Founded and created by Dr. Ankur Verma, The DESI EM PROJECT is an endeavour to bring before you discussions on everything emergency medicine, daily EM work, cases, myths, dogmas, concepts, evidence based approaches, conferences, and much more. We would also be focusing on the Indian emergency medicine scenario. EM guests from India and across the globe would be invited to chat with regarding EM in India. This is the 1st Emergency Medicine podcast coming from India. You can DM me on twitter with suggestions and feedbacks - @anksv25
DESI EM PROJECT - EPISODE 11 - THE ONE WITH "MYTHS IN EMERGENCY MEDICINE PART 2"
In this episode of myths in emergency medicine, I talk about Oxygen in STEMI patients, Epinephrine in digital anaesthesia, C- line for CVP monitoring and MILS in trauma patients. You can go through some of the following papers and decide what you want to do with your EM practice -
1. Stub D, Smith K, Bernard S, Nehme Z, Stephenson M, Bray JE, Cameron P, Barger B, Ellims AH, Taylor AJ, Meredith IT, Kaye DM; AVOID Investigators. Air Versus Oxygen in ST-Segment-Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Circulation. 2015 Jun 16;131(24):2143-50. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.114.014494. Epub 2015 May 22. PMID: 26002889.
2. Hofmann R, Befekadu Abebe T, Herlitz J, James SK, Erlinge D, Yndigegn T, Alfredsson J, Kellerth T, Ravn-Fischer A, Völz S, Lauermann J, Jernberg T, Lindahl B, Langenskiöld S. Routine Oxygen Therapy Does Not Improve Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction-Insights From the Randomized DETO2X-AMI Trial. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2021 Mar 15;8:638829. doi: 10.3389/fcvm.2021.638829. PMID: 33791349; PMCID: PMC8006541.
3. Krunic AL, Wang LC, Soltani K, Weitzul S, Taylor RS. Digital anesthesia with epinephrine: an old myth revisited. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004 Nov;51(5):755-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2004.05.028. PMID: 15523354.
4. Mohan, P P. “Towards evidence based emergency medicine: best BETs from the Manchester Royal Infirmary. Epinephrine in digital nerve block.” Emergency medicine journal : EMJ vol. 24,11 (2007): 789-90. doi:10.1136/emj.2007.053793
5. Marik PE, Baram M, Vahid B. Does central venous pressure predict fluid responsiveness? A systematic review of the literature and the tale of seven mares. Chest. 2008 Jul;134(1):172-8. doi: 10.1378/chest.07-2331. PMID: 18628220.
6. Ellis DY, Harris T, Zideman D. Cricoid pressure in emergency department rapid sequence tracheal intubations: a risk-benefit analysis. Ann Emerg Med. 2007 Dec;50(6):653-65. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2007.05.006. Epub 2007 Aug 3. PMID: 17681642.
7. Santoni BG, Hindman BJ, Puttlitz CM, Weeks JB, Johnson N, Maktabi MA, Todd MM. Manual in-line stabilization increases pressures applied by the laryngoscope blade during direct laryngoscopy and orotracheal intubation. Anesthesiology. 2009 Jan;110(1):24-31. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e318190b556. PMID: 19104166.
8. Manoach S, Paladino L. Manual in-line stabilization for acute airway management of suspected cervical spine injury: historical review and current questions. Ann Emerg Med. 2007 Sep;50(3):236-45. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2007.01.009. Epub 2007 Mar 6. PMID: 17337093.
9. Wiles MD. Manual in-line stabilisation during tracheal intubation: effective protection or harmful dogma? Anaesthesia. 2021 Jun;76(6):850-853. doi: 10.1111/anae.15472. PMID: 33939842.
DESI EM PROJECT - EPISODE 10 - THE ONE WITH "MYTHS IN EMERGENCY MEDICINE PART 1"
In today's episode, I've discussed some myths that are still prevalent in emergency medicine practices across the world. They are still taught even if some clinicians do not practice it. do you own research. Don't take my word for it. Change your practice accordingly. You can go through some of the following references -
1. SELLICK BA. Cricoid pressure to control regurgitation of stomach contents during induction of anaesthesia. Lancet (London, England). 1961; 2(7199):404-6. PMID:13749923
2. Birenbaum A, Hajage D, Roche S, et al. Effect of Cricoid Pressure Compared With a Sham Procedure in the Rapid Sequence Induction of Anesthesia: The IRIS Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA surgery. 2018; PMID:30347104
3. Allman KG. The effect of cricoid pressure application on airway patency. Journal of clinical anesthesia. 1995; 7(3):197-9. PMID:7669308
4. Ellis DY, Harris T, Zideman D. Cricoid pressure in emergency department rapid sequence tracheal intubations: a risk-benefit analysis. Annals of emergency medicine. 2007; 50(6):653-65. PMID:17681642
5. Neilipovitz DT, Crosby ET. No evidence for decreased incidence of aspiration after rapid sequence induction. Canadian journal of anaesthesia = Journal canadien d’anesthesie. 2007; 54(9):748-64. PMID:17766743
6. Palmer JH, Ball DR. The effect of cricoid pressure on the cricoid cartilage and vocal cords: an endoscopic study in anaesthetised patients. Anaesthesia. 2000; 55(3):263-8. PMID:10671846
7. Byrne AL, Bennett M, Chatterji R, Symons R, Pace NL, Thomas PS. Peripheral venous and arterial blood gas analysis in adults: are they comparable? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Respirology. 2014 Jan 3. PMID: 24383789.
