Arun Narayanan is an Editorial Analyst of Metadata Research and Development at Netflix. He started as an intern for Avi Arad Productions and Michael De Luca Productions while getting his Masters in Film and Television Productions at USC. After many freelance jobs including Background work, quality control for DVDs, media technician work, editing, production, and writing, Arun has always aspired for balance between his practical and creative pursuits. Now he splits his time between his career at Netflix and his writing.
In this episode, we talk about:
• How he collected, categorized and analyzed metadata for Disney (including Star Wars and Marvel movies, Black-ish, Greys Anatomy, etc)
• What is metadata and tagging and how do large Networks like Disney and Netflix utilize it?
• What he is currently working on at Netflix
• His short film at USC called Jonas and the Machine with Robert Funke (writer/creator for On Becoming a God in Central Florida starring Kirsten Dunst)
• Cool internships with Avi Arad Productions (The Amazing Spiderman, Iron Man, X Men) and Michael De Luca (The Social Network, Captain Phillips, Moneyball) *** I'd like to clarify here that although he was an intern for Michael de Luca during the time of filming Captain Phillips, he did not work on it, as I refer to in the episode.
• Writer of the Movie TIME CAPSULE with PixL featuring Reginald VelJohnson and Chris Kattan
• His awesome web series Arun Considers
• How he hated his first job at Pepsi Co, despite the great pay and company car
• What he learned from the MFA program at USC
• How he got his agent
Arun's Instagram and Twitter: @arunconsiders
Jonas and the Machine: https://vimeo.com/40645082
Pork Fried Rice: https://vimeo.com/33809973
*** CORRECTION - In the Intro, I referred to Arun as the 'human behind the algorithm' and that 'he and his team' work at Netflix. I would like to make it extremely clear that Arun is 'one of the humans behind the algorithm' and he is 'part of a team.'
Instagram: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneMiller
Twitter: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneM