Family Law Now delivers useful commentary and insights into timeless and trending family law issues.
Divorce And Property Sharing 101
Russell Alexander, Bill Rogers, and Rick Peticca will be discuss matters of property division in divorce and family law.
The Return To In Person Family Court Hearings - Zoom Divorce
1. The “Zoom” Divorce Hearing
2. Presumption guidelines and their implications
a. Types of virtual hearings
b. What hearings are in-person and which ones are not
3. Judicial Regions and Different Approaches
4. The Importance of In-Person Hearings
5. Pros & Cons of Virtual Hearings
a. Impediments to Virtual Hearings
b. Hybrid Options
6. Plan for Bumps in the Road
7. Zoom Divorce Tips & Tricks
8. CaseLines & Divorce Act Changes
9. The Court’s Return to ‘Normal’
10. Closing Comments
Divorce & Business Valuations
Russell Alexander hosts business valuation experts, Melanie Russell and Jason Kwiatkowski, to offer their expertise with tips and best practices as it applies to divorce & family law. In this episode, the panelists will cover the following topics:
• What is a business valuation?
• When would a valuation be required?
• Types of valuations and reports
• Risks / Pitfalls
• How can two experts come up with different values?
• What assumptions are most likely to be attacked / different interpretations?
• Why does the court like 'hot-tubbing' so much?
• Top tips for business owners, spouses, and lawyers
Common Law Separations - Advanced Topics
Russell Alexander, and our associate family lawyers, Bill Rogers and Adam Borer cover The Definition of Spouse, Spousal Support Revisited, Property Claims, Resulting Trust, Joint Family Venture, Constructive, Trust, The Home: DOS or Market Value, Pensions, Legislative Reform & Other Considerations, Tort & Damages.
Press Conference Calling for Courts to Continue Remote Hearings
Over 1,000 Ontario Family Lawyers signed a petition for remote court hearings to increase access to justice. The Ad Hoc steering committee created the petition and hosted a virtual press conference to educate the public, and the decision-makers of the Ontario court system.
The panel includes Russell Alexander and Nafisa Nazarali of Russell Alexander Collaborative Family Lawyers, Brian Galbraith of Galbraith Family Law, Ram Shankar of Shankar Law Office, and Gene C. Colman of Gene C. Colman Family Law Centre. This podcast episode is a recording of the virtual press conference hosted on May 10, 2022.
Common Law Separations: Rights and Obligations
1. The Arrival of the toothbrush
2. Definition of Spouse
3. The Main Similarities to Marriage
4. How Common Law Couples are Different than Married Couples
5. Child Support
6. Spousal Support
8. Joint Family Venture
9. Parenting Rights & Responsibilities
10. When Common Law Couples Separate
11. Limitation Periods for Common Law Partners