Robert Cottrell (@robertcottrell), editor of The Browser, joins Erik on this episode.
They talk about:
- The two main errors that publications made in the shift to online after the advent of the web.
- Why paywalls are not an effective model.
- The bond that readers have with individual writers rather than publications, and how business models could change to accommodate that.
- Why long form writing is the most under-appreciated form of art today.
- Lessons to learn from his prolific reading habits.
- The potential for curation by algorithm and what he’s working on in this area.
- How to combat fake news.
- The promise that effective machine translation holds for non-English publications.
Thanks for listening — if you like what you hear, please review us on your favorite podcast platform.
Check us out on the web at villageglobal.vc or get in touch with us on Twitter @villageglobal.
Venture Stories is brought to you by Village Global, is hosted by co-founder and partner, Erik Torenberg and is produced by Brett Bolkowy.