Rigorously, playfully, interrogating ideas with guest artists who work through dance, choreography, composition, performance, music and more!
Est. 2013. Please hit the subscribe button below!
"I have a problem with ...we need everything so instantly, that we're willing to compromise things that are so sacred."Emily Flannery
Emily Flannery is a proud Wiradjuri woman from Forbes in the Central West of NSW. As an emerging Indigenous dancer and choreographer Emily hopes to share her culture and her spirit through movement. We also cover;
* her upcoming Sydney Opera House show - Bulnuruwanha which explores the Wiradjuri Dreaming stories of the Magpie, Willy-WagTail, Kookaburra, Cockatoo and Platypus through contemporary Indigenous dance.* Lost All Sorts collective* Working with siblings* Tokenism* Forbes* Expectations of what indigenous should look like* Everything happening all at once* Lucy Guerin Inc internship* Training under the Craig Bary* taking feedback from industry experts who are not cultural knowledge holders* wanting to make ensemble work* good intentions without self-education* Aboriginal culture is still alive* "You can't support BLM and then blow up our sacred sites" - Emily Flannery
* march dance - https://www.marchdance.com/emily-flannery* dirty feet - https://www.dirtyfeet.com.au/emily-flannery* dance informer - https://dancemagazine.com.au/2021/05/bangarra-appoints-new-company-dancer-emily-flannery/* Bangarra - * NAISDA - https://naisda.com.au/2020/12/17/naisda-graduate-emily-flannery-selected-as-lgis-first-nations-intern-for-2021/* PACT - http://www.pact.net.au/lost-all-sorts-collective#:~:text=Lost%20All%20Sorts%20is%20a,virtues%20as%20artists%20and%20friends.* facebook - https://www.facebook.com/emily.flannery.54* Forbes Advocate - https://www.forbesadvocate.com.au/story/7227346/years-of-work-pay-off-with-busy-year-of-dance-ahead-for-emily/* Coast Community News - https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/central-coast/news/2021/01/internship-for-naisda-graduate/* NORPA - https://norpa.org.au/indigenous-makers-studio/* Daniel Riley as new Artistic Director of ADT - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-06/first-indigenous-artistic-director-appointed-to-dance-company/100194208*
"This is a massive interrogation of concept."Elle Evangelista
Elle Evangelista loves dancing. She is Filipino & Burmese, was raised on Whadjuk/Perth and currently lives on Gadigal/Sydney. Elle has a Bachelor of Arts in English from UWA and a Bachelor of Arts in Dance from WAAPA. In response to the Black Lives Matter movement she enrolled in a post graduate Law course to obtain a Juris Doctor.
* Thirty30 - https://elleevangelista.com/about30thirty* Thirty31 - Set to premier in October 2021* Come Knit The Sun Down - https://supercelldancefestival.com/elle-evangelista* The GIF of Dance - http://choreography.mattcornell.com/projects/the-gif-of-dance/* Covid#19 Lockdowns/show cancellation* making attempts* "Trying again isn't starting again" - Matt Cornell* Bring brave enough to deeply invest in someone/something* Things you want to learn about* Failing as integral* Bringing snacks to share (to every rehearsal)* Expectations* "I always expect people are going to be as invested as I am" - Elle Evangelista
* March Dance - https://www.marchdance.com/elle-evangelista* insatiable - song matt mentions * instagram - https://www.instagram.com/elleevangelista* Belvoir Street Theatre choreographic commission - https://belvoir.com.au/elle-evangelista/* DirtyFeet - https://www.dirtyfeet.com.au/elle-evangelista* Writing for Dance Informer - https://dancemagazine.com.au/tag/elle-evangelista/* DAIR residency - https://www.facebook.com/ausdancensw/photos/a.1593516414266451/2545730512378365/* The King and I - the musical - https://aussietheatre.com.au/features/20-questions/getting-know-elle-evangalista* Thirty30 - https://au.royalacademyofdance.org/independent-artist-elle-evangelista-takes-up-residence-in-our-darlinghurst-studio/* Sydney Arts Guide - https://www.sydneyartsguide.com.au/tag/elle-evangelista/* Dance Life - https://www.dancelife.com.au/tag/elle-evangelista/
"I don't know if I want a 'main' focus."Feras Shaheen
Feras Shaheen is a Sydney based dancer/performer and choreographer. we discuss;
