2 Private Cannabis Investors share thoughts, analysis and opinions on the ups and downs of the rapidly changing Cannabis Investing landscape. For Investors By Investors
#97 - What Happened at Canopy Growth? (ft. Chris Murray)
We are joined by a special guest, Chris Murray. Chris is a veteran in the cannabis sector. He was employee number 7 at Canopy Growth, which was the first Canadian LP to go public on the TSX and NASDAQ and was dubbed the first unicorn in the cannabis sector. Canopy played a pivotal role in shaping today's cannabis sector and today we are joined by Chris who had first hand experience in catching the monumental growth riding the unicorn wave.
In this episode we gain insights on what happened at Canopy. We take a deeper dive into the importance of company culture and how strategic decisions affect it. We look at the differences in strategies between a medical focused company vs an adult use cannabis company and why it's important to differentiate between the two types of customers. As M&A continues to accelerate in the sector, in this episode you'll learn how to view M&A opportunities through a unique qualitative lense.
Companies mentioned: Canopy, Aphria, Aurora, HEXO & Trulieve.
#96 - Being Landlord to Florida's Dispensaries (ft. Real Estate Randy)
In this episode we dive deep into the state of the cannabis retail market in Florida. Florida has long been one of our favourite markets. Today's guest was on the forefront of the Florida market from a different side of the table. As a real estate developer focused on Florida retail, cannabis operators came onto Randy's radar. He helped these companies rapidly grow their retail footprint over the last few years by being able to source appropriately zoned properties and deal with the variety of issues that complicate the life of dispensaries. But Randy soon realized the payoff for accomplishing these deals could be enormous.
In this episode:
- How Randy stumbled into the industry
- The early days of Florida's medical market
- Doing GTI Florida's first deal
- What the heydey of opening dispensaries was like
- His thoughts on who's doing it well and how good Trulieve really is
- The secrets to success at this stage of the industry
Thanks to Randy for joining for a very fun and informative chat!
Audio Note: There was an echo in this episode we mostly fixed. However the audio may at times be a little odd. Thanks for understanding
#95 - Patience Will be Rewarded for Cannabis Investors (ft. Alan Brochstein of 420investor)
In this episode we are joined by the leading cannabis analyst Alan Brochstein. Alan is known for being the sheriff of the wild west of cannabis and applying his deep analytical insights in the cannabis industry.
He is founder of New Cannabis Ventures and shares his insights as "the maven" of 420investor. Alan regularly helps us form our opinions on the cannabis space and helps investors make better investment decisions.
He joins us today in a broad ranging discussion about investor psychology, cannabis fundamentals, company specific discussions and much more. Thanks to Alan for joining us as always.
Twitter - https://twitter.com/Invest420
420investor - https://marketfy.com/product/420investor/
#94 - Post Boris Debrief & Trulieve > Harvest Commentary
In this episode we unpack last week's interview with Boris Jordan and review in-depth some of the interesting points he raised.
We also do a deeper dive into the Trulieve - Harvest merger and share our thoughts on why it's a true value play and what Kim may be hoping to achieve post-integration.
#93 - The Importance of Being The Biggest (ft. Boris Jordan, Chairman of Curaleaf Holdings)
In this jam-packed episode Boris Jordan joins us in an extremely candid conversation about Curaleaf Holdings. Boris is founder and Executive Chairman of Curaleaf Holdings and is one of the industry's most recognized faces. He is also a prolific cannabis investor having invested over $400M of hard cash into Curaleaf and more into other private cannabis opportunities.
In this wide ranging discussion Boris shares stories and discussions on many topics including:
- The First Inning of Curaleaf: how it all started and where we are now
- Compliance & Custodying: how the recent compliance forced institutional selling is a repeat of 2019
- Guidance: What is driving the massive Q2 growth Curaleaf is projecting?
- Interstate Commerce: why Boris thinks it is inevitable and how they are planning for it
- Driving Down Costs: Technology that could cut manufacturing cost by 90%
- Being National: Why it's important to be in highly competitive markets like California and Oregon
- Wide & Deep: How the recent Trulieve & Harvest merger validates Curaleaf's early thesis
- Florida: what mistakes were made, how they were fixed and the future
- Cost of Capital: refinancing Curaleaf debt in 2022 at 7-8% without warrants
- Private Investing: How Boris fills the "venture investing" role for Curaleaf
- Being the Biggest: Why it matters
- Margins & Growth: How Curaleaf compares to its competition
- M&A: The importance of Select & Grassroots
- Mistakes: Learning from past issues
Thank you to Boris Jordan for joining us for this episode!
#92 - Cannabis Investors Shifting from Headlines to Fundamentals (ft. Pat Smith)
We are joined with a friend of the podcast, Pat Smith, former sell side analyst on Bay St.
In this episode we cover a broad range of topics including how investors are switching from simply reading headlines to analyzing fundamentals and why cannabis continues to be a value play.
We discuss how the broader markets are impacting our sector, as well touch on how crypto, gold, bond yields and the vaccine roll out could affect cannabis.
Best cannabis investing podcast by far.
Very informative podcast about investing in the cannabis industry. My only critique would be to raise the audio levels on the recording, it’s too low.
A must for any weed investors
Great resource for investors to learn about weed investing, both US and Canadian