Luka Hocevar is the owner of the nationally renowned Vigor Ground Fitness and Performance gym in Seattle and founding father of Vigor Move & Live in Slovenia, featured in Men's Health, Stack Magazine, Onnit Magazine, Entrepreneur Magazine, and on CBS.
As a leading fitness and personal development coach this Vigor Life podcast is an extension of what Luka coaches every day and will provide tips, stories, motivation and inspiration to help you forge daily habits for a better body—through fitness, nutrition and mindset—build better relationships, create purpose in your career/business, increase productivity, be happier, and succeed (success comes from succession as in the "next step" - constant growth and expansion in your life).
The Vigor Life podcast will help you piece together the puzzle pieces to your own extraordinary life.
EP121: Strength and Reinvention No Matter The CircumstancesIn Life with Chris Duffin
Vigor Life Podcast · EP121: Strength and Reinvention No Matter The CircumstancesIn Life w/ Chris Duffin
I have been looking forward to talking with Chris Duffin for some time. His incredible story proves that what happens to you doesn’t have to define who you become.
Chris went from growing up homeless in the Pacific Northwest wilderness—raised in an abusive and chaotic household where his childhood was composed of skinning rattlesnakes, foraging for food, and protecting his sisters and mother (many times dealing with murderers, drug running and abuse, human trafficking, death, a serial killer, and extreme poverty—to multiple engineering degrees. From there he worked his way up the ladder to become a corporate executive in aerospace, turning companies around, starting and building multiple 7 figure companies in the fitness space (including Kabuki Strength), while also building up to 1001 lb x 3 sumo deadlift and 1000 lb x 3 squat (which are both Guinness Book World Records). It sounds fascinating and incredible, and that's only part of his story.
Chris and I talk about the principles to be able to achieve anything in life—which he outlines in his book, “The Eagle And The Dragon”—as well as his beliefs about how to become a great leader, his journey of strength training and becoming one of the worlds strongest men – all while building up Kabuki Strength.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
* Why you don’t have to have a crazy backstory to have the drive to success and achieve incredible feats.
* Chris’ upbringing in the woods of Northern California, living homeless, in the drug trade, hunting his own food, around serial killers, human trafficking rings, and how he was able to rise above it.
* How Chris got promoted to leadership positions where people respected him despite not being a “rah rah” motivational guy.
* What was the difference that made Chris excel rather than go down a negative path, despite his extremely challenging circumstances.
* Why we MUST find challenge, stress and adversity rather than the comfort that we’re drawn to (the difference in succeeding or failing).
* The mindsets and introspection to help you overcome ANY challenge and turn it into a lesson that helps you get to the next level.
* The TWO things that you must have to drive your energy day in and day out.
* What are you drivers, what are your values, knowing who and how you want to be in the world, something you must keep coming back to – listen to Chris explain how this can work for you when it comes to overcoming adversity.
* The habits that have allowed Chris to continuously overcome obstacles and become a top performer in strength, leadership, work, and building businesses.
* What is the 5S method and how to apply it to your day and cut out all the unproductive things that aren’t essential.
* The “5 Why’s”, storytelling, having a vision and constantly sharing it, and other principles you have to apply to succeed personally and as part of a team.
* Chris’ core values and why recognition is one of them and it’s not bad (like many people believe).
* The keys to being a great leader no matter who and where you lead.
* Why you don’t have to be super polished, CEO cut,
EP120: How To Build Mental Resilience & The Best Way To Train To Build Muscle and Strength In The Long Term w/ Jay Ferruggia
Vigor Life Podcast · EP120: The Best Way To Train To Build Muscle and Strength In The Long Term w/ Jay Ferruggia
One of my best friends, world renowned strength coach, and fitness industry thought leader, Jay Ferruggia is back on the show. Even though we were in lockdown when this episode was recorded, we pick up right where the industry left off.
In this episode we talk about overcoming adversity, building resilience, taking control of your mind, as well as diving deep into how to build strength and muscle while maintaining healthy joints in the long term. Jay drops his nuggets of wisdom from almost 30 years in coaching to share what works for almost anyone when it comes to picking training splits, exercises, rep ranges and more.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
* Why Jay “missed” our initial scheduled podcast recording.
* 3 big life takeaways Jay has throughout the lockdown that we should all remember on the daily to make our life more fulfilled and less stressful.
* The key habits, mindsets and skillsets that helped Jay and will continue to help people persevere through ANY challenging time.
* The foundational habits that lead to a positive domino effect and make your days successful (things Jay and I do, The Rock does, Gary Vee does, ALL high performers do)
* Why you MUST be aware and analyze what enters your ears, your eyes, and your mind on a daily basis, as it will affect how you operate on a daily basis.
* Why being “bummed out” doesn’t help anyone, and how you can free yourself from that feeling.
* Teach anything you’ve done, hire others for things you want to achieve that they’ve done. Invest in yourself, put skin in the game, and hire someone you desperately don’t want to let down.
* Why “association” is one of the biggest influencers and how to put yourself into circles that will make you successful.
* 3 Industries and 4 High Income Skills that will ALWAYS stick around and where you must continue to improve your skills on the daily.
* Jay has been writing since 2003 and he’s still getting better every day, he shares why you must continue to get better at communicating, selling and leadership.
