The Legal Ops Podcast is about all things legal operations, legal business and legal technology. It's hosted by Alex Rosenrauch and Elliot Leibu, legal ops professionals with experience and passion for this subject, and deep connections in the industry. Every episode covers a new aspect of transformation, operationalisation and technology implementation, overlaid with the human elements of change management and organisational psychology. If you're interested in the changing nature of legal services delivery, and you want to be a part of it, this is the podcast for you.
The Pulse: money pouring into legal tech, switching legal tech vendors, Google's move into e-signature and a recent big capital raise
Alex and Elliot chat about:
* Why are investors pouring money into legal technology?
* Is it getting easier to switch legal tech vendors?
* Google's move into e-signature and what it means for other markets
* AirSlate's recent $51.5m capital raise
* Why Alex isn't wearing his Apple Watch any more (most of the time)
Thanks to HBR Consulting for sponsoring this episode. Find out more about HBR here: https://www.hbrconsulting.com/
Money pouring into legal tech: https://www.ft.com/content/b6f0796e-0265-40c6-ad4c-a900cd788c39
Switching legal tech vendors: https://www.law.com/legaltechnews/2022/06/24/legal-professionals-face-cost-time-and-trust-barriers-when-switching-tech-vendors/
Google's move into e-signature: https://www.law.com/legaltechnews/2022/07/12/googles-move-into-e-signature-isnt-likely-about-the-clm-market/
Talking Tech: HBR Consulting with Kevin Clem and Lauren Chung
In this Talking Tech episode Alex and Elliot speak with Kevin Clem and Lauren Chung from HBR Consulting. HBR is one of the world's largest legal operations consulting firms, headquartered in Chicago with operations throughout the USA, Canada and the UK.
In addition to consulting on all aspects of legal operations, technology and strategy, HBR conducts an annual law department survey to analyse and understand developments in the legal industry. In the episode we draw on the survey, as well as Kevin and Lauren's extensive experience, to discuss recent trends in the industry and a number of insightful predictions for the future.
Kevin Clem on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinclem
Lauren Chung on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/laurenmchung
HBR Consulting: https://www.hbrconsulting.com/
Counsel Command: https://www.hbrconsulting.com/what-we-do/software-solutions/counselcommand/
Counsel Guide: https://www.hbrconsulting.com/what-we-do/software-solutions/counselguide/
Legal Design with Meera Klemola and Astrid Kohlmeier
Meera Klemola and Astrid Kohlmeier are legal design pioneers. They are both teachers, speakers and writers, specialising in the application of design principles to legal services delivery. Both have consulted on this topic to the world's largest law firms and in-house teams.
For this episode we sat down with Meera and Astrid to discuss their book, "The Legal Design Book", which was published in 2021. We covered many topics including:
* Why they wrote the book and why now is the right time to publish it
* What "legal design" is and how it differs from some other methodologies, such as Lean Six Sigma and Agile
* Why "legal design" is about more than visually pleasing documents
* The key philosophies and mindsets that underly legal design
* How to apply legal design in practice, including case studies
* The relationship between legal design and legal operations
The book: https://legaldesign-book.com/
Meera's website: https://www.groundm.com/
Meera on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/meera-klemola/
Astrid's website: https://astridkohlmeier.de/
Astrid on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/astridkohlmeier/
The Pulse: lawyers abandoning MS Word, legal tech capital raisings and the M2 MacBook Air
Alex and Elliot chat about:
* A recent survey suggesting lawyers are (possibly) moving away from MS Word
* Recent capital raisings by Evisort, SirionLabs and Dilitrust
* The M2 MacBook Air and what's to like (and not like) about it
Lawyers moving away from MS Word: https://www.artificiallawyer.com/2022/05/25/are-some-inhouse-lawyers-falling-out-of-love-with-word/
Talking Tech: Hyperion legal business advisory with Eyal Iffergan
Alex and Elliot interview Eyal Iffergan, Managing Director, Legal Business Advisory at Hyperion Global Partners.
Hyperion provides legal operations consultancy services to legal teams across the world. In this episode, Eyal, Alex and Elliot discuss technology roadmaps and data analytics, including:
* What a technology roadmap is, why it's important in both private practice and in-house and how it relates to the team's broader strategy.
* How legal operations is helping to drive the legal industry to become a "customer driven market".
* What legal teams typically do well (and less well) when creating a technology roadmap.
* What we mean by "legal metrics" and whether or not they must be quantifiable.
* What is most challenging: collecting, analysing or utilising metrics?
* What are the most critical metrics for a legal function to focus on.
Hyperion Global Partners: https://www.hyperiongp.com/
Hyperion Research: https://insights.hgpresearch.com/
CLOC Global Institute 2022
The Global Institute is the Corporate Legal Operations Consortium's flagship conference, which is held annually in Las Vegas, USA. The event was most recently held in May 2022 and attracted around 2,500 attendees from the legal operations ecosystem globally.
In this episode we transport you to the conference via the many recordings we made at the event. We interviewed speakers, fellow attendees, legal tech vendors and others. We also recorded our thoughts and reflections on many of the sessions, immediately after we came out of them.
If you couldn't attend the conference and you'd like to know what it's like, or you did attend and you want to relive it, this is the episode for you.
Our thanks to HBR Consulting for sponsoring this episode and for making it possible. Find out more about HBR here: https://www.hbrconsulting.com/
Worth a listen!
This is a much needed podcast for the Legal Ops community and one worth checking out. The hosts are engaging covering relevant topics for anyone interested in legal innovation. Well done!
Keep them coming!
Very relevant for both Legal Operations leaders and in house legal teams as well as those of us in the legal tech space interested in supporting them!