8. Kelly AM, McAlpine R, Kyle E. Venous pH can safely replace arterial pH in the initial evaluation of patients in the emergency department. Emerg Med J. 2001 Sep;18(5):340-2. PMID 11559602
9. Middleton P, Kelly AM, Brown J, Robertson M. Agreement between arterial and central venous values for pH, bicarbonate, base excess, and lactate. Emerg Med J. 2006 Aug;23(8):622-4. PMID16858095
10. Klein LR, Cole JB. Ketamine: Focusing on the Facts and Forgetting the Fiction. Ann Emerg Med. 2021 Jul;78(1):132-139. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2021.03.039. PMID: 34167728.
11. Godoy DA, Badenes R, Pelosi P, Robba C. Ketamine in acute phase of severe traumatic brain injury "an old drug for new uses?". Crit Care. 2021 Jan 6;25(1):19. doi: 10.1186/s13054-020-03452-x. PMID: 33407737; PMCID: PMC7788834.
12. Schofer JM. Premedication during rapid sequence intubation: a necessity or waste of valuable time? Cal J Emerg Med. 2006 Dec;7(4):75-9. PMID: 20505811; PMCID: PMC2872531.
13. Robinson N, Clancy M. In patients with head injury undergoing rapid sequence intubation, does pretreatment with intravenous lignocaine/lidocaine lead to an improved neurological outcome? A review of the literature. Emerg Med J 200;8:453-7.
DESI EM PROJECT - EPISODE 9 - THE ONE WITH "LOW SODIUM LEVELS - HYPONATREMIA 2.0"
In today's episode, I invite Drs Sanjay and Shivani back to the show to discuss the 6 steps to manage hyponatremia in your ED in a little bit more detail. This will be a learning curve for the young (and the old) emergency physicians. Later on, I would have them back to discuss real life cases that have been managed in our department using the 6 cases. Enjoy! For any questions you can DM us on our twitter handles - @anksv25 (Ankur), @drshivanisarda (Shivani) and @drbobby71sanjay (Sanjay)
DESI EM PROJECT - EPISODE 8 - THE ONE WITH "OWN THE TRAUMA PATIENT"
In this episode, I have discussed a little bit about some advances in trauma resuscitation, some goals and how ATLS should be the basic trauma skill an emergency physician should have. I did not mean to break any hearts, but yes trauma resus goes beyond ATLS. Do not believe what I say blindly, do your research. You can go through the following mind blowing papers and up your trauma game and prepare your own trauma protocols for your emergency departments.
The papers you can go through (not in any order of preference). And these are not exhaustive -
1. Harris T, Davenport R, Mak M, Brohi K. The Evolving Science of Trauma Resuscitation. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2018 Feb;36(1):85-106. doi: 10.1016/j.emc.2017.08.009. PMID: 29132583.
2. Leibner E, Andreae M, Galvagno SM, Scalea T. Damage control resuscitation. Clin Exp Emerg Med. 2020;7(1):5-13. doi:10.15441/ceem.19.089
3. Carrick MM, Leonard J, Slone DS, Mains CW, Bar-Or D. Hypotensive Resuscitation among Trauma Patients. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:8901938. doi: 10.1155/2016/8901938. Epub 2016 Aug 9. PMID: 27595109; PMCID: PMC4993927.
5. Petrosoniak A, Hicks C. Resuscitation Resequenced: A Rational Approach to Patients with Trauma in Shock. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2018 Feb;36(1):41-60. doi: 10.1016/j.emc.2017.08.005. PMID: 29132581.
6. Mutschler, M., Nienaber, U., Münzberg, M., Wölfl, C., Schoechl, H., Paffrath, T., Bouillon, B., Maegele, M., & TraumaRegister DGU (2013). The Shock Index revisited - a fast guide to transfusion requirement? A retrospective analysis on 21,853 patients derived from the TraumaRegister DGU. Critical care (London, England), 17(4), R172. https://doi.org/10.1186/cc12851
7. Brohi K, Singh J, Heron M, Coats T. Acute traumatic coagulopathy. J Trauma. 2003 Jun;54(6):1127-30. doi: 10.1097/01.TA.0000069184.82147.06. PMID: 12813333.
