The STaR Coach Show was created for professional coaches. Whether you are an Executive Coach, a Life Coach, a Business Coach or perhaps considering whether you would like to become a coach the show was created for you.
STaR Coaches is all about sharing Strategies, Tools and Resources about the field of coaching. Authors, speakers, successful coaches and industry leaders will share their expertise and wisdom in many different areas-business building, skills sets, internal coaching, external coaching, frameworks and so much more. Each show will run between 20 to 40 minutes and can be accessed on your mobile devices so that you can listen while you exercise, commute, cook, clean, relax or whatever works for you.
Each week every show will offer new insights, wisdom and advice that come from our guests; their stories, journeys and experiences. Tap into the learning to expand your coaching horizons.
About the host:
Meg Rentschler an Executive and Mentor Coach is the host of the STaR Coach Show. She has been working with others to make positive changes in their lives for over 30 years first as a psychotherapist working with couples, individuals and families. Then transitioning into Executive Coaching with a deep commitment to work within organizational environments to help leaders maximize their abilities and the abilities of those they lead to create healthier work environments with more effective communication, productivity and overall well-being.
232: Trauma-Mitigation Coaching: Kemia Sarraf, M.D.
This is an important show full of impactful and relevant issues. The truth is that no one is immune to trauma at some point in life. Join us to hear the truth about trauma.
Dr. Kemia Sarraf, also known as “Dr. K,” is an internist, educator, and physician and leadership coach who focuses on leadership and coaching in and beyond severe burnout, toxic stress, and trauma. She is the go-to expert in this field and the founder and CEO of Lodestar, a professional coaching and consulting firm that uses a 360-degree trauma-aware container for coaching, coach training, leadership training and Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion facilitation. Dr. K is a gifted storyteller and a sought-after speaker who is deeply intuitive and open in sharing her knowledge of intra-traumatic growth. She’s here to share timely and key information to help us with today’s challenges.
● What brought Dr. K to where she is in her journey
● How her son’s leukemia diagnosis at age 13 shaped her life and coach training work
● How Dr. K noticed, in her coaching work with physicians, that “burnout” was a symptom of something deeper and that the term was being weaponized against physicians by administration and management
● How “stepping into choice” is a trauma-mitigating strategy
● Why physicians are more open to coaching rather than therapy
● Dr. K explains the spectrum of stress to trauma, which can be an event or an environment
● Why connection is the key to trauma mitigation
● How trauma primes us for future trauma
● Why we have to recognize and name “Big T traumas” and “Small t traumas”
● How our wounds can become sacred places of wisdom as they heal
● How coaching through trauma differs from therapy
● How the trauma-informed approach doesn’t require the coach to know the source of the pain
● The 360-degree perspective in trauma mitigation
● The rest of the story of Dr. K’s son, Joseph, and how he channeled his pain into purpose
● Holding space for the pain of trauma to be normalized and reframed
● The bright spot of trauma-informed coaching because of COVID: growing recognition in the governing bodies that there is room in the Venn diagram for overlap
● Why the words “trauma” and “victim” are not synonymous
● Dr. K’s program and how it can help physicians for the worst that is yet to come
● Why the best thing for a human in pain is another human
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/drkemia/ (Dr. Kemia)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LodestarTraumaMitigation (Lodestar Trauma Mitigation)
Website: http://www.lodestarpc.com/ (Lodestar)
231: Understanding our Drivers in Leadership and Life: Chris Coultas, Ph.D.
Today’s show dives deep into what drives us, and we’re looking through the lens of how this concept applies to your work with clients, along with your personal development and awareness as a coach. Join us!
Dr. Chris Coultas serves as vice president of product innovation and is a senior consultant at Leadership Worth Following. Since joining the LWF in 2014, Chris has assessed and coached hundreds of leaders. He has spearheaded a number of company-wide research and development initiatives, including the development of the DRiV assessment. It’s a tool that goes a step beyond personality assessments in providing valuable insights into what drives and drains people in their careers. Chris shares with us the benefits of looking into drivers and their impact in the workplace, such as engagement, resilience, burnout, culture fit, teamwork, leadership influence, and overall job performance. He recently wrote Driven Not Drained: Discover Your Path to Career Happiness, Effectiveness, and Influence.
