Surma and Jake talk about whatever's going on in the world of web development.
When the hype train turns out to be a bus replacement service
In this episode, Surma and Jake chat about:
Jake's 100kAMA, pose questions here → https://goo.gle/3swYDKz
Jake's 'bake-dancing' → https://goo.gle/3ajBFjx
Surma's JPEG-XL art tool → https://goo.gle/3n1kCYT
tool.report → https://tooling.report/
JPEG-XL compare → https://goo.gle/3x5hhN5
React on initial HTML → https://goo.gle/3n3OwLZ
F1 site perf → https://goo.gle/3v8e6CB
AVIF blur preview → https://goo.gle/3dsjk63
Progressive rendering → https://goo.gle/3ecNjOC
Google I/O → htt
Blog build tools, JS blocks, and opener-policy
Jake and Surma chat about:
Using our blogs to experiment with build systems.
Jake's → http://goo.gle/3pi4sL5
Surma's → http://goo.gle/39dg8sK
11ty → https://www.11ty.dev/
The old _blank behaviour → http://goo.gle/3ojucoS
Cross-origin-opener-policy → http://goo.gle/2Mi7kZI
Back/forward cache → https://web.dev/bfcache/
Old blocks proposal → http://goo.gle/2M4SeqL
New blocks proposal → http://goo.gle/2Yd7iVK
See https://goo.gle/HTTP203Podcast for more detailed show notes, includi
How does back/forward actually work, and does 'talent' even exist?
- The element → https://goo.gle/3ihojWy
- How history behaves in browsers → https://goo.gle/33vrVQQ
- Moving an iframe → https://goo.gle/30Ae9L0
- COOP & COEP to get SharedArrayBuffer back → https://goo.gle/3kcAiqt
- To what degree does "talent" exist? Is talent simply practice? → https://goo.gle/2EXm9gG
- Informer by Snow → https://goo.gle/3kj1K60
- The short version of HTTP203 → https://goo.gle/31ulRoW
See https://goo.gle/HTTP203Podcast for more detailed show notes and more
The big build-tool bonanza
- https://web.dev/live happened!
- Jake's image compression talk → https://goo.gle/2NZ4erd
- Jake & Jason write build plugins → https://goo.gle/2CajSNF
- https://tooling.report goes live!
- webpack's weird behaviour with entry points → https://goo.gle/3iEQfVl
- Rollup's issues with hashing → https://goo.gle/3gC4rwS
- Import maps → https://goo.gle/38CFfn8
- Hash cascading → https://goo.gle/2VWXWwG
See https://goo.gle/HTTP203Podcast for more detailed show notes, including more links.
How to avoid getting UTF'd by text encodings
- Remy's question about text encoding → https://goo.gle/3bftse1
- TextEncoder → https://goo.gle/2zlvBaE
- Josh's joke encoding PR → https://goo.gle/2YK2316
- Binary strings in JS → https://goo.gle/3ch7R68
- readAsBinaryString → https://goo.gle/2Wdnoyz
- defer and IE bugs → https://goo.gle/2WfOntj
- DOM ready in jQuery → https://goo.gle/3cdvnRN
- doScroll trick → https://goo.gle/2WFuCtW
- "The end" → https://goo.gle/3fw8CKz
See https://goo.gle/HTTP203Podcast for more
Maths, hooks, and errors
Jake has a stupid cat.
By the way, skip to 22 mins if you don't care about all that.
Writing a Countdown solver → https://goo.gle/2SkHtk2
Jake's unappreciated audio blog post → https://goo.gle/2VNmOqZ
HTM (JSX alternative) → https://goo.gle/3cYr9x7
Preact hooks → https://goo.gle/3aMP15p
ComLink → https://goo.gle/2VLcr6V
Guide to promises → https://goo.gle/2VOuCc8
Gotchas with typeOf.
See https://goo.gle/HTTP203Podcast for more detailed show notes, including links.