Welcome to the official podcast of php[architect] the industry's leading tech magazine and publisher focused on PHP and web development. Join us to listen to the latest news and tech talk from our conferences, the magazine, and wider PHP community. Subscribe today at phparch.com to see what the leaders in the community and industry and talking about.
Functional PHP, Laravel Horizon, MFA, Testing with Pest, Taylor Otwell, and more
Eric, John, and Oscar sit down to go over the August 2021 issue, Trimming One’s Sails.
* Grokking algebraic structures and functional programming with PHP
* Laravel Horizon and diving into worker queues
* Multi-factor authentication and why you should use add it to your application.
* Testing with Pest PHP and how it’s different from PhpUnit.
* Eric’s interview with Taylor Otwell, creator of Laravel.
* Annotations, using them in legacy code and PHP 8’s implementation.
* Interfaces and patterns for using them.
* How step debugging improves your productivity.
Interview with Scott Keck-Warren
Eric van Johnson and John Congdon interview Scott Keck-Warren, who wrote an article on Boosting User Perceived Performance with Laravel Horizon, in the August 2021 issue.
* Getting started programming with QBasic
* Working with PHP, Laravel, and picking up new languages.
* Scaling with queues and tasks to send surveys and synchronize data.
* The benefits of using Horizon.
* Building a youtube channel for new PHP developers.
Interview with Ken Marks
Eric van Johnson and John Congdon talk to Ken Marks about his article in the July issue, Mentoring and Teaching PHP and his new book PHP Web Development with MySQL
* How he got started writing and why he wrote a book.
* How he teaches students to build web applications with PHP and MySQL.
* Getting started in teaching PHP.
* Becoming part of his local web development community.
* Staying motivated as a student or intern.
Elasticsearch, Teaching PHP, Design Patterns, People, Joe Watkins, and more
Listen to Eric, John, and Oscar discuss the articles in the July 2021 issue, Deep Dive into Search.
* Using Elasticsearch in an application.
* Archery (for some reason).
* Password complexity and entropy.
* Why you should use a password manager.
* Eric’s interview with Joe Watkins about Bus Factors.
* Teaching and mentoring new developers.
* Rocky Linux, a CentOS alternative.
* Soylent Green, Stakeholders, and Requirements.
* When to use the Decorator Pattern.
* Returning to a new normal.
Debugging, Automation, GitHub Actions, Bug Bounties, and API Security
Eric, John, and Oscar chat about the articles in the June 2021 issue, Debug, Rinse, Repeat.
* Git Hooks and Automation
* Make files
* GitHub Actions
* Bug Bounties
* Docker Swarm
* Longhorn PHP and in-person conferences.
* Approaches for Securing APIs
* Contributing to Open-Source
Interview with Joseph Maxwell
Eric and John talk to Joseph Maxwell, from Swiftotter, about ecommerce, debugging, and his article in the June 2021 issue, Debug, Rinse, Repeat.
* Debugging with purpose in web applications and under pressure.
* Coming from an ecommerce background.
* His podcast “Smash the Bug” and upcoming book “The Art of Ecommerce Debugging.”
* Understanding a bug or problem from the beginning with TAD.
* Why debugging is such a critical skill.
* What makes a developer “great.”
* Why you should be using Xdebug with PHP applications.