SubRant: a podcast wherein Catherine and James, two wildly (mildly) creative and cosmopolitan (provincial) Parisians (Phoenicians), wander in and out of conversations about art and other stuff that annoys them.
Episode #56: Interview with Grace Habib of Shop Refugee
- Grace Habib of Shop Refugee part of GoTen
- Grace started as an English teacher with GoTen
- Seamstress volunteers wanted to start Sewing class started 2021
- Grace shifted from English teaching to running Shop Refugee full time
- Stared by rebranded Shop Refugee
- Expanded classes and has its own workshop (20 person max)
- Loving Covers helped out with material donations in the beginning
- Sourcing material locally
- City Serve (Amazon, Walmart, and CostCo returns)
- Sheer fabric = Scrunchy
- Mesh netting = produce bags
- Environmentally friendly process
- 95% of sales goes to seamstress
- Business owners now coming to Shop Refugee for seamstresses
- Noggin Boss
- Seamstresses are contract working and can work at home at their pace
- Bead trade of Murano
- Welcome Cookie!
- Grace rents out her wedding arch and a mogul is born!
- Grace's marketing side hustle
- We need to support more refugees
- Parolees from Afghanistan
- Refugee is a legal status
- Spread the world!
- The Rock as the model
- Requests welcome!
- Sewing machines are awesome
- Farmer's markets
- World Refugee Day Phoenix College
- Retail stores:
- - Cultivate coffee
- - Gather Phoenix
- - SBC Book Store
- Phoenix eats batteries and tires!
- Success stories from the class
- Rapha House
- Donations (fabric and thread)!
- Aug 18 - Meeting for volunteers
Episode #55: Contemplating Namjooning
- 00:15 - Tired of "adulting"
- 00:45 - Disregard SubRant dating advice
- 01:40 - The Met is not MOMA!
- 02:00 - Catherine doesn't listen to James!
- 02:50 - SubRant stickers buy a Lamborghini
- 03:20 - Episode 55 is important (?)
- 03:59 - All politics are local
- 04:45 - Hospitals waste time and plastic (and lives)
- 06:10 - Pink plastic (from one room) fills the dump!
- 07:15 - James has a suggestion for hospital performance art
- 07:45 - What would happen if we stopped using plastic?
- 08:35 - Hypothetical plastic recycling
- 09:53 - Sequester plastic so it doesn't kill us
- 11:10 - Glass water bottles kind of suck
- 12:15 - Glass is no picnic either
- 14:05 - Conquering the world in just 70 years
- 14:34 - Hard pass on intelligence and sacrifice
- 15:45 - Can't grow your own in Phoenix
- 16:30 - James has faith in good engineering
- 17:35 - Fewer cows would be nice
- 18:40 - Thirteen uses to offset carbon footprint
- 19:30 - Baffled by K-pop and BTS
- 20:15 - Kim Nam Joon, art enthusiast
- 20:25 - RM fans flood art museum
- 22:10 - Is it just a passing fad?
- 24:17 - James gives it one shrug (WTF?)
- 26:45 - Who is on your list of favorite modern artists?
- 29:00 - Vicarious expansion via Instagram
- 30:00 - Contemplating "Namjooning"
- 30:40 - James wants a study, but is it necessary?
- 32:50 - Moving to Italy but visiting ROK
- 33:29 - Fingers crossed!
Episode #54: Interview with Judy Schwiebert and Jeanne Casteen
We Speak With
Jeanne Casteen: Candidate for Arizona State Senate LD2
Judy Schwiebert: Arizona House of Representatives LD2
The disfunction in the Arizona legislature
The problems Arizonians are actually facing
Fighting the wave of extreme legislation from The American Legislative Exchange Council
The distraction of the "Culture Wars"
The trajectory of Womens Rights in America
Let's do better
The Arizona State Budget and the 5.3 billion dollar surplus
School Choice - we already have it!
Super majority for voter initiative
Ice cream vs cake
Episode #53: Artist of the week: Frode Bolhuis
- Earth vs. Mars
- Top 5, No Surprise!
- Trail Stories
- Instagram Artist Sells High
- Frode Bolhuis
- 00:15 - A better world or Mars
- 00:50 - Rovers with no soul
- 01:15 - Half of global art sales, but is the art interesting?
- 01:30 - L.A. makes "Top 5" art city list
- 02:15 - California, Mars, what's the difference?
- 02:50 - New York, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami
- 03:50 - "Bananas, duct tape, invisible art" in Miami
- 04:05 - Is the "creative center" really in Seoul?
- 05:00 - Has NY lost its "artsy" edge?
- 05:40 - "The Getty" ruined a biking trail
- 06:20 - James gets dumped (on the worst trail ini Phoenix)!
- 08:00 - A wash and a boulder
- 08:50 - Tom Thumb trashed toenails
- 09:30 - Underrepresenting women in art
- 11:00 - North Mountain in the dark
- 12:20 - Strava tracks your stuff?
- 14:31 - Social media intelligence test?
