The Weekly Scramble

PodMN | Hubbard Radio

The Weekly Scramble features Mike Frattallone and Chris Reuvers’ light hearted look at daily life in the State of Minnesota. Twice a week they bring their unique, common-sense conservatives approach to the current headlines. Logical and witty, funny, smart and maybe a little too opinionated, Mike and Chris are here to help make sense of the nonsense facing Minnesotans.  

  1. 5d ago

    Enes Kanter Freedom declares himself 2027 WNBA prospect, cites eligibility rules

    Former NBA center Enes Kanter Freedom said Friday he is declaring for the 2027 WNBA Draft, saying he has examined the league’s eligibility rules and believes they make him eligible — a claim that is not supported by the WNBA’s published rules. In a video posted to X, Mr. Freedom, wearing an orange WNBA-branded sweatshirt, said his team had “carefully examined the WNBA’s eligibility criteria and governing framework surrounding self-identification and inclusion.” “Based on the current guidelines, I can and am officially declaring my eligibility for the upcoming WNBA draft in April 2027,” he said. The WNBA’s collective bargaining agreement does not contain a self-identification standard. Article XIII, Section 1(a) of the 409-page agreement states only that “only players who are women are eligible to play in the WNBA,” and does not define “woman” or address gender identity anywhere in the document, according to an OutKick report. Neither the WNBA nor the players’ union has publicly clarified how eligibility would be determined for a transgender or self-identified player, the outlet reported. Freedom, an 11-year NBA veteran and the third overall pick of the 2011 draft, said he was not trying to mock anyone. “I am definitely not here to mock, make fun of, or disrespect any community or personal choices,” he said, adding that he wants the WNBA’s rules “applied equally, consistently, and without exception.” The post is capitalizing on controversy surrounding remarks from Indiana Fever guard Sophie Cunningham, who said in a July ESPN profile that she wants to protect young girls in a locker room, or young girls in sport who shouldn’t have to compete against biological men, while maintaining she does not “hate trans” people. The remarks have prompted rallies and counter-rallies outside WNBA arenas, and Cunningham addressed the fallout again this week, telling a USA Network broadcast that she wants “love and respect” to remain even amid disagreement, while lamenting that the debate has overshadowed the basketball itself, according to an OutKick report. See Privacy Policy at https://art19.com/privacy and California Privacy Notice at https://art19.com/privacy#do-not-sell-my-info.

  2. Jul 17

    Gov Tim Walz defends vote to pardon convicted sex offender

    Gov. Tim Walz is defending his vote to pardon a man convicted of molesting a 10-year-old child more than 20 years ago. Last week, the Trump administration deported Tou Lue Vang despite a pardon approved by Walz, Attorney General Keith Ellison and Supreme Court Chief Justice Natalie Hudson in their role on the Board of Pardons. Walz said the victim’s advocacy for Vang factored in his decision to grant the pardon. “I can tell you in these pardons, one of the overriding factors that continuously influences the decision — certianly of me, I can’t speak for the rest of the board, but looks like that — depends on where the victims are at,” Walz said. The governor emphasized that this action “didn’t let this person out of jail.” Vang completed his sentence — served entirely as supervised probation — in 2019. Walz said his vote to pardon Vang was not an attempt to prevent him from being deported, though Vang is at least the third convicted felon with pending removal orders to be pardoned in Minnesota this year. In May, the Board of Pardons unanimously granted clemency for At “Ricky” Chandee, who was convicted of second-degree assault in 1993; and Jai Vang, a Laotian man who was convicted of aggravated robbery in 1994. On the same day the board considered a pardon for Vang, four others who had applied for pardons — including three who were facing deportation — were denied. Brian Evans, a spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office, said they lacked victim support. In all cases, the Department of Homeland Security criticized the pardons as attempts to “take away qualifying convictions” for removal from the U.S. Vang was deported anyway. Walz questioned whether Vang’s removal improved outcomes in Minnesota. “I guess the question I would as is, did that make us any safer? Did that make the children that are left behind any more stable? Did it improve the idea that we can’t all be judged by our worst day?” Walz said. See Privacy Policy at https://art19.com/privacy and California Privacy Notice at https://art19.com/privacy#do-not-sell-my-info.

4.8
out of 5
135 Ratings

About

The Weekly Scramble features Mike Frattallone and Chris Reuvers’ light hearted look at daily life in the State of Minnesota. Twice a week they bring their unique, common-sense conservatives approach to the current headlines. Logical and witty, funny, smart and maybe a little too opinionated, Mike and Chris are here to help make sense of the nonsense facing Minnesotans.  

More From SKOR North

You Might Also Like