The Ski Podcast is a UK-based podcast that looks at at all aspects of the world of skiing and snowboarding, from resorts to racing, Ski Sunday to slush.
It is hosted by Iain Martin, who is joined by guests from the world of snow to chat about wintery stuff and probe around in the avalanche of ski news.
Iain is part of the ski and snowboard industry furniture. He spent many winters in the mountains and went on to found Natives.co.uk (http://natives.co.uk) - the season workers' website. After selling Natives, Iain founded http://Skipedia.co.uk - a digital marketing consultancy specialising in snowsports - and Ski Flight Free (http://www.skiflightfree.org) - a campaign to encourage skier to take the train or drive rather than flying to their ski holiday.
The podcast was co-founded by Jim Duncombe, who left the show in 2020, but still occasionally appears as guest presenter.
If you want to get in touch or take part you can email us on email@example.com
Music: http://www.purple-planet.com Logo: http://www.vexels.com
A Ski Podcast Special: How To Become A Pisteur
· Tom Greenall is founder of Idris Skis and ran a cat skiing operation in Japan for three years
· The first qualification required is a Fleche Vermillion, which he passed on his second attempt
· Glen Plake (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Plake) has been coming to Chamonix since 1987 (this will be the first winter he's missed since then)
· The Test Technique for the ski patrol took Tom four attempts: Puy St Vincent (https://www.puysaintvincent.com/en) , then Chatel, Serre Chevalier (https://www.serre-chevalier.com/en) and then finally passing at Puy St Vincent
· The Premiere Secours Equipe Niveau 1 & 2 is the standard rescue industry first aid course
· Tom’s Pisteur Course cost €3000 and took place in Les Orres (https://www.lesorres.com/en/ski-area)
· The course included knowledge of middle mountain environment; weather and snow awareness; Rules and Regulations; taking the PSE2 first aid to the ski patrol environment; sled (‘bloodwagon’ practice); avalanche practice
· This concluded with exams on the two types of sled; an avalanche beacon search; a simple first aid case and a complex first aid case.
· You can listen to our interview with the producers of ‘Ski A&E’ in Val Thorens in Episode 43
69: Tignes, Murren 007, Joining the Ski Patrol & The National Snow Show
Stephie Dijkman is Sales & Marketing Director at Tignes
Buses in Tignes are operating fine, not like in Meribel (listen to Episode 68 (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://audioboom.com/posts/7802095-68-skiing-the-berlin-wall-jungfrau-review-avalanches-charlotte-bankes&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3mdacgb8WJNmuL_1IHgX20) for more on this)
Walking and snow shoeing have both been very popular (https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1364518040247951360) with the lifts closed
Would you try ice diving in Tignes (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://evolution2.com/en/tignes/ice-diving-2&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw03RFoYnOHEOK4IOkq7JLA-) ?!
Tignes have seen occupancy around 25%, compared to 95% usually for vacances scholaires - 55% of their clientele to come from outside France
Tignes have announced summer skiing (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.tignes.net/skiing/summer-skiing&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0RjbFOs5bZS6yjjQ3qwJZq) on the glacier from 19 June to 01 August
Zermatt charges considerably more for race training (https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1364231207999975434)
Research from the Mountain Trade Network (https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1364536090166779904) suggests that more people are looking for longer two week holidays
Workations are becoming more popular, both Courchevel and La Clusaz (https://www.skipedia.co.uk/2021/02/one-month-in-la-clusaz-for-one-euro/) have had special ‘teletravail’ offers
Joe Ponte is CEO at Hotelplan (https://www.hotelplan.co.uk/) includes Inghams, Flexiski, Esprit and Ski Total
SBIT (http://sbit.org.uk/) are campaigning to try and help employers of seasonal staff
You can listen to the full version of this interview in our Special Episode (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://audioboom.com/posts/7806224-a-ski-podcast-special-joe-ponte-ceo-hotelplan-uk&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1H0DdHG-Fdn4yfK5u3LVCB) released last week
Friend of the show Katy Dartford was in Les Menuires
Catherine Cosby from Mountains 4 All reported in from Gstaad in Switzerland
Jim was reporting from Bulgaria
Charlie Rees has been in Murren
The Bond film ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’ was filmed here
Tom Greenall has trained to become a pisteur in France. This will be released as a special podcast next week
The National Snow Show (https://nationalsnowshow.com/) will take place at the Birmingham NEC from 23-24 October 2021
Ski Sunday (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/56132030&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3RurnBoyvH8XC_1-OaMKbf) prompted a lot of discussion after a feature on diversity in their last episode
We interviewed the founders of Mount Noire in Episode 61 (https://audioboom.com/posts/7714710-61-courchevel-eiger-express-engelberg-picture-organic)
Listen to our ski podcast special about Benjamin Alexander (https://audioboom.com/posts/7683199-a-ski-podcast-special-benjamin-alexander-jamaican-skier)
Janet Barnett: "Thanks again for continuing to keep us informed & entertained on all things skiing"
Jonny Goldsborough: "Long term listener, tks for keeping the ski vibe going in challenging times!"
