Michael Dempsey (@mhdempsey), partner at Compound, joins Erik on this episode to talk through a wide array of sectors that he has delved into.
(We apologize for the audio quality of this episode. We had technical difficulties during recording).
They talk about:
- The model and approach at Compound, including how writing definitive blog posts about a particular industry fits into their investing strategy.
- The state of robotics today, including why he’s not as bullish on robots in warehouses as he once was, and how robots can potentially transform food and retail.
- Machine learning, its applications, and why it’s so difficult to reproduce the findings seen in research papers in the space.
- Different approaches to making self-driving cars work, and his predictions for the future of the industry.
- The state of the investment landscape for other applications of ML, including radiology, voice and phone calls, image recognition, and animation.
- Digital celebrities, identity, and how self-expression on the internet will change in the future.
- His deep dive into women’s health, family planning and reproductive health, and what kinds of opportunities exist in the space.
Thanks for listening — if you like what you hear, please review us on your favorite podcast platform.
Check us out on the web at villageglobal.vc or get in touch with us on Twitter @villageglobal.