Learn Chinese with Yoyo Mo

[ All Chinese 1 ] All-Chinese Program 全中文节目 | Learn Chinese with Yoyo Mo

今天新开设一个专栏

jīn tiān | xīn | kāi shè | yī gè | zhuān lán

Today I’m launching a new column.

这里的节目只有中文

zhè lǐ | de | jié mù | zhǐ yǒu | zhōng wén

The content here is only in Chinese—

不对每一句话做翻译

bù | duì | měi yī jù | huà | zuò | fān yì

I won’t translate every sentence.

但是文字稿里面还是有拼音和英语

dàn shì | wén zì gǎo | lǐ miàn | hái shì | yǒu | pīn yīn | hé | yīng yǔ

but the script will still include Pinyin and English.

还是第一遍慢速,第二遍快速

hái shì | dì yī biàn | màn sù | dì èr biàn | kuài sù

It will still be the first pass at a slow speed and the second pass at a fast speed.

这个专栏可能更适合有基础的朋友

zhè ge | zhuān lán | kě néng | gèng | shì hé | yǒu | jī chǔ | de | péng you

This column may be more suitable for people with some Chinese foundation.

我也想试一试不同的形式

wǒ | yě | xiǎng | shì yī shì | bù tóng | de | xíng shì

I also want to try a different format

看看大家是否喜欢全中文的沉浸式内容

kàn kàn | dà jiā | shì fǒu | xǐ huān | quán zhōng wén | de | chén jìn shì | nèi róng

to see if everyone likes fully immersive Chinese-only content.

那么我们今天就先聊聊全中文

nà me | wǒ men | jīn tiān | jiù | xiān | liáo liáo | quán zhōng wén

So today let’s first talk about fully Chinese content.

我自己,以及给我孩子学英文

wǒ | zì jǐ | yǐ jí | gěi | wǒ | hái zi | xué | yīng yǔ

When I learn English myself, and when I teach my kids English,

都喜欢全英文的方式

dōu | xǐ huān | quán yīng yǔ | de | fāng shì

I prefer the fully English approach.

因为如果总是用母语去翻译

yīn wèi | rú guǒ | zǒng shì | yòng | mǔ yǔ | qù | fān yì

Because if you always use your native language to translate,

会带来更多的阻碍

huì | dài lái | gèng duō | de | zǔ ài

it will create more obstacles.

不同语言的思维方式不一样

bù tóng | yǔ yán | de | sī wéi | fāng shì | bù yī yàng

Different languages have different ways of thinking—

有很多句子不能翻译出原本的意思

yǒu | hěn duō | jù zi | bù néng | fān yì | chū | yuán běn | de | yì si

many sentences can’t be translated to retain their original meaning.

中文里有句话叫做

zhōng wén | lǐ | yǒu | yī jù huà | jiào zuò

There’s a saying in Chinese:

只可意会,不可言传

zhǐ kě | yì huì | bù kě | yán chuán

"It can only be sensed, not expressed in words."

我的其它节目都是

wǒ | de | qí tā | jié mù | dōu shì

All my other programs follow the format of

一句中文接一句英文翻译

yī jù | zhōng wén | jiē | yī jù | yīng yǔ | fān yì

one Chinese sentence followed by an English translation.

这是因为播客的局限性

zhè | shì | yīn wèi | bō kè | de | jú xiàn xìng

This is due to the limitations of podcasts.

如果我做视频内容

rú guǒ | wǒ | zuò | shì pín | nèi róng

If I were to create video content,

就不会给大家翻译

jiù | bù huì | gěi | dà jiā | fān yì

I wouldn’t provide translations for everyone.

我今天看了一个视频

wǒ | jīn tiān | kàn le | yī gè | shì pín

Today I watched a video

是一个英国人在自己的农场里

shì | yī gè | yīng guó rén | zài | zì jǐ | de | nóng chǎng | lǐ

where a British person, on his own farm,

给英语学习者做沉浸式全英文演示

gěi | yīng yǔ | xué xí zhě | zuò | chén jìn shì | quán yīng yǔ | yǎn shì

gave an immersive fully English demonstration for English learners.

这样的形式非常好

zhè yàng | de | xíng shì | fēi cháng | hǎo

This format is very good,

但是我也发现了问题

dàn shì | wǒ | yě | fā xiàn | le | wèn tí

but I also noticed some problems.

第一,初学者会有很多词句听不懂

dì yī | chū xué zhě | huì | yǒu | hěn duō | cí jù | tīng bù dǒng

First, there are many words and sentences that beginners won’t understand.

第二,对于我这样的非初学者

dì èr | duì yú | wǒ | zhè yàng | de | fēi chū xué zhě

Second, for non-beginners like me,

我全都能听懂

wǒ | quán dōu | néng | tīng dǒng

I can understand them all,

但是这就意义不大了

dàn shì | zhè | jiù | yì yì | bù dà | le

but it’s not very meaningful.

第三,就算听懂了

dì sān | jiù suàn | tīng dǒng | le

Third, even if you understand,

叫观众自己说,还是不会

jiào | guān zhòng | zì jǐ | shuō | hái shì | bù huì

when asked to speak yourself, you still can’t.

因为听力和口语是两回事

yīn wèi | tīng lì | hé | kǒu yǔ | shì | liǎng huí shì

Because listening and speaking are two different things.

那么就需要用到非常好用的

nà me | jiù | xū yào | yòng dào | fēi cháng | hǎo yòng | de

So we need to use the very effective method of

影子跟读

yǐng zi | gēn dú

shadowing.

而且需要反复多次跟读练习

ér qiě | xū yào | fǎn fù | duō cì | gēn dú | liàn xí