Nicky: "You are keeping me going whilst working from home"
Pete: "Been a listener since the beginning. Great podcast entertaining and informative. Keep up the good work."
I'd like to thank all of these guys, who also bought me a cuppa. If you enjoy The Ski Podcast, you can buy me a coffee at www.buymeacoffee.com/theskipodcast (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.buymeacoffee.com/theskipodcast&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0ZhQ7h4c_Cr-1AXhCHBBRo)
Question: Jonny G asked about our 'least favourite resorts'
Interview with Martin Bell and we'll have more from Charlie in Murren about the Inferno
A Ski Podcast Special: Joe Ponte, CEO Hotelplan UK
Joe Ponte is CEO at Hotelplan UK (https://www.hotelplan.co.uk/) , the company that own the Inghams, Esprit, Flexiski and Ski Total brands.
During our conversation Joe and I talked about a wide range of subjects including:
His first experience of the travel industry at Flight Centre (https://www.flightcentre.co.uk/) in Australia
Joe was previously MC at Explore Worldwide (https://www.explore.co.uk/)
Joe joined Hotelplan in November 2020
The challenges of this unusual season
Optimism bias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimism_bias)
The Save Our Summer (https://www.sostravel.uk/) travel lobbying group
60% of Hoteplan customers carried over their cancelled bookings to next winter
Year on year bookings are 100% up
Iain went to Crans Montana in December (https://theskipodcast.com/podcast/episode-65-the-great-escape-from-verbier-skiing-in-wales-cross-country-crans-montana/)
Hotelplan will be offering 32 chalets for winter 2021/22
Find out more about the SBIT campaign here (http://sbit.org.uk/)
68: Skiing the Berlin Wall, Jungfrau Review, Avalanches & Charlotte Bankes
In Episode 68, Iain was joined by Jasmin Taylor, Team GB telemark skier, and friend of the show Alex Irwin.
We chat about Courchevel, avalanches and foldable skis, plus Iain speaks to newly crowned world snowboard cross champion Charlotte Bankes.
We have a report by Charlie Rees from the Jungfrau region in Switzerland and we also find out about how Dan Egan skied off the Berlin Wall!
