영문 시사뉴스를 쉽게 설명해주는 코리아헤럴드 팟캐스트. 영어신문을 통해 새로운 데일리 뉴스와 영어 학습을 동시에.
462회 서울대 연구팀, 세계 최고 AI 학술대회에 표절논문 제출 / 싸이월드, 유족에 데이터상속… 사진첩 등 접근권한 준다
461회 한국에 상륙한 파라마운트 플러스/ 부산 여행의 낮과 밤
진행자: 김혜연, Beth Eunhee Hong
1. Paramount+ launches in S. Korea on Tving with high hopes, goals
기사요약: 티빙과 손잡고 한국을 아시아의 첫 번째 마켓으로 공략하는 파라마운트 플러스
Korea launch marks critical moment of our expansion as the first time the service lands in Asia: Paramount official
 Paramount+ landed in South Korea Thursday as a free-to-view addition to Tving, local entertainment powerhouse CJ ENM‘s subscription-based streaming platform.
* free-to-view: 무료로 볼 수 있는
* powerhouse: 실세, 동력
 “It is no secret that Korean-made content is becoming one of the most important things in the world. CJ ENM and Tving are playing a crucial part,” Mark Specht, managing director for Central & Northern Europe and Asia in Paramount Global, said in a press conference held at Four Seasons Hotel in Jongno-gu, central Seoul.
* Korean-made 한국에서 만든
 “Asia is the future, especially for streaming. Due to its population, technology and creativity, Asia is the continent to be in if you want to grow in the future. Korea, in particular, is the perfect place to launch our first Paramount+ with a plan to extend services to other Asian markets,” the official added.
* to be in: 있어야 할
* launch: 시작하다, 개시하다
 Paramount+’s partnership allows Tving subscribers to enjoy the content of both platforms, including director Steven Spielberg‘s new blockbuster series “Halo,” starting Thursday.
2. Walk historical paths by day, sail under starlight
기사요약: 과거 한국전쟁의 역사를 품은 도시, 야경과 함께하는 낭만의 도시로 거듭난 부산
Busan, Korea’s largest port city, has something for every hour of the day
 “Oiso, boiso, saiso!” merchants call out at the alleys of Jagalchi Market, the port city’s largest fish market, as they have for decades. The boisterous shouts that mean “Come, look around, and buy,” attract visitors with a friendliness that is increasingly difficult to find in large metropolises.
* boisterous: 활기가 넘치는, 떠들썩한
 The city’s dynamic and diverse culture dates back to when Korean War refugees flocked to the southern tip of the Korean Peninsula. The distinctive characteristics of the new settlers from all parts of the country intermingled in Busan, creating a unique narrative of the city.
* distinctive: 독특한
* intermingled: (사람·생각·색깔 등을) 섞이다
 Like any other city, it would take more than a day for first-time visitors to Busan to fully immerse themselves in the city. But for those who want a Busan 101 that can be crammed into a day, getting to know the city’s history by day and spending time by the sea after sundown might be one way to appreciate the dynamic city.
* crammed: 잔뜩 들어 있는, 벼락치기 공부를 하다
[북스 인터뷰] 문학 번역가, 소제
이번 북스 편에서는 수상 경력이 있는 문학 번역가 소제님와 이야기를 나누었습니다.
In this books episode, we spoke with award-winning literary translator Soje.
460회 매물로 나온 한국 맥도날드 / 여름은 메밀국수
진행자: 조혜림, Naomi Garyan
1. McDonald’s Korea back on sale after six years
기사요약: 국내 버거업계 1위 한국맥도날드가 매물시장에 나오며 다른 글로벌 패스트푸드사들과 같이 매각 러시에 뛰어들었다.
 McDonald’s South Korean arm, the country’s largest burger chain by revenue, is seeking a new owner, joining the latest burger chain sales rush.
*arm: 소매, 지부
*sales rush: 줄줄이 매각
 The company announced on Friday that it will sell 100 percent of its shares and business license here owned by McDonald’s US headquarters, six years after its first attempt.
 Hong Kong-based Affinity Equity Partners is selling Burger King Korea, along with the burger chain’s Japanese unit. Meanwhile, Korean chemicals conglomerate KG Group is seeking an exit after its five-year ownership of KFC Korea. Mom’s Touch, a home-grown chicken burger chain owned by private equity firm Korea F&B Holding, recently delisted from the nation’s second bourse Kosdaq in a move to search for a new owner.