* making a show with your mum - https://ferasshaheen.com.au/19772986* Dabke* street dancing* working freelance* transparency when it comes to institutional agenda * Klapping - https://ferasshaheen.com.au/Klapping* humour* initiation* church* getting into installation* foundations* Palestinian heritage* Nick Power* how to say yes* getting burnt out* the problem with expectations of being "professional"* arabic poetry
* March Dance - https://www.marchdance.com/plastic-bag* Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/fezshaheen* Legs On The Wall - https://www.legsonthewall.com.au/news/2020/6/29/one-on-one-feras-shaheen* Dirtyfeet - https://www.dirtyfeet.com.au/feras-shaheen* Vimeo - https://vimeo.com/ferasshaheen* Dance Bants - https://anchor.fm/dancebants* Campbelltown Arts Centre - https://c-a-c.com.au/dance-workshops-with-feras-shaheen/* Formidable episode 4 - https://www.form.org.au/formidables-episode-4/* the flying nun - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=819443401880064* Dance Bants interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGId8SAA93c&ab_channel=DanceBants* 1on1 interview with Legs On The Wall - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=271642193900031* linkedin - https://www.linkedin.com/in/ferasshaheen/?originalSubdomain=au* facebook - https://www.facebook.com/feras.shaheen.7
"to find a shared language that doesn't rest on a shared technique or visual reference but is produced together with someone, with people, with yourself, and your environment."Alice Weber
Alice Weber is a dance artist working with choreography, performance and discursive outputs. Using and misusing her various training backgrounds across ballet, somatic practice and critical dance studies, Alice’s work considers contemporary embodiments and intimacies, through questions of agency and desire. We talk about:
* "problematize through exaggeration" - Alice Weber* beauty capital* having baggage* work - dream cellscapes * intimacy across distance* desire* clarity* entanglement of how things look and feel* work - solo for a body* aesthetic and kinesthetic* somatic vs touch* inspiration* marxist critique of capitalism* moving slowly
* website - http://aliceweber.net/* instagram - https://www.instagram.com/alicemaeweber/* march dance - https://www.marchdance.com/alice-weber* inner west - https://www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/live/living-arts/local-creatives/alice-weber
"to reconcile the disjointedness we feel as people that are within asia but are not asian"Reina Takeuchi
Reina Takeuchi is an Australian-Japanese artist-researcher interested in interdisciplinary collaboration and facilitating embodied experiences of contemporary art, we cover:
* legacy* art in institutions* not being a "curator" or "choreographer"* embarking on a phD* being in a triad* presenting at MCA - Holding Lightness - Music by: thomas.gray.and.liam.ebbs* identity in art making* work - Between Oceans
* 4A Gallery - https://www.instagram.com/4a_aus/* Website - https://www.reinatakeuchi.com/* https://www.instagram.com/reina.brigette/* on earth we're briefly gorgeous - book* https://www.instagram.com/leyla_stevens/* https://www.the-national.com.au/artists/leyla-stevens/patiwangi-the-death-of-fragrance/
Trà Mi Dinh
"choosing what can help"Tra Mi Dinh
Trà Mi is a Green Room Award nominated dance artist based between Melbourne and Sydney. In June 2019 Trà Mi began working on a solo project ‘Holding’, initially supported by Tasdance’s TRIP program, we cover:
* dancing* improvisation* legacy and cultural inheritance* points* becoming 'a boss'* incense* being vietnamese* connection to culture* irish dancing* upcoming development - Holding* the aesthetics of overwhelm* decision making on stage* seeking sense through sensation* dancing is so human
* Zachery Lopez* Victoria Chiu* Melanie Lane* Branch Nebula - Lee Wilson* Fully Automated Human Touch* Pina Bausch* Miranda Wheen* Joshua Thomson - Blokes Project
* Vimeo* TasDance residency* Instagram* Sydney Fringe
Arts Talk at its best
Matt Cornell achieves something rare in the arts world -- real conversations with professional artists that demystifies the creative process, opening it up to a broader audience. Great Australian podcast that focuses on real-world intersections of arts, politics and arts funding issues around the world. Essential.
Curious and Inviting
Hearing about other artist's process inspires my craft in a number of ways. Wombat Radio explores multiple facets of a creative that introduces someone who was once a stranger into a professional whose work I would later refer to. I would recommend to any of my friends!