Investments Unplugged, an insightful and lively podcast with your host Philip Petursson, Chief Investment Strategist, at Manulife Investment Management. (Intended for Advisor Use Only)
Episode 54 — Only two things in life are certain ...
The 2021 Canadian federal government budget — it’s finally here. But what’s in it? John Natale, Head of Tax, Retirement, and Estate Planning Services at Manulife Investment Management, joins host Philip Petursson to share his thoughts about economic impacts of the 2021 federal budget:
• revenue generation through the “wealth consumption” tax
• affordable chid care effects on the labour force
• whether tax rates may increase
• how the government may pay for the projected deficit
… and other related topics.
And what can you do to minimize your tax burden? Let’s listen in.
Episode 53 — Where do we go from here?
The economy continues to reopen, more people are receiving COVID-19 vaccinations, and the day when the pandemic is no longer a significant part of our lives draws closer. In light of this, the Capital Markets Strategy team discusses their economic outlook at the end of the first quarter of 2021:
• Could massive pent-up demand and low inventories affect the economic rebound?
• How does monetary and fiscal stimulus factor into the markets?
• Equities or fixed income — which is currently the biggest challenge when building a portfolio?
• Is inflation always a bad thing?
• What stage of economic recovery are we in?
Hear the answers to these questions … and learn about revenge spending and envy spending.
Episode 52 — The (inflationary) elephant in the room
Inflation rates — should we be paying attention to them now? And what do they have to do with long-term bond yields? The Capital Markets Strategy team weighs in on several subjects related to inflation and fixed-income investments:
• Will inflation increase in 2021?
• What do bond yields tell us about the economy?
• Where do unemployment, wage pressure, and fiscal stimulus fit into this scenario?
• How could investors react to a low-yield environment that’s moving higher?
… and they banter about beer and bitcoin too!
Episode 51 — That's a great idea ... but is it investable?
What happens when a dividend growth strategy is applied to exchange-traded funds (ETFs)? In this episode of Investments Unplugged, Brett Hryb, Head of Beta Management at Manulife Investment Management, joins host Philip Petursson to talk about this and related topics, including:
• portfolio building and management
• dividend payout ratios
• blending active and passive investment strategies
• what equity investors should consider.
Episode 50 — Corrections are 100% predictable ... in hindsight
Market corrections happen often. But exactly when they’ll occur, no one can say with any certainty. “Trying to pinpoint why is a fool’s game,” says Philip Petursson. Listen in as Philip and the Capital Markets Strategy team discuss several topics related to market corrections:
• What are corrections and why do they happen?
• What’s a bear market and how’s it different from a correction?
• How can you tell a big bear from a baby bear market?
• Why do sell-offs offer investment opportunities?
Episode 49 — Is fixed income still yielding opportunities?
What about bonds? Roshan Thiru and Sivan Nair, from the Canadian Fixed Income team at Manulife Investment Management, talk with host Philp Petursson in this episode of Investments Unplugged. They discuss challenges, opportunities, and the outlook for fixed-income investments:
• the flexibility of investing in different kinds of bonds
• disciplined approaches to strategic and tactical asset allocation
• credit markets’ impact on bond yields
• the effect of the Biden administration’s fiscal policy
… and much more.
Kevin put me onto this podcast and as an advisor, it’s such helpful content to support client conversations. Thumbs way up. 🙂
Love this podcast and very insightful and believe it or not but u may catch yourself laughing as Phillip and his guests are always interactive with listeners .. you feel engaged when listening. Highly recommend
I am enjoying your podcast and appreciate the timely information.
Wish Manulife well during these very interesting times..