英语老师瑶瑶

【摩登家庭】“我们可以把那场胜利归因于运气好。”

【句子】I'm gonna chalk this up to jet lag for you because it's not like you at all.   【Modern Family S3E20】

【发音】/aɪm/ /ˈgə.nə/ /ˈgɑː.nə/ /tʃɔːk/ /tʃɑːk/ /ðɪs/ /ʌp/ /tʊ/ /dʒet/ /læɡ/ /fə(r)/ /juː/ /bɪˈkɒz/ /bɪˈkɑːz/ /ɪts/ /nɒt/ /nɑːt/ /laɪk/ /juː/ /æt/ /ɔːl/ /ɑːl/

【发音技巧】chalk this up不完全爆破+连读;jet lag不完全爆破;because it's连读;not like不完全爆破;like you类似连读的处理;at all连读+闪音;

【翻译】我就当你是时差还没倒过来,因为这一点儿都不像你。

【适用场合】

今天我们来一起学习一下两个短语:

1. chalk sth. up to sth.应该如何理解;

来看看对应的英文解释:

to recognize something as the cause of something else;

to consider that sth. is caused by sth.

所以它可以理解成:“把某件事情归因于……”或者“认为……是某件事情发生的原因”;

这个短语经常用于美式英语,比较口语化。

eg: We can chalk that win up to a lot of luck.

我们可以把那场胜利归因于运气好。

eg: We chalked her bad behavior up to her recent illness.

我们把她最近不好的行为归因于她最近生病了。

eg: I had to chalk up the loss to inexperience.

我不得不将这一次的失败归因于经验不足。

eg: The poor financial performance of the event is disappointing, but we're chalking it up to bad luck for now.

这次活动的业绩很不好,让人失望,但是我们暂且将其归因于运气不好。

eg: Let's just chalk the mistakes up to experience and try to do better on the next project.

让我们把这些错误当作经验教训,争取在下个项目上做得更好。

2. jet lag,他可以理解成“时差”或者“由于跨时区旅行而造成的时差反应”;

the feeling of tiredness and confusion which people experience after making a long journey in an aircraft to a place where the time is different from the place they left;

eg: Every time I fly to the States, I get really bad jet lag.

每次飞美国,我都会严重受到时差的困扰。

eg: I'm still suffering from jet lag after my trip to Australia.

从澳大利亚回来以后,我现在还在受时差困扰。

【尝试翻译以下句子,并留言在文章留言区】

They're a very young team, so we'll chalk this loss up to inexperience and nerves.