"Light 'Em Up" is an empowering podcast focused on: The Criminal Justice System and interesting aspects of Crime Scene Investigation and Leadership. We take you behind the crime scene investigation tape.
3 Women Die Every Day at the Hands of their Intimate Partner. I'm a Survivor: Volunteer Coordinator Leanne Biltz, Hope & Healing, The Battered Women's Shelter & Rape Crisis Center Serving Summit & Medina Counties of Ohio
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. To show our level of commitment to bringing attention to this plague of violence we began this year with an interview with MJ Vess in an episode entitled: Broken Bones, psychological, emotional, financial abuse, intimidation and control. If you haven’t listened to this survival story, please do so here.
● 3 women are killed every day at the hands of their intimate partner.
Today we have the distinct honor and high privilege to sit and talk with Leanne Biltz, Volunteer Coordinator with The Battered Women’s Shelter & Rape Crisis Center of Summit and Medina, Ohio counties. It provides many essential services , like emergency shelter for those fleeing abuse, free therapy services, and hospital advocacy for those seeking a “rape kit”.
● 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
Advocacy for women’s issues comes naturally for Leanne. She said, “I’ve always been an advocate for women and helping to end violence against them.” An intimate partner abuse survivor herself, this issue is very close and very dear to her heart. She’s lived through it and now she fights against it.
Domestic violence is a pattern of behaviors used by one partner to maintain power and control over another in an intimate relationship. It comes in many different forms, including:
· Physical– the use or threat of physical force with the intent to cause harm. This can include shoving, strangling, grabbing, or throwing objects at the victim.
· Emotional/Verbal – using words to purposely cause harm. This includes name-calling, humiliation, the “silent treatment,” and gaslighting.
· Sexual: Any kind of unwanted sexual behavior.
· Financial: Stealing money from you, your family, or friends.
· Other control tactics, such as withholding money or having complete control over how money is spent, to withholding sleep from the victim.
In this smokin’ hot brand-new episode we dig deep and educate on:
● Until 1975, marital rape without legal ramifications was allowed and justified.
● Criminal Protective Orders
● One feature shared by most abusive relationships is that the abusive partner tries to establish or gain power and control through many different methods, at different moments.
● Domestic violence doesn’t discriminate. People of any race, age, gender, sexuality, religion, education level, or economic status can be a victim — or perpetrator — of domestic violence.
● The Summit County Sexual Response Team: what it consists of and the services it provides.
● Who the victims of Domestic Violence are.
● Stalking, sexual assaults of intimate partners and risk factors or “pre-attack indicators”.
● We examine if younger defendants more likely to re-abuse and recidivate than older defendants.
● Criminal perpetrators who commit these acts do so intentionally. They are filled with narcissistic rage and are master manipulators.
● We unpack any common traits that many abusers share, and how you or someone you care about can get help.
This episode is packed with so much information it simply isn’t possible to do it justice in attempting to describe everything that you’ll learn when you tune in. Those who do tune in will be enlightened, educated and empowered.
I’m honored to be a part of this team that is focused on investigative journalism and sharing the truth. Like it or not, the truth disturbs, the truth divides, but ultimately the truth delivers and in a time of crisis, the truth provides calm.
Meth, Murder & Mayhem: Targeting, Identifying & Documenting the Facts Without Getting “Burned”. An Intense Conversation with Private Investigator Ben Bergeron, Former Chief Criminal Investigator, Prosecutor’s Office, Summit County, Ohio.
This is our 30th episode!! Not an easy feat to achieve. Our fanbase and listenership has now reached 78 countries! Thank you so much for making this fact a reality. Every member of our production team is humbled and overjoyed by this global reach and expansion!
Today we have the distinct honor and high privilege to talk with someone whom I consider to be a dear friend of mine and whom I tremendously respect professionally: Ben Bergeron. For close to 8 years, he was the Chief Criminal Investigator with the Summit County Prosecutor’s Office.
