Two aspiring entrepreneurs discuss business ideas and practical personal development tips. Show hosts: Spencer Harro (Baltimore, MD), a recent electrical engineering grad. Jeriah Miller (Libby, MT), a self-taught entrepreneur and filmmaker.
Reinventing Jobs: Applying Automation in the Workplace (Ravin Jesuthasan)
Reinventing Jobs: A 4-Step Approach for Applying Automation to Work
- The intent of automation should not be eliminating jobs, but achieving the optimum synergy of humans and automation.
- Return on Invested Performance is a critical metric for getting the best bang for your buck when choosing systems to automate
- Repetitiveness, human interaction, and cognitive load impact if automation is worthwhile
Sprint (Jake Knapp)
Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days (Jake Knapp, John Zeratsky, Braden Kowitz)
- Sprints help you fast forward to the future and see customers react sooner
- The longer you wait, it becomes increasingly harder to change products
- Your product is never “ready” - but a sprint-mindset helps you make time-based releases (instead of feature-based).
Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products (Nir Eyal)
- To get into the habit zone, your product needs to be used frequently and provide great utility
- The time or money investment users make in services greatly impacts how hooked they are
- Changing someone’s motivation is challenging - scarcity and a sense of progress make a big difference
The Proximity Principle (Ken Coleman)
The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy that Will Lead to the Career You Love (Ken Coleman)
- Being intentional about who you surround yourself with is the key to a fulfilling future
- Every career stepping stone matters. It could become a long-term career cornerstone
- You don’t summit Mt. Everest all at once - success is a step-by-step process
Let us know what books you want to hear next on the survey at MotivationMinute.com!
Gorilla Mindset (Mike Cernovich)
Gorilla Mindset: How to Dominate and Unleash the Animal Inside You (Mike Cernovich)
- To get more out of life, you must get more out of yourself.
- He who controls how something is framed controls the debate.
- Quick mental checklists can be powerful tools for focusing your attention
Keep the great book ideas coming to the survey at MotivationMinute.com
The Simplicity Cycle (with Andrew Smith)
The Simplicity Cycle: The Field Guide to Making Things Better Without Making Them Worse (Dan Ward)
- We tend to be drawn towards complexity, when deep down we yearn for simplicity
- Simplicity is a combination of complexity (features) and “goodness” (functionality)
- True productivity is maximizing the value of existing features
Andrew Smith: Founder of ProRustics Home & Furnishings
Instagram - @ProRustics
Listening to you guys talk about all these different financial and mindset topics helps keep me on track and motivated. Keep it up!
Succinct and insightful
Motivation Minute podcast gives clear direct information on the best books for insight, motivation and growth. It’s curated and assisted by input from the listeners as well as the podcast creators. It’s a great investment to hear a succinct personally relevant summary of contents by real people, not a promotional or marketing script, as well as a discussion of the key insights available in the book, from people who appreciate saving my time and focus.
This is such a good way to learn about all the books you’ve ever wanted to read! While I’d like to read all of the books from cover to cover, it’s difficult to find the time. These two hosts do a great job or breaking down the book so you don’t have to read the whole thing. I’d definitely encourage others to listen!