· Jasmin has over 30 World Cup podiums and you can listen to a more in depth interview in our podcast special (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://audioboom.com/posts/7694622-a-ski-podcast-special-jasmin-taylor-team-gb-telemark-skier&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1YeqKPGcHW7BAFP4slamkZ) recorded last year
· Alex is based in Courchevel and runs the YouTube channel 150 Days of Winter
· The lifts were meant to start to turning in Italy on 15 February, but this has now been delayed
· Since our last episode we’ve seen avalanches in Zermatt, Méribel and Val d'Isère (https://www.chaletline.co.uk/blog/2021/02/avalanche-danger-in-the-alps/)
· These dogs barking (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1355996152215318530&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw2ugtuSgT66gt4rcoyibNFs) saved their owners who’d been buried in an avalanche
· We've reported before on how the press mispresented the situation in Verbier in Episode 65 (https://audioboom.com/posts/7761738-65-the-great-escape-from-verbier-skiing-in-wales-cross-country-crans-montana) and also in Wengen (in Episode 66 (https://audioboom.com/posts/7775263-66-mega-snow-in-st-anton-verbier-truth-jasmin-taylor-graham-bell) )
· There has been some great reporting by Abi Butcher (who appeared in Episode 65), with a deep dive into the 'super spreader' story about British instructors in Jochburg, Austria (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/true-story-british-skiers-quarantined-indefinitely-austria/&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw03CMKkY2fplJNMIQQ8hvHs)
· The tourist office in St Anton (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1356196150961967105&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw2iqzAV84LbbFeuTuurgCkN) also confirmed that reports of 96 people arrested and fined was also incorrect
· Mike Richards told us about skiing in Wales (https://audioboom.com/posts/7761738-65-the-great-escape-from-verbier-skiing-in-wales-cross-country-crans-montana) in Episode 65
· Neil Bradshaw reported from Sun Valley ski resort in Idaho (https://www.sunvalley.com/)
· There are pistes open in Courchevel (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1358707872851501056&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1xXK5h3oLW_5oelpwFRj5k)
· Meanwhile Meribel stopped running their buses (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://twitter.com/La_Tania/status/1359637115349434368&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0gXTNBUTXIzAGu5OxewAoF) due to the number of people using them to ski
· Jasmin has been training and racing in Plaine-Joux (https://www.passy-mont-blanc.com/en/discover-2/station-passy-plaine-joux/) in France
· Charlotte Bankes won the Snowboard Cross World Champs (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://twitter.com/TeamGB/status/1359906551620923411&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1W_VSabQ88DHySeJMhsnOR) last week
· We interviewed Charlotte in Episode 25 (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://audioboom.com/posts/7284204-25-st-anton-charlotte-bankes-billy-morgan-s-favourite-resort&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw2vZOlLuCVKqljh294s8J5t) about her switch from the French team
· Dave Ryding will be racing in the slalom at Cortina 2021 (https://www.cortina2021.com/en/) on 21 February
· We fea
A Ski Podcast Special: Dan Egan, Extreme Skiing Pioneer
This Ski Podcast Special features Dan Egan - one of the extreme skiing pioneers back in the new world of the 80s when VHS revolutionised demand for ski footage.
Apart from leading the MTV generation of skiers, he's a familiar name to anyone who's watched a Warren Miller movie, or visited the Vermont stand at the London Ski Show over the years.
Dan was part of the original freeride scene, back when it was better known as 'extreme' skiing. We talked to him about his carerre and new book, Thirty Years in a White Haze, his story of worldwide adventure and the evolution of extreme skiing.
Dan is based in Big Sky, Montana
Check out Big C couloir
Mt Elbrus is the highest mountain in Europe
Dan was on a Degre 7 shoot
Dan featured in 12 Warren Miller movies (https://www.warrenmiller.co.uk/)
Future Retro is available digitally
Mark Shapiro, John Faulkner were part of the Verbier posse
John Egan first starred for Warren Miller in 1979, with Dan joining in 1985
Both John and Dan started off in Sugarbush (https://www.sugarbush.com/)
"If everybody skied, there'd be no wars" Hannes Schneider
Dan skied on the Berlin Wall
"Say yes, before you say no!" Warren Miller
Dan's steep ski courses are in Big Sky
"Skiing from the head down, not the feet up" Dan Egan
'Thirty Years in a White Haze (https://www.white-haze.com/) ' is out on 20 Feb
The book features Nick Lyon's cartoons (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.nicklyons.com/ski%2520cartoons/ski-cartoons.html&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3lXKPbXKkqnqpBfaxAz_2o)
67: Behind the Scenes at 'Ski Sunday' with Chemmy Alcott, Inside The Snow Centre & James Blunt Tour Secrets
In Episode 67, we go behind the scenes at 'Ski Sunday', on tour with James Blunt, inside The Snow Centre, discover craft beer in the Alps and reveal the results from our survey.
Iain's guests for this episode where BBC Ski Sunday presenter Chemmy Alcott and Ian Brown, Managing Director at The Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead.
We would like to thank our sponsors Switzerland Tourism (https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch) for their continued support for the podcast.