*home-grown: 집에서 기른
*bourse: 증권 거래소
*in a move: ~하기 위해서
2. Summer is for buckwheat noodles
기사요약: 여름의 양식, 메밀국수 맛집 소개
 One of the summertime dining staples in Korea is buckwheat noodles.
Even when the scorching weather makes one easily lose their appetite, it is hard to resist the slurpable noodles that can be served either hot or cold.
*dining staple: 주식
*slurpable: 후루룩 마실 수 있는
 The naturally gluten-free buckwheat contains abundant lysine, an essential amino acid which is missing in most plant-based vegan diets. It is also known to strengthen blood vessels and help improve cholesterol levels, according to multiple food nutrition studies.
*lysine: 리신 (아미노산의 일종)
 As Korea’s memil guksu — a type of buckwheat noodle dish in which the noodles and dipping broth are usually served separately — has gained popularity, there has been much debate about its origins. A vast majority of reviews based on historical archives today seem to give much weight to speculations that it is a modified version of the Japanese soba, which supposedly landed in Korea during the Japanese colonization.
Apart from the memil guksu, Koreans have enjoyed buckwheat noodles in a variety of different ways since the Joseon era.
*give weight to: ~중요시 하다, 비중을 두다
*supposedly: 추정상, 아마
459회 지방선거 이후 양당이 주의해야 할 것은? / 서울시 인구 950만 명 아래로
진행: 박준희, Beth Eunhee Hong
1. [Reporter’s Notebook] 3 consecutive defeats not enough for Democratic Party to get it together
기사 요약: 지방선거가 끝나고 책임론이 불거지는 지금 시점에서 앞으로 양당이 주의해야 할 것은?
 In 2017, the main opposition Democratic Party of Korea had high hopes. Taking power after the impeachment of former President Park Geun-hye, some in the party had expressed hopes it would remain the ruling party for at least 20 years.
* Main opposition party: 제1야당
* High hopes: 부푼 희망
* Impeachment: 탄핵
 The party got off to a stellar start, dominating the elections that followed. It seemingly had nothing to fear, since the conservative bloc shattered to pieces in the wake of the historical political event.
* Stellar: 화려한, 눈부신, 뛰어난
* Seemingly: 겉보기에는
* Shattered: 산산조각
* In the wake of: ~의 결과로서
 The conservatives had suffered humiliation in elections and internal turmoil for years to reach where it is today, and perhaps its journey is what the Democratic Party should take into account in preparing its own itinerary of apologies, reforms and overhauls.
* Humiliation: 굴욕
* Turmoil: 혼란; 소란
* Take into account: ~를 고려하다
* Overhaul: 점검; 정비 / Verb로는 overtake라는 뜻으로도 사용됨
 The road it must take now will be painful, as many overarching reform measures have been for major political parties before gaining the power to fight shoulder to shoulder in presidential elections.
* Overarching: 상당히 중요한
* Shoulder to shoulder: 어깨를 나란히 하고; 협력하여
기사 원문: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220606000121
2. Seoul population continues fall to below 9.5m; down to 7.2m by 2050: report
기사 요약: 서울 인구 950만명 아래로, 1천만명 무너진지 6년만
 The number of South Koreans living in the capital Seoul is declining sharply, and will continue to drop in the coming decades, according to government data Monday.
* Sharply: 급격히; 뚜렷하게
* To drop: 내려가다, 떨어트리다
 Seoul’s total population of native South Koreans reached 9.49 million as of May according to the Ministry of the Interior and Safety, showing an alarming decline.
* Native: 토박이; 출신인 사람
* Alarming: 걱정스러운; 두려운
* Decline: 감소
 The recent slide in the city’s native South Korean population was mainly caused by residents moving out of the capital to new towns surrounding Seoul, according to the government-run think tank Seoul Institute.
* Slide: 하락; 미끄러지다
* Residents: 거주자; 주민
* Surrounding: 인근의; 주위의
 A recent boost of housing supply in Gyeonggi Province has propelled the outflow of residents from Seoul seeking more affordable and bigger housing, the think tank said. The city’s low fertility rate has also contributed to the slide, it added.
