Attention experienced corporate presenters, public speakers, professional speakers and pastors.
Do you want to deliver a good, a great or an unforgettable presentation?
Get insights from behind the scenes on some of the most unforgettable presentations ever delivered.
√ What's the story behind the presentation?
√ Where did the idea come from?
√ How did they prepare it?
√ How did they execute it?
Join World Champions of Public Speaking, Mark Brown & Darren LaCroix. They have been world-class speaking coaches for over a decade and have trained presenters in over 14 countries. You'll love their chemistry and wisdom.
What will you hear?
Some episodes will be rock-solid content, some episodes will be interviews with presenters who delivered an unforgettable presentation.
THE POWER OF COMMUNITY
In addition to being part of speaking communities, we, as presenters belong to professional, social, charitable, faith-based, and other communities. Today Mark and Darren discuss the power of community, examining the ways that communities make us grow…and change. They offer advice on collaborating with your community, growing your community, and even leaving your community. Using Stage Time University, Toastmasters International, and the National Speakers Association as examples, they show benefits and blessings of being in community with like-minded people and reveal how community has helped them to prepare unforgettable presentations.
• Community helps change perspective
• Choose your community
• Use your community
• Serve your community
• Build your community
• Don’t be abused by your community, if you must leave, do so with grace
• Protect your community
• Don’t think NETWORKING; think NETSERVING
• Is your community helping or harming you
• Take inventory of your communities
UNFORGETTABLE RESEARCH With Vince Antonucci and Chris McGuire
Thorough research is an invaluable part of preparing unforgettable presentations. There are myriad ways to access information, and so much information from which to glean. Where do I look? How much should I use? How can I verify? Darren and Mark discuss these questions with…and get answer from…researcher/author/speaker Vince Antonucci and comedy writer/TV producer Chris McGuire. Their perspective on effective research will help you to prepare your unforgettable presentation.
• Dig deeper into your subject
• Look for compelling and unique information
• Put in the extra work
• Use AI tools
• Use ‘old-fashioned’ tools; search and read.
• The more you learn, the better your chances of finding critical content
• Ask: “What generates an emotional response?”
• Test research results on small audiences to gauge emotional reactions
• Research for customization; learn from The Barenaked Ladies
• Use the ‘Registration Desk Principle;’ find what bugs everyone
VIRTUAL PRESENTATION ENGAGEMENT?
Virtual presentations are now commonplace and it’s easy to assume, “I’ve done quite a few of these and I’m good!” Today Darren and Mark share reminders of how FLOW, FOCUS and PACE ELEMENTS can make a significant difference in your virtual presentation…especially since distractions can be continuous and abundant.
• Check your studio setup…especially what’s behind you
• Re-evaluate every aspect of your virtual presentation
• To maintain FLOW, it’s wise to have a producer, co-host, or co-presenter
• Be aware of the difference between a co-host, and a co-presenter
• Establish key toles up front
• Create smooth handoffs
• To maintain audience FOCUS, make slides simple and clear, 1 slide, 1 point
• Use PACE ELEMENTS to keep your audience engaged
• Use client’s language to solidify your connection
Ep. 231 Congruent Characters?
The story is arguably a presenter’s most potent tool. While it’s important to tell stories well, it is equally…if not significantly more important to transport your audience into the story. As Mark and Darren explain today, the key is to have CONGRUENT CHARACTERS, whose emotions are congruent with the emotion that they feel in the story. They share why many presenters fall short in this area and offer solid suggestions for using body language for greater emotional impact.
• Let your audience feel the emotion of the characters
• Don’t elicit confusion
• In your script add ‘before’ and ‘after’ emotions in parentheses
• Your eyes should change when the emotion changes
• Emotional shifts are unclear without a character’s baseline emotion
• Leave your emotional baseline when you embody a character
• Record video, playback muted, ask a friend to identify the emotion
• Be congruent to connect
Ep. 230 Your Holograms?
Holograms? Hula hoops? What do they have to do with delivering an unforgettable presentation? Mark and Darren explain how and why holograms help you to vividly create scenes in the minds of your audiences. This simple but potent technique will allow you to transform your speech into an experience.
• Holograms appear in the audience’s mind whether you’re aware or not
• Holograms establish characters and scenes
• You can point to a hologram and the audience will recall the scene/story
• Holograms have experiential value
• Holograms have emotional impact
• Use the depth and width of the platform to make holograms more vivid
• Use hula hoops – INSIDE is dialogue; OUTSIDE, speak to your audience
• BLOCK spots on stage. Use them to show MOMENTS of TRANSFORMATION
• Time progresses audience left to right
• Decide what scene/character/story each hologram represents
Ep. 229 Unforgettable Business Growth With Mark LeBlanc
Avoiding mistakes and adopting the right practices are keys to successfully growing your business. Today Darren and Mark talk with business growth expert and Hall of Fame speaker Mark LeBlanc as he shares four decades worth of wisdom on finding your niche, developing your content, connecting with your audience, and much more.
• If you quit 1,000 times, start again 1,001 times
• You must earn the right to speak
• Avoid thinking that you’re better than you are
• Raise your hand and get help
• Engage minds, touch hearts, stir souls, and make them laugh
• Focus on a singular idea and build your speech around it
• Frame your content
• Build an ‘accordion’ presentation
• Create a great defining statement
• Find your sliver of the market
Stage time stage time stage time
I have gleaned an insane amount of value from this podcast. Many times I feel like I am being coached by Darren and Mark. One of my favorite aspects of the podcast is that both hosts talk candidly and openly about their failures and the pain of the trenches. You will learn about leveling up your communication, ability to tell better stories as well as understanding the business side of speaking. Don’t wait, listen now!
Loved the pastor podcast episode!
I loved the particular podcast so much. I laughed so much! The unique biblical analogies were priceless!
Excellent Speaking Information
Mark and Darren provide valuable information to professional speakers and Toastmasters. Being a DTM and a professional speaker, hearing shared experience is invaluable. We can all keep learning, that is how we grow. Keep sharing.