Podcast by Making Cents of Money
Episode 46: Estate Planning
Estate planning is one of the most important aspects of financial preparedness. From wills to power of attorney, we break down the things you need to know and consider on this difficult topic in our latest episode of Making Cents of Money.
• The Conversation Project: https://theconversationproject.org/
• Planning for the Unforeseen (webinar recording): https://youtu.be/LfjixpjkBdY
• Power of Attorney for Healthcare: https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/gac/Forms/Documents/POAHealthCareForm2021.pdf
• Power of Attorney for Property: https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/gac/Forms/Documents/POAProperty2015.pdf
• Estate planning update: The Illinois Transfer on Death Instrument (ISBA, 2013): https://www.isba.org/sections/generalpractice/newsletter/2013/02/estateplanningupdatetheillinoistran
• Estate Facts about Vehicle Transfers in Illinois: https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/vsd275.pdf
Episode 45: Selling a Home
Thinking of selling your home? In our new episode of Making Cents of Money, we breakdown the decisions to weigh and things to consider before you even list your home - and the steps to take to ensure a successful transaction!
• Making Cents of Money episode on Real Estate: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6RKNSvP8xgoqPNuuG74rnF
• IDFPR License Lookup Tool for Checking Realtors’ licenses: https://online-dfpr.micropact.com/lookup/licenselookup.aspx.
• How to Sell HUD Homes: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/sfh/reo/hwtosell
• Sale of Residence – Real Estate Tax Tips: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/sale-of-residence-real-estate-tax-tips
• How to sell your house: A complete guide for sellers (Bankrate): https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate/how-to-sell-your-house/
Episode 44: Shopping for Appliances
Needing (or wanting) to shop a new appliance, but don’t know where to start? Our latest episode of Making Cents of Money breaks down the reasons to buy, how to compare appliances, and what to consider and know before making that big purchase.
• Department of Energy: https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/shopping-appliances
• Energy Star: https://www.energystar.gov/products/ask-the-expert/what-to-consider-when-buying-a-refrigerator
• CFPB Guide on Energy Labels: https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-use-energyguide-label-shop-home-appliances
• CFPB Calculating Energy Costs: https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/cfpb_building_block_activities_calculating-energy-costs_worksheet.pdf
• Incentives in Illinois that Support Energy Efficiency: https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program/il
• FTC How to Evaluate Online Reviews: https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-evaluate-online-reviews
Episode 43: Choosing a Credit Card
Considering a credit card? In our latest episode of "Making Cents of Money," our hosts share their processes for choosing one, the factors you should consider, and goals you should have before making your choice!
• CFPB Consumer Tools: Credit Cards - https://www.consumerfinance.gov/consumer-tools/credit-cards/
• “How do I shop for a credit card? (CFPB, 2011) - https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/blog/how-do-i-shop-for-a-credit-card/
• Conscious Credit webinar - https://youtu.be/hGBXJsmogdY
• CFPB Complaint Portal: www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint
Episode 42: Credit Access
When used responsibly, credit can improve and better one’s life. In this episode of Making Cents of Money, Camaya Wallace Bechard from the University of Illinois Extension joins us again to breakdown the importance of access to credit, options for building and improving credit, and warning signs of discrimination and laws in place to prevent that.
• CFPB Consumer Laws & Regulations: Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) - https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201306_cfpb_laws-and-regulations_ecoa-combined-june-2013.pdf
• FTC Credit and Your Consumer Rights - https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0070-credit-and-your-consumer-rights
• Illinois Fair Housing Provisions - https://www2.illinois.gov/dhr/FilingaCharge/Pages/FAQ_Section_VI.aspx#Q1
• CFPB Analysis of Differences between Consumer- and Creditor-Purchased Credit Scores - https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201209_Analysis_Differences_Consumer_Credit.pdf
• University of Illinois Office for Access & Equity - Disparate Treatment and Disparate Impact - https://oae.illinois.edu/discrimination.html
Report Discrimination and Fraud:
• CFPB Complaint Portal: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
• FTC Report Fraud Portal: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/
Implicit Bias Education Tools:
• Project Implicit, Social Attitudes – Harvard University - https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/index.jsp
• Implicit Bias Module Series – Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity - http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/implicit-bias-training/
University of Illinois Extension Consumer Economics resources - https://extension.illinois.edu/finances or go.illinois.edu/finances
Episode 41: Student Loan Repayment
There have been some big updates in the past few months for federal student loans. In this episode of Making Cents of Money, we take a closer look at the latest federal student loan repayment pause and Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). What are they, and how do they affect borrowers?
Additional resources mentioned in the podcast:
• Federal Student Aid (FSA) website: https://studentaid.gov/
Log into this site for information on your federal student loans and to use the student loan simulator!
• Get Savvy – Student Loan Repayment webinar recording: https://go.uillinois.edu/getsavvy