"As we shift to going back to school during this pandemic, there is an opportunity for everybody to ask, 'what do you have control over in your life?'"
In this episode of the Mindspace podcast, Dr. Joe speaks with Dr. Tamara Soles. Tamara is a psychologist specializing in child mental health and well-being. Her practice focuses primarily on coaching parents on how to best support their children in developing resilience. She is the founder and director of The Secure Child clinic, which provides therapy for children, coaching for parents, and workshops and classes. Her website DrTamaraSoles.com has lots of useful content for parents as well as links to her podcast, This Hour Has 50 Minutes.
Dr. Soles and Dr. Joe spoke about:
- The challenges associated with back-to-school in general
- The unique challenges of back-to-school during the pandemic
- How Tamara helps parents cope with the anxiety through meaning-making
- The impact of government and school board safety plans
- Early warning signs of distress that parents and teachers should be looking out for
- Tamara’s best strategies to navigate back to school anxiety
- How to think about supporting and disciplining a child in difficult moments