A personal transformation podcast aimed mainly at GenX’rs who are burned out from the revved-up mindset that has driven them to where they are—both professionally and personally—and are searching for more fulfilling, authentic and meaningful ways to move forward. The show's format is set up as lively conversations, storytelling and sharing of advice between host, Jeff Smith and his various guests—all of whom have had a unique and distinct experience of metaphorically shifting from "vrooming" to "veering" in how they've approached certain aspects of their lives.
Kelley Sgroi – Empowering Women to Gain Unshakable Self Confidence
Kelley Sgroi is a licensed therapist and women’s empowerment coach. She helps women gain unshakeable self confidence so that they can embrace their lives with passion and purpose. My greatest passion is to help women recognize that the roles and expectations placed on us at birth are completely out of date. It’s time we rewire the way we think about ourselves as women and live lives that make us happy! I am a mother of grown triplets, a 9 year cancer survivor, a thriver after narcissistic abuse and became a business owner at the age of 49.
Kelley Sgroi Vroom Vroom Veer Stories
* Grew up in Connecticut; adopted when she was six months old; had this feeling that she better be perfect or she would be given back; she felt damaged because her own mother didn't want her* Had two biological siblings and she was aware that she was the only child given up for adoption which contributed to her feelings of abandonment; she felt like the broken child* The eating disorder came from the thought "If I keep the outside perfect, noone would notice that she was that damaged; she obsessed about her body image; a friend suggested she might have "exercise bulimia"* Burned many bridges when she started college; these people were my friends and now they are not I did something stupid so now I need to run away; she struggled with never feeling "good enough"* Started talking about having kids with her first husband thought it was time to find her biological family; then she learned that she was a product of a rape* Went in for infertility treatments; then got pregnant with triplets; her body gave out around 30 weeks; had an emergency c-section about 9 weeks early; babies remained in the hospital 7,8 and 9 weeks * Marriage started getting shaking at the 10 year point; with the added responsibilities of the kids; all the I'm not good enough to be a wife, mom et al voices came back* At the age of 43 changed careers, earned a Master’s degree and became a therapist. Now I dedicate my life to helping women recognize their inner strength and beauty.
Ken Greene – The Engineer of Finance
Ken Greene (aka the Engineer of Finance) is a financial advisor and founder of Greene Finance & Insurance. Ken began his career as a professional engineer who subscribed to a lucrative investment portfolio that included aggressive joint ventures, real estate, and the stock market.
However, shortly after the market crash in 2008, he pivoted to the insurance and financial industry - where he quickly realized he was one of the few people who cared about educating their clients rather than just selling to them.
He recognized that the financial industry needed to be run with precision and integrity like the engineering community he had come from.
Subsequently, he founded his own company, Greene Finance & Insurance, and has developed an approach to finance with an emphasis on growing your wealth and protecting it with traditional financial principles and investments off Wall Street. His desire to continue to educate and help people led to the creation of his podcast, ENGINEER OF FINANCE, where he talks about how to enjoy today and have a wealthier tomorrow.
Ken Greene Vroom Veer Stories
* Grew up in Morristown New Jersey and did his summers in Annapolis Maryland; his Dad opened the the first "Computer Land" Franchise in Morristown; Ken got to play around with circuit boards* Summer's on Chesapeake Bay at his Grandma's house; sailing, water skiing, crabbing; at age 11 driving a 40 foot boat and helping rescue other boats stuck in the water * At age 17 he was a college freshman in the Electrical Engineering program in Reno, NV; when he thinks back about his behavior is college feels it is "cringe-worthy"; learned to forgive himself past, and present * While still in school he landed an internship at Mallory Ignition in Carson City, NV; got hired after the internship and had fun working on race cars* End up working for SBC and then AT&T as an outside plant design manager for about 5 years; he got tired of the endless number of useless meetings; took a job as a civil engineer while going back to school* Finished up his CE school in 2008 when all construction stopped; so did a pivot and started selling insurance; didn't realize how much people didn't really like insurance agents* Surprised by the insurance and finance industry; more about sales and profit and less about educating clients; now bring engineering rigor to his client's finances
Dr. Allen Lycka – Thriving after a Near-Death Experience
Dr. Allen Lycka (pronounced LIKE-uh) is acknowledged as one of the leading cosmetic dermatologists in the world. A pioneer in cosmetic surgery, he helped develop several new technologies and has spoken on podiums around the globe.
Dr. Allen Lycka Vroom Veer Stories
* Walking around Disneyland and his wife is asking him what's wrong? His foot was "flapping" and dragging on the ground* The diagnosis after all the tests were in conclusive; so more tests! * Finally one doctor declared that he had ALS; Allen didn't really believe him; but still start going through the stages of grief at his own looming death* After the depression stage, instead of accepting the fact that he had ALS he decided to do his own research; he found another person who had been diagnosed with ALS but didn't think he really had it* Found the doctor who treated this other person; he had correctly diagnosed that this was Chronic Lyme Disease and could be treated with antibiotics * Great story about how we need to struggle in life to learn and grow; without the struggle we grow weak and die* Great story about enthusiasm and how it can make or break any project
Rene Brent – Practice Happy Now (BOV)
Rene Brent is Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist, Relapse prevention specialist an #1 International Bestseller author of the book How Big Is Your BUT?. She is an international speaker and on faculty for The Institute of Interpersonal Hypnotherapy. Rene has been an RN for over 25 years and has worked in ICU, Trauma/ER and Recovery Room. She helps her clients use the power of the deep inner mind to release blocks , let go of addictive behavior and reach personal and professional goals. She is passionate about teaching people how to Practice Happy and becoming a Happiness Hunter.