He currently is a Licensed Private Investigator in the State of Ohio and the owner and founder of True Source Investigations, in North Canton, Ohio. Ben has observed A LOT in his long career. From child/sex/human-trafficking to meth labs, meth sales, to blood, bullets, murder and mayhem. Although Ben says that “investigation work isn’t as exciting as you see on TV or in the movies” he “loves it” and he is eager to tackle every new case in the hope of bringing justice and relief for his clientele.
Ben’s public service has involved being a dedicated Law Enforcement Park Ranger for Summit County; a Patrolman for Newcomerstown Police Department; a Deputy Sherriff for St. Tammany Parish Sherriff’s Office in Louisiana and for Summit County, Ohio. He served with great distinction, honor and merit as a Navigator and Quartermaster in The U.S. Navy. Ben is certified as a Master Criminal Investigator by the authority of the Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy and has over 10 years of law enforcement experience. He served 4 combat tours in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom and is the recipient of the Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal and Navy Commendation Medal.
Ben was charged with the oversight, investigation and prosecution of criminals charged with felony offenses as well as juvenile delinquents for the county. He also oversaw investigations regarding enforcing child support orders and protecting neglected or abused children.
In this smokin’ hot brand-new episode we dig deep, explore and educate on:
● The fact that during our lifetime we accumulate a “paper trail” of identifying information that stretches more than 7 miles in length.
● Reviewing the different areas of criminal investigation, procedural processes --- and the road map of how cases work their way through the courts and everything in between.
● We review the requirements to become a licensed private investigator and what are some of the “juicy details” of what an investigator does.
● As a public service for our listeners, he shares an extensive gun safety step by step process and checklist for the safe handling and operation of firearms.
● He shares insightful tips on how to go about protecting one from undesirable people, crime and scams in general.
● We define what an indictment is, and we look at the “direct indictment” process – that many counties favor versus the traditional process.
● We drill down on the 4 different types of Protection Orders.
●We educate and empower in our “Think Before You Send” Campaign for our Criminal Justice students, and the general public, regarding “sexting”.
● We explore how can the public help facilitate better relations with law enforcement.
This episode is packed with so much information it simply isn’t possible to describe everything that you’ll encounter when you tune in. Those who do tune in will be enlightened, educated and empowered.
I’m honored to again be a part of this team that is focused on investigative journalism and sharing the truth. Like it or not, the truth disturbs, the truth divides, but ultimately the truth delivers and in a time of crisis, the truth provides calm.
The Lie Behind the Lie Detector: A blistering exposé of the truth that polygraph examiners will NEVER reveal, with Mr. George Maschke, Co-Founder of Antipolygraph.org
Thank you to all of our listeners! We are currently being downloaded in 77 countries! 🌎🌎
In our final episode in the intense 3-part trilogy on ALL THINGS: Polygraph, we rip the band-aid off the topic in one jarring and impactful conversation!
We have the high privilege of sitting and talking with Mr. George Maschke, polygraph expert and Near East Languages & Cultures Ph.D. (UCLA).
On Monday, May 15, 1995, everything began to go downhill for George.
At the time, he was a 12-year veteran of the US Army, having served in both an
active and reserve capacity. He served as an interrogator, strategic debriefer, and tactical intelligence officer---and had continuously held a security clearance since 1983.
His encounter with the now deceased Jack Trimarco, who after retiring from The FBI in 2000, began conducting polygraph “tests” for the Dr. Phil TV Talk Show, lasted some 3 hours. And at the end of those 3 hours, Trimarco concluded that our guest was a spy, a drug user and drug dealer.
His application to be a Special Agent with the FBI was rejected, and the false accusations of his deception from his examiner were entered into his permanent FBI Headquarters file.
The FBI's accusations have had life-changing consequences for him.
George was crystal clear with us that a “A failure of an FBI polygraph exam is a lifetime disqualification, there are no second chances.” George poured everything he had physically, mentally and emotionally into trying to understand “how exactly he could tell the truth and yet still fail the exam” – an exam that the examiner said was “90% accurate”. He conducted an exhausting and deep investigation to better understand how he fell through the cracks --- this is the story of that journey and a large portion of his life.