8. Holcomb JB, Tilley BC, Baraniuk S, Fox EE, Wade CE, Podbielski JM, del Junco DJ, Brasel KJ, Bulger EM, Callcut RA, Cohen MJ, Cotton BA, Fabian TC, Inaba K, Kerby JD, Muskat P, O'Keeffe T, Rizoli S, Robinson BR, Scalea TM, Schreiber MA, Stein DM, Weinberg JA, Callum JL, Hess JR, Matijevic N, Miller CN, Pittet JF, Hoyt DB, Pearson GD, Leroux B, van Belle G; PROPPR Study Group. Transfusion of plasma, platelets, and red blood cells in a 1:1:1 vs a 1:1:2 ratio and mortality in patients with severe trauma: the PROPPR randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2015 Feb 3;313(5):471-82. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.12. PMID: 25647203; PMCID: PMC4374744.
9. Spahn DR, Bouillon B, Cerny V, Duranteau J, Filipescu D, Hunt BJ, Komadina R, Maegele M, Nardi G, Riddez L, Samama CM, Vincent JL, Rossaint R. The European guideline on management of major bleeding and coagulopathy following trauma: fifth edition. Crit Care. 2019 Mar 27;23(1):98. doi: 10.1186/s13054-019-2347-3. PMID: 30917843; PMCID: PMC6436241.
10. Spinella PC, Holcomb JB. Resuscitation and transfusion principles for traumatic hemorrhagic shock. Blood Rev. 2009 Nov;23(6):231-40. doi: 10.1016/j.blre.2009.07.003. Epub 2009 Aug 19. PMID: 19695750; PMCID: PMC3159517.
11. Wiles MD. ATLS: Archaic Trauma Life Support? Anaesthesia. 2015 Aug;70(8):893-7. doi: 10.1111/anae.13166. PMID: 26152249.
12. Mutschler M, Nienaber U, Brockamp T, Wafaisade A, Wyen H, Peiniger S, Paffrath T, Bouillon B, Maegele M; TraumaRegister DGU. A critical reappraisal of the ATLS classification of hypovolaemic shock: does it really reflect clinical reality? Resuscitation. 2013 Mar;84(3):309-13. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2012.07.012. Epub 2012 Jul 24. PMID: 22835498.
DESI EM PROJECT - EPISODE 7 - THE ONE WITH "THE YOUNG ADULT EPIDEMIC"
In today's episode I am joined by Dr Abbas and we discuss the young adult epidemic - emergency conditions that young adults suffer from and lose their lives to. We discuss as to why this may be happening and what can be done. Again - these are our opinions and experiences. We apologise if we hurt some sentiments in this one!
DESI EM PROJECT - EPISODE 6 - THE ONE WITH "AIRWAY CHECKLISTS"
In this episode, I talk about incorporating checklists in our daily emergency medicine practice. Why is it important? How does it help and how do you use them? I would be discussing these in this episode with some anecdotes sprayed in. You can go through the following resources if you need help in using an airway checklist in your department or can hit me up on twitter (@anksv25) or Instagram @anksv. Hope you enjoy listening.
Here are the resources -
1. Pronovost P, Needham D, Berenholtz S, Sinopoli D, Chu H, Cosgrove S, Sexton B, Hyzy R, Welsh R, Roth G, Bander J, Kepros J, Goeschel C. An intervention to decrease catheter-related bloodstream infections in the ICU. N Engl J Med. 2006 Dec 28;355(26):2725-32. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa061115. Erratum in: N Engl J Med. 2007 Jun 21;356(25):2660. PMID: 17192537.
2. Smith KA, High K, Collins SP, Self WH. A preprocedural checklist improves the safety of emergency department intubation of trauma patients. Acad Emerg Med. 2015 Aug;22(8):989-92. doi: 10.1111/acem.12717. Epub 2015 Jul 20. PMID: 26194607.
3. Kerrey BT, Mittiga MR, Rinderknecht AS, Varadarajan KR, Dyas JR, Geis GL, Luria JW, Frey ME, Jablonski TE, Iyer SB. Reducing the incidence of oxyhaemoglobin desaturation during rapid sequence intubation in a paediatric emergency department. BMJ Qual Saf. 2015 Nov;24(11):709-17. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2014-003713. Epub 2015 Jul 16. PMID: 26183713.
4. Jaber S, Jung B, Corne P, Sebbane M, Muller L, Chanques G, Verzilli D, Jonquet O, Eledjam JJ, Lefrant JY. An intervention to decrease complications related to endotracheal intubation in the intensive care unit: a prospective, multiple-center study. Intensive Care Med. 2010 Feb;36(2):248-55. doi: 10.1007/s00134-009-1717-8. Epub 2009 Nov 17. PMID: 19921148.
Great podcast for everyone! Eye opener!
Dr Ankur Verma beautifully unravels the mystery of emergency medicine for his listeners. Very engaging conversations and great learning for everyone. Knowing what to do in an emergency should be a human right and this podcast brings us closer to exercising that right! Highly recommended!