This podcast is for millennial skeptics, regular Sunday church goers, those who have given up on church, pastors, and explorers just wanting to learn a little more about the big book. Each week Rev. A.J. Houseman and guests will talk about Bible texts from the RCL and digging deeper into aspects of the week's texts that get glossed over or totally ignored in most preaching. The Bible has a lot of parts that are racy, uncomfortable, and sometimes downright horrifying. Let's talk about it.
Ep 3.11 Un-Ladylike: Tamar with Pastor Tuhina Rasche
Tamar is our first “un-ladylike” Matriarch. She takes matters into her own hands in a scandalous sex story. She subverts the societal norms that keep her in her place. Join Pastor Tuhina and Pastor A.J. in this deep conversation about one of our Biblical Matriarchs and her story of scandal, betrayal, and redemption. Find downloadable materials for your Advent study group on our website! www.tenfootpolepodcast.com/unladylike
1. What does it mean to be “ladylike”?
2. How is this image of women oppressive?
3. How does Tamar break this mold?
4. What systems and structures are in play that cause Tamar’s situation?
5. Pastor Tuhina says “the most vulnerable some can be is in a place a space of non-existence”, what are examples of this in our society?
6. What does it mean to fulfill what God calls us to be beyond our gender?
7. What does it mean for us to have the story of God’s people so explicit?
8. “What is often one of the biggest yearnings for people who wander?”
Ep 3.10 The Divine Commonwealth of God with Pastor Jason Chesnut
Christ the King Sunday seems like a long standing tradition, right? Well, it was instituted not nearly as far back in history than you may think. In a world that is overrun with leaders who put themselves first and highest of all, here’s your quick reminder: Christ is above all. This Sunday and it’s meaning is an invitation into God’s coming empire. Join Pastor Jason and Pastor A.J. in this conversation about what God’s kingdom is, what is our expectation, and who is invited into this empire. We look at Matthew 25:31-46 for Sunday, November 26, 2023.
1. What are your experiences with Christ the King Sunday?
2. What does the word “empire” make you feel? “Kingdom”? “Commonwealth”?
3. How do you interpret what Jesus asks us to do for this kingdom/empire?
4. How do you read and interpret the Bible in your life?
5. Where is the good news?
Remember: next week starts out Advent Matriarch Study! Look for materials online at www.tenfootpolepodcast.com/unladylike
Ep 3.9 Truths of a Multi-Ethnic Prophet with Daniel Crofts
In this episode we dive into a deep conversation around complacency fueled by the prophet, Zephaniah. When are we complacent in the church? In our lives? How is this prophet drawing us out into the world and challenging this complacency? We chat about Zephaniah 1:7-18 for Sunday, November 19, 2023.
1. Why is complacency bad?
2. Do you think Zephaniah’s heritage matters here?
3. What is the opposite of complacency?
4. What are we being drawn out to do?
5. How does Zephaniah teach the broadening of the family of God?
6. What does it mean to you to be “called, gathered, and sent for the sake of the world”?
7. When are we complacent in church?
Ep 3.8 Afterlife FOMO with Pastor Elise Anderson Brock
Join Pastor Elise and Pastor A.J. as we read some of Paul’s mail. 1st Thessalonians is one of the earliest letters of Paul and it’s very pastoral. The big question from this community is “what if we die before Jesus comes back? Do we still get to go to Heaven?” Seems like a weird questions to us now, but it was a very scary reality they were living with. Let us dive into what is our theology around death, the afterlife, and the second coming of Jesus. This episode talks about 1st Thessalonians 4:13-18 for Sunday, November 12, 2023.
1. What aspects of our faith do we struggle with and wish we had someone like Paul to write a letter to?
2. When and how did you develop your working theology around the afterlife?
3. What was the most uncomfortable part of the afterlife conversation for you?
4. How often do you talk about death in your study of the Bible?
5. What do you want to look back on your life and see? How do you get there?
6. What is the good news?
Un-Ladylike: An Advent Matriarch Study Trailer
Looking for a Bible study for Advent? Well look no further... the TFP has got you covered! This Advent we will bring in four amazing female theologians to talk about the four Matriarchs that are called out in the genealogy of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew and the scandal around their stories. Look for materials on our website: tenfootpolepodcast.com/unladylike and look for the first episode starting November 28th at 7AM EST!
Ep 3.7 Long Fringe Complex with Pastor Ray Ranker
This is an introspective one. When we look in the mirror, what are our big phylacteries and long fringes? What do we need to take a moment to examine in ourselves as a church that Jesus may be calling out? If Jesus were to walk in your church, what would he be upset about? Pastor Ray and Pastor A.J. dig deep into what Jesus might be calling us out on and calling us into as people of God. This episode is about Matthew 23:1-12 for Sunday, November 5, 2023.
1. Do you ever suffer from “Princess Syndrome” in the church?
2. Where do we get caught up in “teams” in our faith?
3. What are things about your church that you think Jesus would be upset about?
4. What do you think are Jesus’ expectations of us?
Thank you Pastor AJ, we are blessed to have you as a part of St. Matthews and we have learned so much already that is grounded in God’s Word. We love your sermons and your podcasts! We look forward to reviewing your previous podcasts and getting to know you better. Have a wonderful, blessed and Spirit-filled week! Wayne and Patricia Weart
Lovely Podcast with thoughtful discussions
I just wanted to offer a word of thank you for your ministry. It has inspired me so greatly. Hearing the word from someone else that is in the LGBTQIA+ community is so inspiring. So much so that it has encouraged me to answer a call that I have felt for a long time. But couldn’t answer because of my gender identity. But I see that this is just a self imposed box. Thank you for your podcast and look forward to the new episodes weekly!