Chemmy was skiing chest-deep powder in Laax (https://www.flimslaax.com/en)
The group denied boarding at Eurostar was on their way to Verbier to do a training course with Peak Leaders (https://www.peakleaders.com/2021/01/covid-cases/)
They started the time in Europe in Vallorcine where some of the group tested positive (https://www.ledauphine.com/sante/2021/01/21/covid-19-au-moins-14-britanniques-positifs-dans-une-residence-de-tourisme)
Graham Bell is in Dancing on Ice 2021 (https://audioboom.com/posts/7770264-a-ski-podcast-special-graham-bell-dancing-on-ice)
Chemmy took part in the Inferno in Murren in 2020 (https://www.inferno-muerren.ch/en)
Laax uses an app system to control Covid and numbers in resort
Iain travelled to Crans Montana (https://audioboom.com/posts/7761738-65-the-great-escape-from-verbier-skiing-in-wales-cross-country-crans-montana) in December
Chemmy has tried cooking for Ed (https://twitter.com/ChemmySki/status/1350867631604178949) !
Dougie and Chemmy are coaching Giselle Gorringe (https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/athlete-biography.html?sector=AL&fiscode=225798)
Graham would probably have been very hot in his outfit
Betony Garner appeared in Episode 65 when we discussed cross country skiing (https://audioboom.com/posts/7761738-65-the-great-escape-from-verbier-skiing-in-wales-cross-country-crans-montana)
Her report was recorded in Les Contamines (https://www.lescontamines.com/)
Charlie Rees took the Mammut backcountry course in Andermatt
The avalanche danger is very high in Switzerland (https://twitter.com/M_Horn_Chalets/status/1355089818242453507)
We've previously discussed skiing in Wales (https://audioboom.com/posts/7761738-65-the-great-escape-from-verbier-skiing-in-wales-cross-country-crans-montana) and in Scotland (https://audioboom.com/posts/7725836-62-scotland-touring-in-chamonix-world-cup-latest-andermatt-tignes)
Ian is MD at the The Snow Centre (https://www.thesnowcentre.com/) in Hemel Hempstead
Sadly, the Swindon project (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18905531.no-work-270m-snow-centre-north-star-two-years-green-light/&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0WVHzpkS0EO8-Mv5fD3LCc) will not be going ahead
You can listen to the full (https://audioboom.com/posts/7781565-a-ski-podcast-special-peter-hardy-ski-journalist) interview with Peter Hardy (https://audioboom.com/posts/7781565-a-ski-podcast-special-peter-hardy-ski-journalist) here
Listen to our podcast special about Erna Low here (https://audioboom.com/posts/7608047-a-ski-podcast-special-the-life-of-ski-pioneer-erna-low)
Peter is the author of ‘Different Country, Same State’ (https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/9661134-different-country-same-state) – the inside story of being on tour with James Blunt
You can watch Peter’s video of skiing with Graham Bell on old kit here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BL-m1wIgK0)
Find out about the Sapaudia brewery here (http://sapaudiabrewing.co/)
Jan Farrell has retired (https://www.inthesnow.com/speed-skier-jan-farrell-announces-retirement/#:~:text=Patrick%20Thorne-,26%20Jan%2021,ten%20years%20in%20the%20sport.) from his career as a speed skier
"Just to say I love the Podcast not being able to ski at the mo is made
easier by your interviews and discussion thanks!"
"With not much chance of getting on the slopes, the Ski P
Customer ReviewsSee All
Entertaining Insight to European Skiing
A great show filled with information about far flung skiing locations like Japan, Georgia, the Pyranees and the Alps. I would love to hear about skiing in Scandinavia, New Zeland and South America, if you get the chance!
I think you've got just the right focus for your podcast, and I don't think you should add gear reviews. In my opinion gear preference is too specific to individual size, skill level and favored terrain for a general podcast audience to get much out of a review.
Great show but more kit reviews?
Hi guys. Love the show but it would be great to hear some gear reviews. I would love to hear a review on avalanche airbags including battery/fan v canister. Thanks and keep up the good work. Scott (Dubai).
Powder to the People
Wonderful podcast. Humorous and informative at the same time, even for skiers like me who live across the pond!
Love it. I eagerly await the next episode.