- 15:35 - "I Am Not a Robot" tests don't care if you're a robot
- 16:50 - Instagram artist makes good!
- 17:35 - Liking the still lifes and "Godzilla"
- 19:40 - Tiny figures make me happy! Frode Bolhuis
- 21:28 - Human form, human psyche
- 23:14 - Kinda like Pinocchio?
- 24:04 - Intuitive Alarm!
- 25:30 - It takes this village (to make interesting people)
- 26:05 - Daily creativity
- 27:35 - Actually discussed art!
- 28:02 - We're both done!
Episode #52: Interview with Tim Sprague
- Tim Sprague - Real Estate Developer - Phoenix, AZ
- 00:10 - Welcome Tim Sprague!
- 01:00 - Tim's story: "I got thrown into the deep end of the pool!"
- 03:00 - Prime interest rate comparison provides perspective
- 04:19 - Crazier than the 1980's!
- 04:27 - COVID, world economy, supply chain issues, Ukraine
- 05:15 - Tim is "pro-Phoenix", but it took awhile
- 05:45 - Waiting for cold tap water...
- 08:00 - Desert biome sunsets are the best!
- 10:43 - Courage, school of hard knocks, transforming community
- 11:40 - Applying lessons from bigger urban centers
- 12:15 - Cultivating arts, culture, and design into buildings
- 12:30 - Oasis on Grand - Affordable Housing for Artists
- 15:00 - Funding affordable living and political challenges
- 15:55 - Stratified Economic Housing
- 17:20 - Greenfield development vs in-fill projects
- 18:30 - Urban sprawl taxes community infrastructure
- 20:00 - Walkable communities, neighbors, being known
- 22:00 - Good design beats fashion
- 23:40 - Found:Re - Hotel and Gallery
- 27:01 - Arizona "Art Boutique Hotel" for all facets of art
- 28:35 - Not pretentious, not fussy, just beautiful art
- 29:08 - "Industrial Chic" and good lighting!
- 31:10 - "Cracking the egg" on in-fill development
- 32:38 - Roosevelt Action Association in response to 1-10 expansion
- 33:35 - Margaret T. Hance Park, the most invisible park in the country
- 34:12 - "The Golden Spike" joins East and West freeways
- 35:48 - Tim listens (and repeats!)
- 36:35 - "Creativity means generating ideas, good design pays for itself"
- 37:35 - "Everything we really care about is based on a story"
- 38:10 - Tim tells a story about his grandfather
- 39:10 - Tim will return in "Drought Talk"
Episode #51: Mona Lisa Eats Cake
- Deep dig into Minecraft
- Plumber shout out!
- Multiple follow-ups
- MET does good website!
- People and art students suck
- Betty Rubble
- 00:18 - Catherine chooses coffee over Bedrock
- 01:00 - Microsoft emails James
- 01:30 - History of Minecraft, the original blocky world
- 03:15 - Scripting, cross-platform, running native? What?
- 03:55 - SubRant embraces “tech geek world”
- 04:30 - Everything leads to “The Flintstones”
- 05:20 - Plumber shout out! https://georgebrazilplumbingelectrical.com
- 06:20 - Expansion tank saves the day!
- 06:44 - Nicholas is also a “Grocery Store Superstar”!
- 07:55 - Fake bird surveillance joke follow up https://youtu.be/l30_APBNPXg
- 09:25 - We’re not art lawyers, but Catherine will test the waters
- 10:00 - We’re not scientists either, so below are alternate sources
- - 1 - Kat Epidemiologist https://www.epidemiologistkat.com
- - 2 - Very Bad Wizards https://www.verybadwizards.com
- - 3 - Andy Does Healthy https://www.tiktok.com/@andydoeshealthy
- 11:25 - James is a ruthless self-promoter (not)
- 12:05 - Now here’s a really good museum website! https://www.metmuseum.org
- 12:26 - Fly-through videos! https://www.metmuseum.org/art/online-features/met-360-project
- 13:00 - “Fake” follow-up about curator responsibility
- 14:45 - Mona Lisa eats cake https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/05/mona-lisa-attacked-at-louvre-museum-by-vandal-with-patisserie
- 16:40 - Breaking News: “People suck”
- 17:12 - James makes a case for cannibalism
- 17:50 - Groceries going MIA
- 18:58 - Forget Durango, just camp in San Francisco
- 21:15 - Details are important (and interesting)
- 22:10 - Marks of the mono print
- 23:26 - Intaglio embarrassment: Catherine gets mocked in art class
- 25:17 - Garbage torso painting is difficult because it’s garbage!
- 26:20 - Education theory according to James
- 26:55 - Betty Rubble
- 27:25 - At least the plumbers are listening!
Absolutely love your podcast, hopef you continue to grow!
Oddly And Surprisingly Entertaining
Listened in entirety to this quirky yet relatable “rant” about “nothing” that left me amused and wanting to hear more. Enjoyable banter! Will listen again to hear this morph into “something”!