● The importance of understanding the things that either drive us or drain us
● How Chris came into this work
● Why we need to understand the WHY behind our WHAT
● The difference in personality and drivers in determining what drives the behavior
● How Chris explains the components of drive:
○ The behavioral bucket: what we do
○ The affective bucket: what we want to do
○ The cognitive bucket: what we should do
● Why only a few people can accept us in our unfiltered, authentic state
● The importance of a clear sense of pursuing our drivers and avoiding drainers while not overemphasizing either one
● How motivational hooks can help with what drives someone
● How coaches can use drivers to leverage higher motivators with clients
● How awareness of drivers helps clients become aware of biases
● How understanding drivers help coaches with self-awareness and communication styles
● How drivers function in work with groups and teams, based on six factors: impact, insight, connection, harmony, productivity, and meaning
● Chris’ DRiV assessment tool, which contains 28 drivers within each of the six factors, and how they emphasize the positive implications of each driver with accessible language
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chriscoultaslwf/ (Linkedin: Chris Coultas )
https://www.linkedin.com/company/drivennotdrained/ (Linkedin: Driven Not Drained)
Driven Not Drained: Discover Your Path to Career Happiness, Effectiveness, and Influence Hardcover – May 25, 2021
230: Create an Elevator Pitch that Wows with Chala Dincoy
I’m absolutely sure that today’s show will bring value to your coaching business! We are covering a topic that I hear mentioned repeatedly by other coaches, which is how to create an elevator pitch that wows and attracts clients. If your elevator pitch needs a tune up to leave the humdrum behind and take your business to the next level, join us to learn more!
Chala Dincoy is CEO and founder of The Repositioning Expert, a division of Coachtactics, and a marketing strategist who helps professional service companies change their messaging to attract more decision-makers. She’s a marketing consultant who has written Gentle Marketing: A Gentle Way to Attract Loads of Clients and How to Win Friends the Way Apple Wins Customers. Chala brings her experience and expertise forward to help us understand the secrets to create an elevator pitch that wows customers and engages clients.
● Chala’s journey to her work today in helping coaches be successful
● How Chala functioned as a corporate slave for 18 years as she dreamed of doing more
● How Chala had to pivot her business to go online due to COVID---and found even greater success
● Why your elevator pitch has to be something that stops people in their tracks and prompts them to ask for your card
● Why Chala decided to focus her work with coaches
● Why differentiation boils down to super niching
● The two steps to identifying your super-niche:
○ Pick a very specific interest group that you serve
○ Identify the most expensive problem you can solve for them
● Why Chala’s super niche is to help diverse businesses develop their elevator pitches
● Common objections to super-niching
● How Chala works with clients to get clarity in identifying their super-niche
● The formula for the perfect elevator pitch:
○ The Who: Who do you serve?
○ The Pain: What is their most expensive pain?
● How Chala fixes your elevator pitch so that you are asked for your card or a meeting after every interaction
● An example of how Chala’s system works to develop Meg’s elevator pitch
● The biggest problems that Chala sees in her work are people “guessing” at their super-niche and generalizing their niche (“Generalization=Death”)
Website: http://www.repositioner.com/ (Repositioner)
Visit http://www.repositioner.com/gift (Repositioner) to receive a free download of Chala’s book, The Gentle Marketing Book.
LinkedIn: Chala Dincoy
229: Exploring Vocal Empowerment: Brienne Hennessy
We are exploring a new topic in today’s show as we consider the gift that is our voice, the instrument we use for communication. Join us as we learn about a unique perspective on coaching through vocal empowerment.
Brienne Hennessey is a licensed Speech-Voice Pathologist who became a vocal empowerment coach with 13 years of clinical expertise specializing in voice and breathing assessment and therapy. Her focus is on the prevention of vocal injury through wellness and customized voice training. She is a speaker at local, state, and national conferences who has worked at the top academic voice centers in the US, and she has published research-based book chapters and articles. Brienne is the owner of Your Vocal Vitality, LLC and the creator of Empower Your Voice. This program supports CEOs, entrepreneurs, coaches, educators, sales teams, and public speakers to conquer vocal fatigue, elevate voice health, and tap into their inner voice to show up with more authentic impact and influence.
● Brienne’s journey to where she is today as a vocal empowerment coach
● Why your voice is a vital asset for communication in your life and business
● The frustration of not being able to communicate
● Why we shouldn’t take our voice for granted
● Warning signs that something might be wrong: scratchiness, hoarseness, fatigue, strain, and weakness
● What to consider about voice health and wellness
● How to minimize nervousness about public speaking
● What it’s like to work with a vocal empowerment coach:
○ You’ll understand how the voice works
○ You’ll understand vocal hygiene
○ You’ll understand voice use
○ You’ll craft a warm-up, cool down, and voice use plan
● What Brienne wants us to know about loving our voices and ourselves
● How bias and prejudice show up about our voices and those of others
● Why we need to own and love our natural voices
● Brienne’s tips for overall voice health
● An example of a voice warm-up exercise--Join us!
