Have you ever wondered about what other SaaS companies are doing to grow their business? What channels are they experimenting with? Where are they finding traction?
Welcome to How To SaaS — the go-to podcast for growing your cloud software company. Hosted by growth strategist Shiv Narayanan, Founder of How To SaaS and the CMO of Wild Apricot — the #1 membership software for small associations and nonprofits.
Each week will bring you interviews with founders, CEOs and growth leaders who have successfully implemented a growth strategy to help you take your cloud software company to the next level.
29: How to grow through acquisitions, focus and culture with Dave Gray
On episode 29 of the How To SaaS podcast, Shiv interviews Dave Gray, the former CEO of Daxko and current CEO of the Biso Collective. Dave and Shiv discuss how Daxko deployed a growth by acquisitions strategy to scale its business and the importance of focus in growing companies. Dave also shares the vision for his new initiative, Biso Collective, and how he plans on deploying a buy-and-hold strategy to give founders of mission-critical software companies a third alternative to a liquidity event outside of a strategic or financial buyer.
How to hire a rockstar product manager
On this episode of How To SaaS, we discuss how to hire a rockstar product manager and what aspiring product leaders need to become to be effective. Your Product leader needs to:
1. Understand the intersection of product management encompasses UX, Tech and Business and be able to serve the needs of each
2. Be market focused to help the rest of the company understand the market needs and pains that need to be addressed.
3. Be able to make important tradeoffs with limited resources to serve and please all the different stakeholders involved.
4. Appreciate growth and all the different levers that can be pulled to take the business to the next level.
5. Be incredibly data-driven and make decisions using an ROI, business case based approach.
How to build a content strategy for your SaaS company
Are you trying to figure out your content strategy? Here are 6 simple steps that can help you create a massive content backlog:
1) Who are you trying to help / serve? Ideally, use a real life example.
2) What keeps them up at night? What problems are they facing?
3) What are the negative consequences of their problems? What happens if they don't solve this problem?
4) What is their dream scenario? What are their motivations, needs and goals?
5) What are the checkpoints and milestones between where they are now and their dream scenario? Who do they need to become to achieve the transformation they want?
6) Build content for each step. Focus on the pain points, not the mechanical funnel stages.
How to forecast sales projections more effectively
Has your company ever missed its quarterly or annual sales projections? This is one of the top reasons why C-Level executives are let go from growing companies. It often happens inside companies where forecasting is treated more like a math exercise and the underlying growth model for the business isn't strong enough. That's why on this episode of How To SaaS, Shiv Narayanan talks about how executive teams can forecast sales projections more effectively, while still setting ambitious targets.
How to align sales and marketing
Have you ever been in a meeting where marketing claims that it is generating all these MQLs but sales isn't converting them, while sales claims the MQLs they're receiving are really not that good? On this episode, I talk about how MQLs are completely the wrong metric to use for alignment. Instead Sales Accepted Leads can do a far better job of bringing marketing and sales teams together to work as one unit.
How to get more budget for content
Have you ever tried to get more funding for Content Marketing initiatives or team members, only to have your CEO / CFO / CMO tell you there's not money in the budget for that? On this episode of How To SaaS, Shiv Narayanan talks about how you can go about making sure Content Marketing gets the funding it deserves to help you drive the business forward.
Go to the full episode blog post with slides, video and more: https://www.howtosaas.com/blog/how-to-get-more-funding-for-content-marketing
Shiv and his stellar guests shine the brightest of lights on the SaaS industry! Bold, insightful, and engaging are just a few of the words I’d use to describe the time you’ll spend with them. You’ll get tons of actionable advice and tangible tips, but you’ll also get heaps of inspiration from truly engaging individuals that have been where you are and want to see you succeed. Thanks for putting out such a superb show Shiv - keep up the great work!