The Synapse Performance Podcast brings you leading expert knowledge in areas of health, nutrition & performance.
It's a must listen for any athlete or coach looking for pragmatic evidence-based information.
Hosted by David Nolan
The Role of Sports Science: Effective data collection, interpretation & communication - Episode 133 - Shane Malone
In this episode, David is joined by sports scientist at Dublin GAA and researcher at Technological University Dublin, Shane Malone.
In this, the first of a two part episode, David & Shane discuss the role of the sports scientist in elite level sport.
Topics of conversation include:
- What is the role of the sport scientist?
- Deciding what metrics are important to collect
- Effective data collection methods
- Effective interpretation of data
- GPS data collection
- External and internal load monitoring
- Effective presentation and communication of data to coaches and players.
Listener Q&A: Interpreting Research & Dealing with Science Deniers - Episode 132
In this episode, David & Mark answer questions submitted by listeners.
These questions include:
- What are common mistakes people make when interpreting research
- How can you more effectively apply research with your clients and athletes?
- How to deal with science deniers?
- How to argue on social media?
Full show-notes available at: www.synapseperformance.ie/podcasts/episode132
Transgender Athletes: An Unfair Advantage? The Science and Evidence - Episode 131
In this episode, David is joined my Dr. Tommy Lundberg.
Dr. Lundberg is a lecturer and researcher in the Karolinska Institute in the area of clinical physiology measures, in particular muscle physiology.
In this episode, David & Dr. Lundberg discuss:
- The anthropometric and physiological differences between biological male and females.
- Sporting performance differences between biological males and females
- Testosterone suppression in transgender women and it's influence on physiological variables.
- Transgender athletes in sport.
Full show notes available at: www.synapseperformance.ie/podcasts/episode131
Everything You Need to Understand About Recovery - Episode 130 - David Nolan & Mark Germaine
In this episode David and Mark have an in-depth discussion on the topic of recovery and provide a wealth of practical advice.
The pair discuss:
- Training Load Management
- Psychological Stress
- Nutrition and Supplements
- Active, Passive and Novel Recovery Methods (Ice baths, heat, compression garments etc.)
- The Role of Beliefs, Placebo & the Biopsychosocial Model in Recovery
Full show notes available at:
Episode 129 - Paul Fisher, Adrian O'Brien & Mark Germaine: Navigating a Lockdown GAA Pre-Season and Do GAA Need to be Big and Strong?
In this episode, David is joined by Limerick senior football S&C coach Adrian O'Brien, performance nutritionist at Dublin GAA Mark Germaine, and S&C coach with Donegal senior football (2015-2020) Paul Fisher.
The group discuss:
- Designing and structuring a pre-season
- What to focus on during lockdown
- Reducing injury risk in GAA
- Do GAA players really need to be big and strong?
Full show notes available at:
Episode 128 - Tim Smithies - The Role of Sports Science in E-Sports
In this episode of the podcast, David is joined by PhD researcher Tim Smithies.
Tim is a researcher based at the University of Limerick in the E-sports research lab and is completing a PhD in conjunction with the Irish Research Council and Logitech.
In this episode, the pair discuss:
- What is E-Sports?
- What roles do S&C and sports science play in E-sports?
- What is the future of sports science research in E-Sports?
- What influence does E-Sports have on health and sleep?
Full show-notes available at: www.synapseperformance.ie/podcasts/episode128
Awesome show, highly recommend!
David and his guests provide some incredibly compelling content that’s geared to help you take actionable steps to perform at your absolute best.
Highly recommend listening and subscribing to the Synapse Performance Podcast if you want the knowledge AND mindsets to level up both physically and mentally (and inch closer towards peak performance as a result)!
This podcast is a fantastic source of information for anyone interested in the exercise or nutrition sciences. David Nolan of HPA does a fantastic job of asking thoughtful questions to show guests, along with bringing on guests that are international experts on select topics. Keep up the great work, David!
Super interesting content
This podcast is great. Lots of very useful content about nutrition and exercise that can be helpful not only for professionals but for everyone approaching the fitness world. David, keep it up the good work!