Duane and Aaron Johnson are co-founders of Bridger Financial Services.
Episode 39: The Debt Ceiling and What It Means for Americans
1. There are 3 potential ways to balance the US Budget and start to pay off debt.
2. 2. Soon the U.S. will be spending more on interest on our than we will spend on any other program.
3. 3. The math doesn’t work out to only raise taxes on the wealthy.
4. 4. Taxes will increase for everyone.
5. 5. Tax-Free accounts will become more important in the future.
How to Stop Stressing Over Money and Start Enjoying Retirement
Take intermittent steps into retirement. Go part-time, then retire. Work with a financial planner that will look holistically at your income and assets. If you don’t have a pension, be sure you have a strategy for taking Social Security. That may include taking it early or waiting until after FRA. Have your adviser run different scenarios so you can see the difference with taxes, income and how your assets are used.
Why You Should Separate Income and Growth
The traditional way of investing doesn’t work. Research proves it It only works in up markets. Your income bucket should last 12+ years. It’s important to keep your income bucket away from your growth bucket. You can’t have your safe bucket going negative due to the market.
How to Increase Your Confidence through Retirement
Only about 25% of Americans have been able to reach this goal. A traditional balanced portfolio no longer works according to JPMorgan and Goldman Sachs studies. Add in some guaranteed products, like annuities. Even the big Wall Street firms like Goldman Sachs, Fidelity, and Morgan Stanley are starting to see the value in them. Make sure you are talking to an adviser who specializes in retirement income planning and has the freedom to pick and choose products that are right fit for you.
How to Retire and Aim for The Same Standard of Living
1. Only about 25% of Americans are able to reach this goal.
2. A traditional balanced portfolio no longer works according to JPMorgan and Goldman Sachs studies.
3. If you add in guarantees to your portfolio, you can still take the 4% or more and have your money last your retirement.
4. The adviser you speak with matters. Some big firms limit what their advisors can do because they don’t make money off certain products.
The Secure Ace 2.0
Required Minimum Distribution changes to age 73 and will move to age 75 in 2033. The Required Minimum Distribution penalty of 50% decreased to 25% and possibly down to 10%. Catch-Up contributions have increased and will increase even further for those 60-63 in 2024. 529’s that have remaining balances can now be rolled to a Roth IRA for the beneficiary. There is still clarification on some things coming down the pike.