33 min

Getting Fit, Safely and Effectively After 40 V.I.B.E. Living Podcast

    • Self-Improvement

There are those people who think that "going hard" is the only way to get in shape effectively.  That might be true for some people, but for women over 40, this is not necessarily the case.  Surprisingly, studies have shown that getting in shape after 40 is less about "going hard" but more about low-impact movement and strength training with consistency.   My guest Shannon Patterson talks specifically about this and gives some great guidance about what we should be thinking about when we make a decision to start working out after 40 ... especially if it has been a long time since you have worked out. 



Shannon is the founder of two businesses focused on Empowering Women.   Live Your Truth Women coaching, elevating women’s self-confidence by developing self-awareness & self-acceptance.  She is also the founder of ACHIEVE Multisport Coaching & Personal Training, helping clients achieve health & fitness goals.  Shannon says the only way to truly feel your best is to strengthen both your mind and your body.  That when you do, you are limitless!  Other fun facts… Shannon is a 3X Ironman World Championship triathlete, 43X Marathoner, just remarried at age 48, has 2 fur babies (yorkies), and proudly identifies as a Confidence Crusader, Sisterhood Creator, Life Learner, and Love Radiator.



Some of the topics Shannon covers in this podcast 


The  #1 thing all women should do for their fitness after 40 should be doing genetics




Letting go of the fear of strength training when it comes to looking too "buffed"




The importance of using fitness to build a stronger mindset and confidence, especially after 50 




You don't necessarily have to fall victim to being genetically predisposed to be obese, studies show that 20% of our health is genetics the other 80% is based on lifestyle choices we make.




It's important to find a movement that you enjoy doing so that it does become a part of your regular regimen. 




Chose a workout plan that strengthens your core, which will help with better posture and stronger joints. 




Go for the 10% rule and increase your activities ( walking, strength training, swimming, etc) by about 10% a week.




Build your endurance slowly, you don't have to work out an hour a day every day to get results.  In fact for women over 40 "going hard" can actually cause unnecessary injury. 



Shannon's Website and Social Media 

Live Your Truth Women Website = https://www.liveyourtruthwomen.com

IG & FB = @liveyourtruthwomen

ACHIEVE Multisport Coaching Website = https://www.achievemultisport.com

IG = achievemultisport

 FB = achievemultisportcoaching



Please check out the sponsors of our show

Teecee Business Solutions

High-achieving Midlife Women CEOs hire us when they want to organize their businesses, reclaim their time and skyrocket their profits 🎡Services we provide include; 📌Systems Implementation & Automation (CRM system, Project Management, Online Course System) 📌 Sales funnel design & automation 📌 Email Marketing Automation 📌 Social Media Marketing & Automation 📌 Project Management 📌 Team Coordination & Delegation

https://services.teeceebusinesssolutions.com






---

Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/vibelivingpodcast/message

There are those people who think that "going hard" is the only way to get in shape effectively.  That might be true for some people, but for women over 40, this is not necessarily the case.  Surprisingly, studies have shown that getting in shape after 40 is less about "going hard" but more about low-impact movement and strength training with consistency.   My guest Shannon Patterson talks specifically about this and gives some great guidance about what we should be thinking about when we make a decision to start working out after 40 ... especially if it has been a long time since you have worked out. 



Shannon is the founder of two businesses focused on Empowering Women.   Live Your Truth Women coaching, elevating women’s self-confidence by developing self-awareness & self-acceptance.  She is also the founder of ACHIEVE Multisport Coaching & Personal Training, helping clients achieve health & fitness goals.  Shannon says the only way to truly feel your best is to strengthen both your mind and your body.  That when you do, you are limitless!  Other fun facts… Shannon is a 3X Ironman World Championship triathlete, 43X Marathoner, just remarried at age 48, has 2 fur babies (yorkies), and proudly identifies as a Confidence Crusader, Sisterhood Creator, Life Learner, and Love Radiator.



Some of the topics Shannon covers in this podcast 


The  #1 thing all women should do for their fitness after 40 should be doing genetics




Letting go of the fear of strength training when it comes to looking too "buffed"




The importance of using fitness to build a stronger mindset and confidence, especially after 50 




You don't necessarily have to fall victim to being genetically predisposed to be obese, studies show that 20% of our health is genetics the other 80% is based on lifestyle choices we make.




It's important to find a movement that you enjoy doing so that it does become a part of your regular regimen. 




Chose a workout plan that strengthens your core, which will help with better posture and stronger joints. 




Go for the 10% rule and increase your activities ( walking, strength training, swimming, etc) by about 10% a week.




Build your endurance slowly, you don't have to work out an hour a day every day to get results.  In fact for women over 40 "going hard" can actually cause unnecessary injury. 



Shannon's Website and Social Media 

Live Your Truth Women Website = https://www.liveyourtruthwomen.com

IG & FB = @liveyourtruthwomen

ACHIEVE Multisport Coaching Website = https://www.achievemultisport.com

IG = achievemultisport

 FB = achievemultisportcoaching



Please check out the sponsors of our show

Teecee Business Solutions

High-achieving Midlife Women CEOs hire us when they want to organize their businesses, reclaim their time and skyrocket their profits 🎡Services we provide include; 📌Systems Implementation & Automation (CRM system, Project Management, Online Course System) 📌 Sales funnel design & automation 📌 Email Marketing Automation 📌 Social Media Marketing & Automation 📌 Project Management 📌 Team Coordination & Delegation

https://services.teeceebusinesssolutions.com






---

Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/vibelivingpodcast/message

33 min