* Boost: 증가
* Propel: 나아가게 하다
* Outflow: 유출; 나감
* Contribute to: ~에 기여하다
[코리아헤럴드 팟캐스트 구독]
네이버 오디오 클립(아이폰, 안드로이드 겸용): https://audioclip.naver.com/channels/5404
팟빵 (안드로이드): http://www.podbbang.com/ch/6638
458회 송강호 칸영화제 한국 첫 남우주연상·박찬욱 감독상/ 서울재즈페스티벌 개막
진행자: 홍유, Beth Eunhee Hong
1. Park Chan-wook wins best director, Song Kang-ho, best actor at Cannes
기사요약: 송강호 칸영화제 한국 첫 남우주연상·박찬욱 감독상
1) One of the world’s most prestigious film festivals has once again acknowledged the power of South Korean cinema.
*prestigious: 명망있는, 일류의
*acknowledged: 인정된, 정평 있는
2) South Korea took home two major titles -- Park Chan-wook won best director for “Decision to Leave” and Song Kang-ho won best actor for “Broker” – at the 75th Cannes Film Festival that ended Saturday.
*title: 제목, 직함, 작위
3) Park’s thriller-romance film, “Decision to Leave,” about a detective who comes across a widow who is a prime suspect in his murder investigation, stars Korean actor Park Hae-il and Chinese actor Tang Wei.
*prime suspect: 주요 용의자
*investigation: 수사, 조사
4) In accepting his award, Park expressed gratitude to fans for going to theaters and looked forward to a bright future for cinema.
*gratitude: 고마움, 감사
*look forward to: ~를 기대하다
5) “With the dreadful pandemic, there were times when we struggled due to the theaters closing down, but at the same time, we all realized how precious the existence of theaters had been to us. I am confident that we will keep safeguarding the cinemas in difficult times, like we have been through the pandemic,” Park said in Korean.
*dreadful: 끔직한, 무시무시한
*existence: 존재, 생활
2. Seoul Jazz Festival soothes with eclectic music
기사요약: 서울재즈페스티벌 개막
1) Seoul Jazz Festival, which ran from Friday to Sunday at the Olympic Park’s 88 Jandi Madang, in southeastern Seoul, was filled with the audience’s joy, love, freedom, happiness and laughter.
*run from … to …: (날짜)부터 (날짜)까지 진행된다
2) With the return of the landmark annual outdoor jazz fest after a two-year break as South Korea scrapped most of its COVID-19 social distancing restrictions, the first day of the fest kicked off under a scorching sun.
*scrap: 폐기하다, 버리다
*scorching: 모든 걸 태워 버릴 듯이 더운
3) About 10,000 festivalgoers flocked to the venue, hanging out on picnic mats and chairs on the grass while live music filled the air. While some were seen wearing shorts and tank tops, many were equipped with sunglasses, caps and umbrellas to avoid the glaring sunlight.
*flock: 모이다, 떼 지어 가다
*glaring: 너무 밝은, 눈부신
4) While the festival offered jazz music and a diverse range of live performances, the Friday lineup mostly included global artists. The event began with Los Angeles-based jazz trio Moonchild and the audience welcomed the act with loud clapping and shouts.
*…-based: 근거가 있는, …에 기지[기반]를 둔
호스트 소리 개선
자주 듣는데 여전히 마이크 개선 안된 것 같아요. 게스트는 괜찮은데 호스트 소리 진짜 작아서 이상해요ㅎㅎㅎㅎ 관리자님 444회 한번 들어보세요..
리뷰 좀 보고 개선해주세요
오늘 우연히 처음 들었는데 메인 호스트?여성분?
영어실력이 문제인지 말하는 방식이 문제인지 고등학교 취미 방송반보다 매끄럽지 않은 진행에 놀랐네요.
방송 전에 내용을 읽고 오시는건지 계속 끊기고 주저하는 순간들에 내용에 집중이 안되네요.
문장마다 긴가민가 망설이는게 컨셉이 아니라면 진행실력 개선이 필요해보입니다.
처음으로 들어보는 팟캐스트인데 음질이 정말 최악이네요… 어떻게 학생들이 취미로 만드는 유튜브들보다 음질이 나쁠 수가 있죠? 452회는 외국인 진행자분보다 한국인 메인 진행자 분 마이크 상태가 더 안 좋네요… 깜짝 놀랐습니다…; 내용은 좋은데 오디오 only인 팟캐스트에서 음질을 이렇게까지 신경 안쓰시다니요. 다 좋은데 음질 때문에 못 듣겠네요. 다른 에피소드들 보면 이 정도는 아닌 것 같지만 그래도 음량이 너무 작거나 하는 문제가 많아 보입니다…