On September 18, 2000 he helped co-found Antipolygraph.org – shortly after his high-level security clearance was stripped from him by The U.S. Army.
AntiPolygraph.org is a non-profit, public interest website dedicated to exposing and ending waste, fraud, and abuse associated with the use of polygraphs and other purported “lie detectors”. He co-authored The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.
George adamantly states that “polygraphy is most definitely not a science.
He is resolute on his positions that: My two previous guests: (Holly Niotti-Soltesz and Gil Witte) didn’t explain fully the function of the “control questions”. He holds that the public isn’t supposed to understand the full function of the control questions. He has “cast the gauntlet”, letting it be known that he would enjoy openly debating either or both of my previous guests!
He shares clear and effective techniques that you can employ to beat the test – that those who administer polygraph tests NEVER want you to be knowledgeable of.
As we drill deeper, farther and wider in this EXPLOSIVE episode you will hear detailed action steps to take on:
🧨If a person is charged with a crime and asked to take a polygraph exam, what should that person do immediately?
🧨Facts you need to know if you ever face an employment screening polygraph exam.
🧨Is the polygraph machine simply a “prop” for an interrogator to intimidate and scare confessions out of criminals?
🧨If there any truth involved in the “lie detector”, or is it all smoke and mirrors and a charade? 🧨We define for you what the Control Question Test or “CQT” actually is and its import. We expose – the “dirty little secrets” that lie behind the polygraph “test” as it relates to the “CQT”. 🧨Whether the polygraph exam is dependent on the examiner lying and deceiving the subject who is being examined.
Tune in and be empowered!
We are here FOR YOU and BECAUSE OF YOU!
"The Truth Is What Happened." Deep insights from an expert countermeasure and polygraph examiner: Gil Witte
We’ve g-r-o-w-n! We’ve e-x-p-a-n-d-e-d our global footprint to the country of Macedonia!
Now in 77 countries worldwide!
Thank you so much for your tremendous support!
Our focus was on the polygraph examination. We wanted to take two expert polygraph examiners and ask them many similar questions and see if we got similar responses.
Collectively, we were blown away by the extent of expertise from our special guest who was specifically recommended and referred to us.
On this fact-packed, smokin’ hot episode of Light ‘Em Up we drill to the core about all things polygraph.
Today we have the high privilege of speaking with our special guest, polygraph expert Mr. Guillermo “Gil” Witte. Gil’s priority is to get to the truth with every exam.
Gil has been a polygraph instructor at the Academy of Polygraph Science and other APA accredited schools. He received his education at the Florida International University, where he obtained a B.A. in Psychology.
He also has published articles in The Police Polygraphist (newsletter of the American Association of Police Polygraphists) and the APA Magazine.
Mr. Witte holds memberships in the following organizations:
• American Polygraph Association
• American Association of Police Polygraphists
• The Association of Polygraph Examiners (California and Alabama)
On this exclusive episode we examine:
● The nuts and bolts of a polygraph exam, also known as a PDD exam (Psycho-Physiological Detection of Deception Exam). As Gil states, “There is a lot to the polygraph process, from the interview, the testing, analysis and revelation of results, truth is what happened, not a perception of it”.
● The electrodermal response is a very important response in the polygraph exam --- (typically sensors that go on the palm of the hands or the fingertips).
● How a lay person knows if they are being examined by a properly trained and competent forensic psycho-physiology expert.
● We define and examine what a “false positive” is and how that term applies to polygraph security and pre-employment screening.
● We define a “false negative” and the implications of such.
● In laymen’s terms, we discuss the admissibility of polygraph test results in U.S. courts and we discuss the Frye Standard, which we get from the case Frye v The United States.
● Is there an error rate to the examination, if yes, what are those percentages?
I doubt after listening to Gil you’ll ever have another question about the polygraph exam. Gil shares his decades of expertise from the beginning to the end of this impacting episode!
