The Institute for Energy Research (IER) is a not-for-profit organization that conducts intensive research and analysis on the functions, operations, and government regulation of global energy markets. IER maintains that freely-functioning energy markets provide the most efficient and effective solutions to today’s global energy and environmental challenges and, as such, are critical to the well-being of individuals and society.
#71: Robert Bryce on Robert Bryce on Texas, Reliability, and Natural Gas Bans(3-3-21)
Robert Bryce, an Austin-based journalist and author of six books on energy, joins the show to discuss his experience during the texas blackouts and discusses the importance of diversification in energy sources.
• This Blizzard Exposes The Perils Of Attempting To ‘Electrify Everything’:
• Juice: How Electricity Explains The World:
• Listen to the Power Hungry Podcast:
• Follow Robert Bryce on Twitter:
The Energy Update - Week of March 1st, 2021
This week the team highlights recent materials focusing on the extreme weather in Texas and the subsequent blackouts that impacted millions of residents.
• ARTICLE Understanding the Texas Energy Predicament: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/understanding-the-texas-energy-predicament/
• PODCAST The Plugged In Podcast #70: Kenny Stein on the Texas Blackouts: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/the-grid/the-plugged-in-podcast-70-kenny-stein-on-the-texas-blackouts/
#70: Kenny Stein on the Texas blackouts(2-24-21)
Kenny Stein, IER's Policy Director, joins the show to discuss what went wrong in Texas last week that created conditions for massive blackouts across the state and what Texas can do to avoid future calamities.
• Texas Plunges Into Electricity Crisis: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/the-grid/texas-plunges-into-electricity-crisis/
• Understanding the Texas Energy Predicament: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/the-grid/understanding-the-texas-energy-predicament/
• Krugman Misses on the Texas Blackout: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/the-grid/krugman-misses-on-the-texas-blackout/
#69: Paul Craney on the Transportation Climate Initiative(2-17-21)
Paul Craney, Spokesperson of the Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance, joins the show to discuss the Transportation Climate Initiative, what it would mean for New England and the other states involved, and what is being done to stop its implementation.
• Follow Paul on Twitter:
• Follow the Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MassFiscal
• More from the Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance:
• More on the TCI from MFA: https://www.massfiscal.org/transportation-climate-initiative-tci
• Video of MA Undersecretary for Climate Change David Ismay: "We Have to Break Your Will.": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muxVGmgykA4
• More on this issue from IER:
The Energy Update - Week of February 15th, 2021
This week the team highlights a recent article focusing on Joe Biden's executive orders aimed at reducing tax deductions utilized by many American energy producers while ignoring the massive subsidies given to renewable energy companies.
• ARTICLE Biden Directs Federal Agencies to Eliminate Fossil Fuel Tax Deductions: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/fossil-fuels/biden-directs-federal-agencies-to-eliminate-fossil-fuel-tax-deductions/
The Energy Update - Week of February 8th, 2021
This week the team highlights a recent article examining Pennsylvania governor Tom Wolf's proposal to institute a severance tax on the state's natural gas producers and what it would mean for energy producers and state residents. Plus, get a preview of the latest episode of the Plugged In podcast featuring IER's Director of Policy Kenny Stein on Biden's day one executive orders.
• ARTICLE Pennsylvania Should Resist Natural Gas Severance Tax: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/fossil-fuels/gas-and-oil/pennsylvania-should-resist-natural-gas-severance-tax/
• PODCAST Plugged In Podcast #68: Kenny Stein on President Biden’s Recent Executive Orders: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/climate-change/plugged-in-podcast-68-kenny-stein-on-president-bidens-recent-executive-orders/
Customer ReviewsSee All
This Podcast rules.
This may be of the greatest, nay THE GREATEST, podcasts I’ve ever listened to. Who knew energy policy could be so electrifying?!