Before getting into teaching full-time, Gibson Biddle was VP of Product at Netflix and CPO at Chegg (a textbook rental and homework help company). He now spends his days speaking, writing, and hosting workshops on product leadership, strategy, and culture. There are very few people in the world who’ve worked with, and had an impact on, more product managers.
Thank you to our sponsors for making this episode possible:
• Flatfile: flatfile.com/lenny
• Coda: coda.io/lenny
• PostHog: posthog.com/lenny
In this episode, we cover:
1) Gibson’s career path to VP of Product at Netflix, CPO at Chegg, and eventually teaching full-time.
2) The DHM model: The 3 factors of a product strategy for consumer companies, how you can apply it to your product strategy, and how Gibson used this model for decisions made at Netflix.
3) Five mini case studies of the DHM model that could be applied to Netflix’s strategy.
4) The GEM prioritization model: What are the 3 areas a company can optimize on? What is the fundamental misalignment that destroys startups?
5) How could you start building your product strategy muscle, even when you’re only two weeks into your new role?
6) Building your personal board of directors.
7) What does it take to become a CPO someday?
8) What specifics in a daily routine separate a good product manager from a great product manager?
9) What’s the one piece of advice Gibson has for product managers in their early career?
Where to find Gibson:
• Ask Gib Product Newsletter: https://askgibs.substack.com/
• Gibson’s baby website: www.gibsonbiddle.com
• Intro to product strategy: https://gibsonbiddle.medium.com/intro-to-product-strategy-60bdf72b17e3
Get full access to Lenny's Newsletter at www.lennysnewsletter.com/subscribe