Prolific readers Alice Slater and Bethany Rutter take a literary theme, from ghost stories to crime to fat women, and chat about it for the next 40 minutes.
Follow us on Twitter @WhatPagePod (https://twitter.com/WhatPagePod)
Memoir in the Dream House
Alice and Bethany discuss non-fiction works by two queer writers that each take different formal approaches to the idea of 'memoir'. And keep listening at the end of the episode for Alice's chat with Michelle Tea- a delight.
Stories from Northern Ireland
Alice and Bethany discuss two short story collections by female authors from Northern Ireland - Multitudes by Lucy Caldwell and Sweet Home by Wendy Erskine.
Joined once again by Jordan Taylor-Jones, Alice and Bethany go through their anticipated books of the year - some of which they've already read...
Give the People What They Want
We robbed you of a 2019 faves episode by doing a 'best of the decade' instead, but we can't bear the thought of leaving you wanting, so here's a roundup of some of our faves of last year, PLUS special guest, Jordan Taylor-Jones.
The Best Of The Decade
Alice and Bethany forego a best of the year episode and instead compile a best of the decade list while you listen!
1. Just Kids - Patti Smith (2010)
2. Dark Matter - Michelle Paver (2010)
3. The Poison Tree - Erin Kelly (2011)
4. A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan (2011)
5. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (2012)
6. Station Eleven - Emily St John Mandel (2014)
7. Dumplin' - Julie Murphy (2015)
8. The Vegetarian - Han Kang (2015)
9. Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh (2015)
10. The Girls - Emma Cline (2016)
11. Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race - Reni Eddo Lodge (2017)
12. The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas (2017)
13. Conversations With Friends - Sally Rooney (2017)
14. Attrib. - Eley Williams (2017)
15. Lullaby - Leila Slimani (2018)
16. Give Me Your Hand - Megan Abbott (2018)
17. Convenience Store Woman - Sayaka Murata (2018)
18. Skin Deep - Liz Nugent (2018)
19. The Red Word - Sarah Henstra (2019)
20. Fun Home - Alison Bechdel (WE F****D UP THIS WAS ACTUALLY 2006!)
Alice and Bethany head to North London and into the world of prying middle-aged women with Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller and Bitter by Francesca Jakobi.
Customer ReviewsSee All
I love this!
The only issue with this podcast is that it makes me want to buy all the books that Bethany and Alice mention. The two hosts are engaging and hilarious (and so well read!) It's a fun conversation about books that I very much want to read, and I'm so glad they've started this. I can't wait to hear more!