Ways to connect with Brienne:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yourvocalvitality (Your Vocal Vitality)
Empower Your Voice Facebook Group: If you are a person who requires your voice to do your job, I am warmly inviting you to join: http://facebook.com/groups/empoweryourvoice (Facebook: Empower Your Voice)
IG: https://instagram.com/yourvocalvitality (Your Vocal Vitality)
228: Skyrocket Your Sales with Angela Henderson
If you’re ready to skyrocket your sales, then join us for today’s show. We will learn how to engage our minds for success in moving forward in our businesses. My guest delivers bucket loads of wisdom and inspiration in the form of techniques that you can apply today! Join us!
Angela Henderson is an author, entrepreneur, small business consultant, speaker, blogger, mom, and former mental health clinician of more than 15 years. She founded a highly successful online educational toy store called Finlee and Me, and she currently works with business owners to grow thriving enterprises. Angela helps women build consistent five-figure months and multiple six-figure years--without burning out in the process.
● Angela’s journey from mental health clinician to online educational toy store owner, parenting blogger, and business consultant
● Why it’s OK to pivot and leave a place of abundance to go after something else that lights you up and brings you joy
● Why you have to be mindful of overcomplicating things; simplicity is in your favor
● Why it’s important to understand why your business is struggling to skyrocket your sales
● How to identify the “internal stuff” that’s holding you back---and how to fix it
● Remember that “selling is serving”
● Angela’s Three S Framework for skyrocketing your sales:
○ Showing up--How, why, and where? (Google Analytics can help)
○ Strategy--How to map out the year with a promotional rhythm
○ Selling--Are you doing it every single day?
● An example from one of Angela’s clients proves what showing up and selling every day can do for your business
Connect with Angela:
Website: http://www.angelahenderson.com.au/ (angela Henderson)
227: Creating a Content Calendar and Other Social Media Strategies: Megan Winkler
We are in the middle of Women’s History Month, bringing you great content covering different aspects of our coaching work. Today’s show highlights social media marketing, which most people find challenging. My guest shares key takeaways about how we create freedom through structure in social media.
Megan Winkler is a spiritual business coach and marketing specialist who works with female entrepreneurs to build sustainable, authentic, and energetically-aligned businesses. She’s known as The Good Business Witch and has a podcast by the same name. Megan incorporates strategy and spirituality to create one-of-a-kind business and marketing plans for her clients. We can learn so much from what Megan does with social media, and she’s here to share some of her secrets to success. We’ll explore the ideas and intent behind a content calendar and learn tips and strategies to best utilize Facebook, Instagram, and other social media platforms.
● Megan’s long and winding path to where she is today
● How Megan helps women entrepreneurs become more visible through authentic marketing
● Megan explains what a content calendar is, why you should have one, and how it can be a beneficial framework for your business
● How video and images promote your content on Facebook and Instagram
● How to structure your message to grab people’s attention and create connection
● Why you need to finish up your social media post with a call to action
● The goal of social media is to get people to engage with you
● Tips to make your Instagram bio stand out:
○ Let them see your face first.
○ Make sure your handle has a searchable term in it.
○ Make your bio all about your followers and what you do for them--not about you
● Why social media is all about having fun while you interact with your peers and ideal clients
● Why saving posts on Instagram helps business owners
● Megan’s advice about following people on Instagram
● How to leverage direct messaging
● What NOT to do on social media
● How to use Instagram stories to get conversations going
● How to practice and learn how to do Instagram stories
● Why you should always be yourself on Instagram
● Megan’s final tips
Website: https://www.goodbusinesswitch.com/ (The Good Business Witch)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/goodbusinesswitch (Good Business Witch)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/themeganwinkler/ (The Megan Winkler)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/themeganwinkler/?hl=en ( @themeganwinkler )
LinkedInhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/meganwinkler1 (: @meganwinkler1 )
https://twitter.com/MegWinkler (Twitter: MegWinkler)
Generous. Helpful. Inquisitive. A must listen for coaches
Meg’s Star Coach show is so helpful because she is such a generous host who lets her guests teach and share their expertise. Each episode has been super helpful because Meg always asks the questions I have circling in my head. Her inquisitive style is full of warmth. Meg finds such interesting guests who are passionate about their expertise. Thank you Meg for sharing your people with us and teaching us gently each week.
Best of the Best
I know from working with Meg regularly that she is all about quality, enthusiasm, and getting to the real deal with coaching, the skills and concepts of coaching, and the business of coaching. I gain something from every podcast episode, but this one really impacted me with the right stuff at the right time. Instagram has totally baffled me up to this point, but now I clearly understand how I can use it to share my message, grow my business, and expand my impact. Thanks so much for bringing Julie to your show, and of course, who would NOT want to talk to the effervescent Meg Rentschler and share their story and valuable insights ???
So interesting and informative! Meg is delightful and a wonderful interviewer!