A podcast that delves into the obstacles and successes involved in creating, running, and sustaining successful software side projects.
S7E12 - Awww, That's Cute
First, we are thankful for all the soilders out there in Standupland™. Keith and Jamie get this epi started with some Turkey Talk™ and then we get down to biznizz....if you're still listening.
Jamie starts off with the work he did with Tatsu. Jamie worked on the modal that allows a user to manage their questions, which got a bit complicated.
Keith chimes in with how the "Shopify Thanksgiving" code freeze went, as well as how his session on Hotwire went at the internal Ruby Guild™. Keith ends the conversation with some mentoring he is doing with interns at Shopify.
* Rocket League [https://www.rocketleague.com/]
* Tatsu [https://next.tatsu.io/]
* Linear [https://linear.app/]
* Hotwire [https://hotwired.dev/]
* Hey Taco [https://heytaco.com/]
* CN Tower [https://www.cntower.ca/] (for Keith)
* Shopify esports team [https://shopifyrebellion.gg/]
* Shopify RLCS Comeback [https://youtu.be/Yp1azwV-2Q0?t=1808]
S7E11 - Mini-monoliths
Keith talks normally and Jamie yells into the microphone. Jamie yells about his experience putting on a workshop during the last few weeks and then gets into the meat of his work on Tatsu.
Keith talked about organizing an internal speaking series he is developing inside Shopify. This is leading him to research Hotwire and rewriting some of Shopify functionality using Hotwire and Stimulus.
We then leave you with some exciting chat about...EXCEPTIONS!
* TechBash [https://techbash.com/?gad=netdevelopment&url=https://techbash.com/]
* CodeMash [https://www.codemash.org/]
* THAT Conference [https://that.us/]
* Tatsu Release this week [https://next.tatsu.io/changelog/fasterstandupsetup]
* ChEEx repository [https://github.com/juvet/cheex]
* The reason I spent $14 during recording [https://standupsoldiers.com/]
* Jamie's ElixirConf talk [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRLeAggi6o]
* Shopify / Remix announcement [https://remix.run/blog/remixing-shopify]
S7E10 - There's Always a Bigger Number
* Keith is no longer a programmer (jk not programming as much as her used to though).
* More talk about writing tasks for junior devs. Basically the same conversation as last time.
* How Keith breaks down projects. Start with the end in mind and go backwards.
* Keith wishes for that we didn't use Packwerk (github.com/shopify/packwerk [http://github.com/shopify/packwerk]) within the app he works on.
* Jamie talks about using Juvet in Tatsu and some issues with type checking.
* Juvet templates are becoming a sticking point and the next focus for that project.
* Jamie is loving his work on Tatsu (and not so much his client work).
* Cedar Point is dope during "Halloweekends", but the fast pass arms race is real.
S7E9 - The one without a Title
Jamie and Keith talk for a bit.
S7E8 - Remove the monkey patches
The K + J sandwich is back (gross). Keith starts this week off by discussing his panel he hosted at the internal Shopify conference and how he almost pooped his pants.
Keith talks about some of the other internal talks, including the future of Rails!
Jamie and Keith then discuss why Shopify invests so much energy and resources in Ruby and Rails. It's interesting. What else are you going to do? Watch dance videos on TikTok?
Oh. And Jamie launches something? (Psst...https://next.tatsu.io).
Jamie and Keith end it with a discussion about ElixirConf. Jam-packed baby!
S7E7 - Don't Discuss the Finger Nail
Jamie and Keith are back to talk about Jamie's conference speaking adventures, CoderJourney's demise, and a Shopify conference panel.
* Doritos Beer [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSRShnbiHYo]
* Turo [https://turo.com/]