Rene Brent Vroom Veer Stories
* As an ER nurse, she was always connecting to patients and helping them calm down
* Went through a difficult divorce; brought up wounds from childhood and an alcoholic mother
* Embraced the "F word"; Forgiveness. Forgave her mother and her ex-husband
* Found a hypnotherapist to help her heal; she immediately knew it was her calling
* How people can get addicted to emotions; rage, anger, worry, even whining
* How to feel emotions in your body and to breathe and connect to that "felt sense"
* How to stop worrying about worrying and reprogram your subconscious mind with positive loops
Rene Brent Links
Practice Happy Now
Rene Brent Hypnosis
Lin Eleoff Lawyer, Life Coach, Entrepreneur (BOV)
Lin Eleoff Says:
I never wanted to be that lawyer. You know, the kind with the corner office in a fancy schmancy law firm.
The kind who pretends to be happy with her life while working 60 and 80 hours a week.
The kind whose mind is focused solely on “billable hours.”
And making partner.
And looking the part.
Just the thought of being that kind of lawyer makes want to do my favorite TV lawyer impersonation and scream, “I object.”
I’m the kind of lawyer that wants to help you avoid having to hire a lawyer because you suddenly find yourself in legal hot water.
I want to show you ways to do a lot of the “legal stuff” yourself, so that when you’re ready to hire a lawyer, you’ll have done most of the work already. Ta-da… fewer billable hours!
Lin Eleoff Vroom Veer Stories
* Age 11, wrote a letter to a local TV station to get a job on a TV show
* Driving to a radio station with an audition tape, got lost; landed at a TV station; got a job
* Worked on Radio during the week and did weather on TV on the weekends
* Climbed the ladder at the TV station, did sports, locations, and eventually was an anchor person
* Won an award for a 4 part news series about people who need face reconstruction surgery.
* After 4th child, moved to the states from Toronto; was ready to go to Law School
* Loved law school, never really wanted to be a law firm lawyer...had to create her own space
* Started exploring coaching as a personal growth endeavor, not intending to become a coach
* Started a coaching practice first then set up a DIY Legal Toolkit
* So she is now an entrepreneur, coach, lawyer
* Talked about Another Freaking Growth Opportunity when she went through a divorce
Lin Eleoff Connections
AK Turner – Vagabonding with Kids (BOV)
AK Turner is The New York Times bestselling author of the Vagabonding with Kids series (Brown Books) as well as This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, Mommy Had a Little Flask, and Hair of the Corn Dog (Fever Streak Press). Her works have received a starred review from Publishers Weekly, an IPPY Award for Humor, and been named in BookLife’s Top 5 Indie Books of 2014.
AK Turner has traveled to Greece, Ireland, France, the Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Canada, the Netherlands, Finland, and Italy, and completed extended trips (two months or more) to Russia, Palau, Vanuatu, Mexico, Morocco, England, Spain, Australia, and Brazil.
She is a contributor to the anthologies Leave the Lipstick, Take the Iguana (Traveler’s Tales), Little White Dress (Mill Park Publishing), I Just Want to Be Perfect and I Just Want to Be Alone (Throat_Punch Books). Her work has been featured online at Scary Mommy, In the Powder Room, The Huffington Post, Nickmom, Felicity Huffman’s What the Flicka?, and Artocratic, among others, and in a variety of print publications.
She is a former humor columnist, founded “The Writers’ Block” on Radio Boise, serves on the board of the Idaho Writers Guild, and speaks at conferences and in live comedy events. A former Writer-in-Residence for the City of Boise and Idaho State Parks, she lives in Idaho with her husband and two children, but travels frequently as a part-time digital nomad.
AK Turner Vroom Veer Stories
* Grew up in Maryland, studied Russian, even visited Russia at age 15
* Studied Russian through college, and suddenly fell out of love with Russian
* Met her husband (to be at the time) on a trip to Cabo, then moved to California
* Waited tables and scrubbed toilets while "trying to be a writer"
* Husband figure out he hated his dream job in one month...that was quick
* Hubby started a new gig working on boats for movie shoots around the world
* Landed in Boise, finally got some traction talking to an editor from Penguin
* The penguin deal fell through after two years of talk (groan)
* Self-published This Little Piggy went to the Liquor Store, and is New York Times Best Seller
* Continues to travel; Vagabonding with Kids is a book series, blog, and a lifestyle.
AK Turner Links
Customer ReviewsSee All
Great conversations with real-life authentic stories
The stories Jeff tells and shares from his amazing guests are so relatable. It’s an inspiring and uplifting show!
Incredible interviews full of inspiration. I love the energy Jeff and his guests bring to this podcast- a real joy to listen to!
I love this show. If you like hearing interesting stories about how people navigated life to get where they are today, this show is for you. Jeff and his guests won't disappoint!