The Casual Sound playing only the finest Indie, Brit-pop, Shoegaze, Baggy, Post-Punk, Twee, and Garage tunes. Every week award-winning club DJ Tyler Jacobson, Jake Ryan (formerly of Danger Radio), and Lenny compile a setlist of the best counter-culture sounds, both new and old. Born of Denver, CO's Indie 101.5 in 2009, the station's weekly Danger Radio show morphed into a podcast at the station's demise. Over its five year lifespan, the podcast generated a healthy international following. After a three year hiatus, Tyler and Jake brought the show back to life as The Casual Sound, and included their good friend Lenny as co-host.
Episode 31: Tyler’s Pandemic Playlist
Has it been a year already? Crazy – only felt like 12 years. Episode 31 is a mix of songs that kept me comfort through the pandemic (so far), new bangers, and some that are classics.
Give it a spin. Share it with a friend.
* Ambulance Ltd – Country Gentleman* Morrissey – Ordinary Boys* Pulp – Bob Lind (the only way is down)* Clearlake – Something To Look Forward To* The Clientele – Lunar Days* Gorillaz – Momentary Bliss* SFA – Hello Sunshine* Piroshka – Everlastingly Yours* Shack – Sgt. Major* Sp!n – Landslide* Distant Voices – Lights of The City* Shader – Time Is Right* DePhot – Let Me Go
Episode 30: There’s something in the water down under
THE BIG THREE OH!
Yes, we know we’re the sweethearts of the the “wildly consistent output” genre of the America’s exploding Brit-Pop and Shoegaze podcast scene – but for this Jake Ryan curated episode (and probably at least one more episode in the future) the focus shifts somewhat (not entirely) below the globe’s belt buckle and onto Australia. Now, one thing I want to make absolutely clear…. there is no “down under” – it could be “up there” since there’s no top or bottom of space, ya got that? Ok. – moving along.
* Suitcase – The New Electric Sound* You Don’t Say! – The Flowers* Thinktank – Airiel* Eleven – Last Dinosaurs* Before I Am – The Belligerents* Cameo – Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever* Sweetie – FRITZ* Young – Pixey* Not My Baby – Alvvays* Mango Trees – Shy Nature* Sea Of Green – The Ocean Blue
Episode 29: New Year – New Jake Episode
2020 is over – what better way to celebrate than with a playlist from Jake Ryan?
* The Flowers – Origami* The Mary Onettes – Lost* Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart* Shader – Don’t You Forget About Me* Crushed Beaks – History* Tamaryn – Heavenly Bodies* The Depreciation Guild – November* Fazerdaze – Little Uneasy* Airiel – Bloom* Ringo Deathstarr – Kaleidoscope* Johnny Marr – There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Episode 28: Santa Delivers A Jake Ryan Episode.
The physics behind St. Nick delivering presents to every boy and girl dictate that Santa would burst into flames. So, clearly, that calls Santa’s existence into serious doubt. I mean, it’s probably b******t, right? But, then, he delivers the first Jake Ryan episode in like 9 months via the internet, and it’s a gift for the entire world, distributed on Christmas Eve. It’s plausible that this is a Christmas miracle. Suddenly, you’re like “Wait… he might just exist.” Right?
* Trimm Trabb – Blur* Swim – Ambulance LTD* Not So Proud – Tallies* Missing You – Club 8* Televised Mind – Fontaines DC* Everyone Knows Better – Echobelly* Space Age Lovesong – A Flock of Seagulls* Broken Eyes – Doves* Across The Universe – The Curtain Society* Who’s He? – Trashcan Sinatras* Merry X-Mas Everybody – Oasis
Episode 27: I stole most of this from YouTube
The response to the last episode was so fantastic that I couldn’t wait to get another one out. Odd how much of this came from posts in my Facebook feed – but, listen, there are no rules on the road to discovery. No matter how uncool the path is, as long as the destination is cool, it was valid. Anyway, you should leave us a review on Apple podcast. -Tyler
Here are source videos from this episode.
* Pink Oyster Mushroom on a Modular Synth* Tracy L Cattell (The Primitives), Tom Hingley (Inspiral Carpets), Justin Welch (Elastica), David Newton (The Mighty Lemon Drops), Richard March (Pop Will Eat Itself), James Atkin (EMF) – Ever Fallen In Love* The Melody Unit – Nutation 1* The Cure – A Night Like This* Kitchens of Distinction – On Tooting Broadway Station* The Clientele – Paper Planes* Carter USM – This Is How It Feels* Wildhoney – It Hurts To Hear* Beverly – All The Things* Pia Fraus – Octobergirl* James – Really Hard* Soup Dragons – So Sad (I Feel)* The Wendys – Pulling My Fingers Off* Splashh – Lost Your Cool* Happy Mondays – Harmony* Biblio – Dinghy
...This is this!
Remember those friends that could take one band you loved and turn you on to 10 more you never heard of before? Listening to The Casual Sound is like that, without all the cigarette burns on your couch. Get ready to hear classic baggy and britpop, along with new music inspired by the masters.
Not usually a big fan of podcasts, but this one is terrific. The tracklists are always great and the banter is enjoyable without being distracting. Definitely worth a listen if you like shoegaze/baggy/indie or are just a fan of music snobbery in general.