Hosts/nerds Bob Boilen and Robin Hilton are your friendly music buddies with the week's best new music discoveries, including conversations with emerging artists, icons and more. Hear songs that can completely change your day, with humor, heart and (sometimes) a whole lot of noise. Directions for use: Morning commute, the gym, or alone time. (If rash persists, discontinue use.)
Dawn Richard Documents Her Mother's Dreams
WNXP's Jewly Hight shares a conversation with electronic dance artist Dawn Richard and her mom Debbie.
The Best Music Of April: NPR Staff Picks
Pom Pom Squad, Flock of Dimes, Zao, Rita Payés and Toumani Diabaté released the best music of April. Plus, we're reminded why we love ILOVEMAKONNEN.
New Music Friday: April 30
NPR Music's picks for the best albums out this week include girl in red's long-awaited debut, the Flying Lotus soundtrack for Yasuke and more.
1. girl in red — If I Could Make It Go Quiet
Featured Song: "Serotonin"
2. Dawn Richard — Second Line
Featured Song: "Bussifame"
3. Ashley Monroe — Rosegold
Featured Song: "Siren"
4. Shelley FKA Dram — S/T
Featured Song: "Rich And Famous"
5. Amy Shark — Cry Forever
Featured Songs: "The Wolves" and "Amy Shark"
6. Matt Sweeney & Bonnie "Prince" Billy — Superwolves
Featured Song: "Make Worry For Me"
7. Flying Lotus — Yasuke
Featured Song: "African Samurai"
Other notable releases for April 30: Amy Speace & The Orphan Brigade — There Used To Be Horses; Gojira — Fortitude; Julia Stone — Sixty Summers; Manchester Orchestra — The Million Masks of God; Marianne Faithful & Warren Ellis — She Walks In Beauty; Rosie Tucker — Sucker Supreme; Teenage Fanclub — Endless Arcade; Tōth — You And Me And Everything.
New Mix: Manchester Orchestra, Ballaké Sissoko, Faye Webster, More
All Songs Considered host Bob Boilen shares his favorite new tracks of the week, including the calming sounds of Ballaké Sissoko, the plainspoken wisdom of singer Faye Webster and more.
1. No-No Boy: "The Best God Damn Band in Wyoming," from 1975
2. Faye Webster: "Cheers," from I Know I'm Funny haha
3. Tōth: "Guitars Are Better Than Synthesizers for Writing Through Hard Times," from You And Me And Everything
4. Ballaké Sissoko: "Kadidja," from Djourou
5. Lau Noah: "Las Siete Lágrimas," 3
6. Manchester Orchestra: "Telepath," from The Million Masks of God
New Music Friday: The Top 6 Albums Out On April 23
NPR Music's shortlist for the best albums out on April 23 includes Nashville singer and rapper Houston Kendrick's technicolor pop, Malian Kora player Toumani Diabaté, Dinosaur Jr. and more.
1. Houston Kendrick — Small Infinity
Featured Song: "Ugly Vybes"
2. Hannah Jadagu — What Is Going On?
Featured Song: "Sundown"
3. Dinosaur Jr. — Sweep It Into Space
Featured Song: "And Me"
4. Arooj Aftab — Vulture Prince
Featured Songs: "Suroor" and "Baghon Main"
5. Toumani Diabaté and The London Symphony Orchestra — Korolen
Featured Songs: "Elyne Road" and "Cantelowes"
6. Hasaan Ibn Ali — Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album
Featured Song: "El Hasaan"
Other notable releases for April 23: Alfa Mist — Bring Backs; Ethel Cain — Inbred; Jupiter Okwess — Na Kozonga