Each week Paul Kent and Dave Hamilton come to you sharing their gigging experiences, tips and tricks learned, and interviews with other weekend warriors and pros. Wanna talk shop with your musical buddies? Look no further than GigGab!
Keep Your Feet Moving
This week starts with some Cool Stuff Found in terms of apps for your phone that might just make your life easier. Then, Paul and Dave get into the question: where are you and your band going? What are your plans. Your two favorite weekend warriors talk about how they're keeping their feet moving, creating the opportunities to keep things moving forward. Press play and then share your thoughts with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 00:00:00 Gig Gab 272 - Monday, September 21, 2020
* 00:04:18 Brad-CSF-271-Facebook Watch app for TV
* 00:05:40 Dan-CSF-Mixing Station for your iPhone
* 00:07:30 What are your plans?
* Hope is Not a Strategy
* 00:10:58 Keeping Your Band Engaged
* Surveillance Testing for COVID
* 00:27:28 COVID Provisions in Contract Riders
* “Keep Your Feet Moving”
* Marc Geiger on The Lefsetz Podcast
* 00:54:48 Gig Gab 272
Playing For the Love of Music
One of the silver linings of our current reality is appreciating some of the things we might have taken for granted in the past. Playing music for the love of it certainly tastes a lot sweeter today than it did six months ago, and Dave and Paul talk through some of the current and future benefits of that.
Of course, it's not Gig Gab without some practical advice, and Dave shares his experience — and thoughts about — interacting with a sound engineer for the first time. Then it's on to streaming, Facebook, and more. Press play and you'll hear it all!
* 00:00:00 Gig Gab 271 - Monday, September 14, 2020
* 00:00:53 The Opportunity to Rock!
* 00:06:50 The sound engineer negotiation
* Offer help, build trust
* Ask if what you need is possible
* 00:10:35 Every pro engineer: The vocals question!
* 00:15:04 Monitors: Survival or Spoiled?
* 00:20:41 Playing Music for the love of it
* Covid brings that?
* 00:33:26 Facebook Isn’t Banning You, But You Should Move Anyway
* Twitch for Musicians
* 00:51:36 GG 271 Outtro
* John Perry Barlow
Where is Live Music Going?
What's the future of live music going to look like? Pandemic or not, the momentum of change was already palpable. Did the pandemic accelerate it? Listens as Paul and Dave share their thoughts on what they're seeing and where it's going.
But first, a few Cool Things Found, including a new Logic plug-in AND a new feature in Zoom. Press play, and join your two favorite weekend warriors. Don't forget: Always Be Performing!
* 00:00:00 Gig Gab 270 - Wednesday, September 9, 2020
* 00:03:23 CSF-iZotope RX 8
* 00:07:22 CSF-Zoom Adds High Fidelity Audio
* 00:14:29 Having to Cancel for Health
* 00:17:52 Booking for 2021
* The Bash (formerly GigMasters)
* 00:19:57 Where is (Live) Music Going?
* Red Rocks Closes until 2021
* 00:39:36 GG 270 Outtro
The Value of Preparation — Gig Gab 269
Paul and Dave dig into their brains… and share what they find! This week it's about the value of preparation. How much work do you put in ahead of the gig? More than that, which bits of your work are truly valuable, and how?
That's what you hear from your two favorite weekend warriors this week. Share your thoughts, would ya? email@example.com Oh — and always be performing!
* 00:00:00 Gig Gab 269 - Monday, August 31, 2020
* 00:04:17 Getting the band(s) back together
* 00:13:05 Mixing Up Your Show
* Fingerpicking vs. Strumming
* Feel (Love Songs vs. Sad Songs vs. Singalongs)
* Mixing by Artist
* 00:19:45 Discipline vs. Systems
* 00:27:20 Are singalongs responsible?
* 00:32:01 GG 269 Outtro
Take The Note
Giving and receiving feedback is never easy. Well, it's super easy if you want to send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org :)
But when you're in a band, that feedback process can be the thing that drives a wedge between band members. Paul and Dave dissect that a little bit in today's show, and borrow a phrase and concept from Dave's theater experiences: Take the Note.
Both Paul and Dave are getting offered gigs, and are turning down more than they're accepting. This has led to them each finding ways to have these conversations amongst their bandmates, though, and they share what they've learned.
Will you share what you've learned? As we said, email@example.com is easy!
* 00:00:00 Gig Gab 268 - Monday, August 24, 2020
* 00:06:00 Constructing Your Band’s “Yes” List
* Keeping the crowd distanced
* The logistics of the stage at the venue
* Testing the bandmembers
* The Do-It-At-Home, COVID-19 Rapid Tests Dave and Paul mentioned (please research yourself!)
* What else? firstname.lastname@example.org
* 00:19:52 Gig Gab Reviews
* 00:20:35 Take the note
* Selling a Moment
* Varying Levels of Commitment to Excellence
* 00:33:31 GG 268
The Etiquette of Subbing
What happens when you sub out for a gig and your original member becomes available? A conundrum! Thankfully Paul and Dave have some thoughts — and recent experiences — to share. On top of that, what's your band doing to stay connected right now? That's perhaps the most important question to answer these days. Without the glue-of-gigs to hold things together, you need something else. Your two favorite weekend warriors talk through that and a few other topics, too! Press play and enjoy... and always be performing!
* 00:00:00 Gig Gab 267 - Monday, August 10, 2020
* 00:05:43 Finding a new gig
* Create Craigslist Saved Searches
* NAMM 2021 is virtual (as is CES)
* 00:16:00 What’s Your Band Doing?
* The Houserockers
* Monkey Fist
* Bitter Pill
* Uptown Celebration
* 00:34:50 Subbing Etiquette
* 00:43:17 Singing with a mask on
* Bitter Pill NH Chronicle Videos
* 00:50:53 Gig Gab 267 Outtro
Customer ReviewsSee All
Awesome guys. Good content. To the point.
Listening to this each week helps me with my fictional writing project about bands and other industry folks. Thanks so much.
Long time listener
I’ve been listening to the show for many years and always look forward to the conversation each week. It’s insightful getting to hear other weekend warriors share their experiences playing music. ABP!
Excellent tips and band conversions!
Love this podcast and look forward to their Band conversations every week !
Thanks guys !