We're a global health company contributing to the systemic improvement of health care delivery and the health of communities.
Ep. 230: How COVID-19 impacted consumerism and how healthcare organizations can adapt
Even before the COVID-19 global pandemic, consumers were asking providers for more autonomy and convenience with their healthcare. Given the pandemic, there has been a subsequent boost in healthcare consumerism, pushing patients to adopt the patient engagement technologies at a much faster rate. In this episode, Sue Martin, vice president, financial alignment at Cerner, and Rick Gundling, senior vice president, professional practice at HFMA, discuss the impact that COVID-19 has had on consumerism.
Tune in to hear Sue and Rick discuss:
• How the rapid increase in consumerism has impacted the healthcare industry (1:39)
• The largest behavior differences between pre-pandemic patient behavior and today, and healthcare organizations’ reactions to the change in patient behavior (3:25)
• Helpful strategies that healthcare organizations can leverage to empower and support patients as they navigate a changing landscape (8:26)
• Industry insight into consumer expectations moving forward (13:49)
Ep. 229: Combatting clinician burnout
In this episode, Dr. Lu de Souza, Vice President & Chief Medical Officer, Cerner, is joined by Dr. Tania Tajirian, Chief Medical Information Officer, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. They discuss the topic of clinician burnout, what factors play a role in burnout, and lessons learned in tackling this issue.
Tune in to hear Dr. de Souza and Dr. Tajirian these questions:
• How are EHRs impacting clinician burnout? (02:17)
• Why taking a multi-prong approach is important in tackling this issue? (06:22)
• What are the top three or four things you (Dr. T) have learned through this process? (16:31)
• What is coming up in your strategy immediately, and what is coming in the next five years? (18:59)
• Share some wisdom that has helped you in your journey. (22:33)
Ep. 228: How TEFCA impacts the future of healthcare
In this episode, Josh Mast, director & product regulatory strategist at Cerner, is joined by fellow associate Hans Buitendijk, director of interoperability strategy, and special guest Mariann Yeager, CEO at The Sequoia Project. Through their own experiences, they discuss TEFCA (Trusted Exchange Framework and Common Agreement), including what it is, how it impacts healthcare providers today, and how it can impact healthcare in the future, both locally and globally.
Tune in to hear Josh, Hans, and Mariann answer these questions:
• What is TEFCA? (01:39)
• Why is that such an important topic for users and healthcare providers? (03:02)
• What role is the Sequoia project playing within this trusted exchange network? (04:44)
• What do you see as the ultimate goal in implementing TEFCA? (06:15)
• What do you think are the biggest challenge for achieving that goal? (07:55)
• What is the next big milestone for TEFCA? (08:47)
• What advice would you give healthcare organizations going forward? (10:13)
• What does healthcare data-sharing look like over the next 5-to-10 years? (11:48)
• Do you believe that U.S. policies like TEFCA have a potential worldwide impact on healthcare exchange? (14:50)
Ep. 227: Breaking down bulk APIs
In this episode, Dick Flanigan, senior vice president, Cerner, is joined by fellow associate Rob Helton, senior director of platform management. They discuss the upcoming bulk API requirement, stemming from the 2015 CEHRT Cures Update, on health systems as well as how this new functionality will help advance innovation in healthcare.
Tune in to hear Dick and Rob answer these questions:
• Why are APIs important for the industry? (2:00)
• Why are APIs so exciting? (4:45)
• What kind of value does Bulk API add to the future? (7:23)
• What is FHIR? (8:41)
• What is required of health systems when it comes to the January 2023 deadline? (10:40)
• What challenges will organizations face, and how is Cerner helping address those challenges? (12:26)
• What does the future hold for clients and consumers in an API enabled world? (13:52)
Ep. 226: Breaking down the No Surprises Act
In this episode, Dick Flanigan, senior vice president, Cerner, is joined by fellow associates Sue Martin, vice president, financial alignment, and Josh Mast, director, regulatory strategy. They discuss the impact of the No Surprises Act (NSA) on health systems as well as how this new federal legislation may help patients avoid unexpected and potentially devastating medical bills.
Tune in to hear Sue and Josh answer these questions:
• What healthcare problems does the NSA help solve? (1:29)
• Which healthcare players are expected to accomplish the goals of the NSA? (3:42)
• How does the NSA impact surprise billing, balance billing and good faith estimates? (5:24)
• What challenges are health systems facing as they work to comply with the NSA? (6:47)
• What part of the healthcare process will see the greatest workload? (10:44)
• What changes can consumers and health systems expect around price transparency? (12:09)
• What’s the burden on providers and how can Cerner help? (14:46)
• What’s next for the NSA? (19:25)
Ep. 225: Addressing healthcare workforce challenges
In this episode, Dick Flanigan, senior vice president, Cerner, is joined by Nate Shinagawa, FACHE, chief operating officer, Banner Ocotillo Medical Center. They discuss healthcare workforce trends and how organizations can implement strategies around retention, clinician burnout and more.
Amateur but decent content
Sound quality and editing not professionally produced but content on EHR pretty good.