Human resource professionals or job seekers, if you are required to administer or to take a polygraph exam as a requirement of pre-employment screening, THIS is the resource episode for you!
Any story is true until you hear both sides of the story. The crucible of cross-examination ferrets out the truth. As we customarily say on our podcast, “the truth disturbs, the truth divides, but ultimately the truth delivers”.
Please share this podcast with a friend or a family member that you think may like it. We are here for you and because of you!
I hope you find this episode to be enlightening, educational and empowering!
Knowledge isn’t power unless you do something specifically with that knowledge that empowers you!
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth: All Things Polygraph with Expert Polygraph Examiner Holly Niotti Soltesz (Owner, HNS Polygraph)
We are worldwide in 76 countries!
On this exclusive explosive episode of Light ‘Em Up - we’re talking ALL THINGS about the polygraph exam - that’s right, the lie detector test!
“In God we trust, all others we Polygraph” …
A polygraph, also referred to as a lie detector test, is an instrument that measures and records several physiological indicators such as blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and skin conductivity while a person is asked and answers a series of questions.
Its use is ever-expanding, and has readily been seen in pre-employment screening, the criminal justice system and issues involving national security.
We have the high honor and distinct privilege of speaking with our special guest Holly Niotti Soltesz, founder/owner of HNS Polygraph Services (Youngstown, OH and Cranberry Township, PA).
Established in 2008, HNS Polygraph has been retained by law enforcement agencies, district attorneys, defense attorneys, therapists, private individuals and city and county officials to conduct polygraph testing when the truth is absolutely needed. HNS Polygraph Services is a veteran-owned business that strictly adheres to all standards of polygraph set forth by the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM), The American Polygraph Association (APA) and The International Society of Polygraph Examiners or (ISOPE).
The primary role of a polygraph examiner is to assess and ascertain the truth of one statement or the validity of a denial regarding any allegation made against a person. The expert polygraph examiner, through their passion to the science and their commitment to excellence, tries their level best to get to the truth.
Holly’s primary area of expertise is sexually-based allegations of statutory rape, gross sexual imposition, child pornography and child sexual assault and infidelity matters.
On this explosive episode we drill to the core on:
💥 What exactly a polygraph examiner does?
💥 Empirical evidence about how deceptiveness—and other psychological conditions—affect the physiological responses that the polygraph measures.
💥Why do we lie, and what in fact is “truth”?
💥Why do people submit themselves for polygraph exams when they know they are lying ?
💥 We examine the difference between a “specific issue exam” and a “multi-issue exam”.
💥 We share examples of baseline questions that would be asked at the start of an examination.
💥 How does a lay person know if they’re being examined by a properly trained and competent forensic psycho-physiology expert?
💥Overt “signs and signals of deception”
Holly says, “There are some really good liars out there and equally, the opposite is true, there are some truthful people that really look deceptive.”
💥 Can a lie detector test be “beaten”?
Holly shares with us explosive revelations of what the current trend is which in many occurrences has necessitated a polygraph exam to be conducted in the hope of ascertaining the truth of the allegations lodged against far too many parents - very, serious stuff, all in the pursuit of justice.
And so much more!
A lie-detector test, a polygraph exam, or a psychophysiology veracity exam – regardless of how it is referred to, it works!
Holly clearly understands the gravity of the matter: “This is someone’s life that we hold in our hands – their life and liberty stand in the balance.”
You will not want to miss this episode!
If you have ever lied, or know someone who has lied, or is a liar, this episode is for YOU!
It is my most sincere prayer that this episode is educational and empowering for you!
Thank you so much for all of your on-going support!
Part II: "I just want justice for my son." The disturbing case of Ter'Rion Dunn: An innocent young man charged with capital murder simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. An in-depth discussion with his mother, Kimkeshia Johnson-Byron.
On this special investigative episode of Light ‘Em Up we revisit an extremely troubling case that our production team of investigators brought to your attention recently.
It’s the case of Ter’Rion Dunn in Butler, Alabama. Ter’Rion Dunn has been charged with Capital Murder. Capital Murder is, by far, the most serious of violent crimes in Alabama. Capital Murder is a Class A felony, carrying with it a potential 10 years to life sentence or even a possible penalty of death.
Typically speaking, a defendant or individual charged or suspected of capital murder involves allegations where that individual planned and possessed premeditation to commit murder.
Now, if you missed our first look at this troubling case, it’s season 2, episode 5 on March 20 of this year entitled: "I just want justice for my son." It runs just over ½ an hour, and I urge any listeners who may have missed it for any reason to listen to that episode. If you didn’t catch that episode, you can find it here: Buzzsprout
Today we have the distinct pleasure and honor to again be speaking with Kimkeshia Byron-Johnson, the mother of Ter’Rion Dunn.
On this smokin’ hot episode we uncover new blockbuster evidence and explore:
● How Ter’Rion Dunn is surviving some 19 months after being arrested and not being offered bail, languishing in jail, while the alleged trigger man is out on bond to move around freely and not being exposed to a heightened risk of contracting COVID-19.
● The financial hardship of having a child wrongfully imprisoned and how this fact has impacted directly on Kimkeshia, her other children and the family as a whole – as family members of an incarcerated person are “hidden victims” as well.
● We petition you for assistance with for Ter’Rion in order to defray the mounting costs of his on-going legal defense. We provide the landing page that our Criminal Justice Foundation Justice Rolls Down has established to help accomplish that goal. That fund is LIVE and currently can be found at: https://gogetfunding.com/Justice4TerRion/
● We have discovered a letter from the Office of The Attorney General for The State of Alabama that raises interesting questions about the State’s case against Ter’Rion Dunn.
● We explore key foundational issues such as Ter’Rion Dunn’s alleged motive, intent and preparation to commit this crime.
● We explore a curious lack of evidence disclosed – as required by law – in the case against Ter’Rion Dunn, some 19 months after this crime was committed.
●In our educational component of the show, we review and define what the multiple motions filed in this case are and their purpose, including motions to suppress and inspect evidence and numerous others.
Our investigative reporting is impacting this case. From this deep southern state that gave us the railroading of The Scottsboro Boys, to Governor George Wallace, who in his 1963 inauguration famously vowed, “Segregation today! Segregation tomorrow! Segregation forever!”, we update a case that raises questions as to whether a law enforcement misconduct still has a grip on the State of Alabama.
Please listen to this important update episode of Light ‘Em Up and empower yourself with the truth. The truth disturbs, the truth divides, but ultimately, the truth delivers.
We our global footprint has expanded to more than 76 countries.
Thank you so much for helping us grow. Follow the smoke 🌋🌋🌋 to the fire! 🔥🔥🔥
Thanks so much for your support
Executive Producer: Phil Rizzo
Light ‘Em Up Brings The Knowledge
This episode is 🔥🔥(Season 2 Episode 6). I learned so much. As a true crime follower, this knowledge dropped had me feeling like class was in session. Your knowledge of CSI is impressive & as was the Medical Examiner, Amy Schaefer. It is evident that you both know your stuff & do your homework continuously. I’ll be watching Dateline, 48 hours, & 20/20 through a new lens, thanks to your show.
This is for real listeners (Lil Bro. Mr. Marshall)
If you are looking for a feel good podcast, keep scrolling! However; if you are willing to ride with those on the front lines of justice, you will be right at home. Phil brings A list production, but far above curated content, he is branching topic and running into what many people go away from. Words cannot express how grateful I am personally for people like him who are willing to stand for justice in a manner that goes beyond empty rhetoric. If you want to take that journey, subscribe and GET READY! You are in for a wild ride, but one you will not regret taking for the sake of others and the em-betterment of us all.
Love The Content
I’m happy I was able to find a podcast for someone like me that looks for something different. I’m happy to be able to support this brother in his future endeavors. Great shows on here. Keep them coming!!