* When it comes to training, the most important thing is: personal preference. We dive into what you should be doing for your training.
* Jay loves Conjugate Training. We discuss what he recommends instead for most people when it comes to building strength and muscle.
* The breakdown of how Jay would structure a training session to get maximum benefit, both from a results, joint health, and feel good standpoint.
* One of the templates I use for my strength training sessions that you can “steal” and use for yourself.
* A misconception on changing exercises every 3-4 weeks, if clients keep improving then keep them longer (listen to the examples).
* Why you can PR on machines a lot longer than you can on free weights and how they are extremely useful (who should use them and when).
* Strategies and tactics to add muscle building methods that work when you don’t have a lot of equipment or machines.
* Some methods may not work as well BUT are keys in building mental resilience, as well as making the session more fun, and it’s why they fit into the workouts.
* One of the most brutally effective ways to train long term that many people av...
EP119: A Masterclass on Building a Profitable & Sustainable Online Coaching Business w/ Jon Goodman
Vigor Life Podcast · EP119: A Masterclass On Building A Profitable & Sustainable Online Coaching Business w/ Jon Goodman
Jonathan Goodman is the creator of the Personal Trainer Development Center. Since 2011, he has supported fitness professionals by publishing over a million words, growing some of the largest online communities, publishing several books and establishing the first-ever certification for online trainers, the Online Trainer Academy. He's been featured in most major business and fitness publications including Men's Health, Forbes, Entrepreneur, Muscle & Fitness and Inc. – to name a few. Originally from Toronto, Canada, Jon spends his winters exploring the World with his wife and son.
Jon and I dive deep into the foundational principles of what it takes to build a successful business and then pivot to get specifically into building and online coaching brand that is profitable, sustainable and stands the test of time. If you’re a coach looking to build an online business (or ANY type of business in the fitness space) then this is a MUST listen to episode.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
* What’s going to happen with most coaches in the industry when it comes to the future of in person and online training.
* Everything works, from blogs, podcasts, Instagram, YouTube, etc. but here is what you MUST follow to succeed on any platform.
* Jon breaks down exactly what he would do if he started on a social platform to succeed and also make money.
* The reason why Jon never did podcasts but is now starting his own – and the most powerful reasons to do one.
* The process of building a specific skillset that will help you position yourself, generate leads, make sales and build a real business.
* Lessons about not launching too early with a sub-par product (a big mistake many people make).
* Why you don’t need to stress about missing out on new platforms that could “blow up.” We discuss what you really need to focus on.
* The reason you shouldn’t start with paid advertising and how to make your first sales and build “the machine.”
* The 5/1/60 Principle that will help you create a compelling offer to get your first clients.
* The exact steps to get your first 5 clients online—even if you don’t have a big social media following—and be able to get you started with online coaching.
* The truth about building an online coaching businesses fast and keeping it sustainable.
* Picking lower price point membership sites vs. high end coaching – what works and what you certainly shouldn’t do. Jon and I break it down in detail.
* The lessons from a friend and mentor who built one of the biggest niche programs and sold it for over a 100+ million to the Golf Channel.
* Why Jon has written 11 books and where the real value comes in from.
* What is possible for an online coach when it comes to serving clients and providing a great service (how many clients, price points, automation, hybrid models).
* Jon is building an online fitness company and breaks down exactly how they will do it step-by-step, from launch, hiring break down, organization, marketing… (steal this!)
* What Jon recommends to gym owners when it comes to growth and also adding online coaching possibiliti...
EP118: Writing Like A Pro To Influence & Build Your Business, Meditative Inquiry To Reduce Stress and Internal Family Systems Therapy w/ Nate Green
Vigor Life Podcast · EP118: Writing Like A Pro To Influence & Build Your Business w/ Nate Green
Nate Green is one of my closest friends and a great human being who also happens to be a fantastic writer. Nate is a marketing strategist and writer at Precision Nutrition. A former personal trainer and gym-owner, he’s also the author of four books, including Built for Show. He’s written extensively for online and print magazines, including Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, and Tim Ferriss’ blog. Nate is one of the people I reach out and talk to when I want to clear out ideas, thoughts, share life experience and talk them out as he always has deep, powerful insights.
In this episode we cover everything from how to write better and insights on how to influence through your writing, to meditative inquiry, the benefits of training with no music or stimulants.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
* Why Nate stays off social media, except for Twitter (it has something to do with a blue checkmark and ego).
* What Nate’s role at Precision Nutrition is now and what has he been learning and improving as a skillset.
* Writing, marketing, strategy, and copywriting – how Nate develops and mentors new staff to help them become quality writers.
* The 3 lessons that are a must for any writer if they want to create high quality content.
* “If you can write long you can write short, but if you write short then you don’t have the skillset to write long”
* The 3 high income skills that will forever be in need and a must for you to develop if you’re going to grow your business.
* When you can write well then you can do all these things better for your business. We discuss ALL of them.
* The most powerful two questions in copywriting that will help you improve your writing (this is gold!)
* How to hook people in emails, landing pages, or even texts with this simple strategy.
* Using social proof in your writing without looking cocky and confident (just the right amount of “salt”).
* Why you have to be careful about being a hero rather than Yoda when it comes to writing copy.
* How to be a “living landing page” and communicating in the best possible way to convert and influence clients (or anyone else).
* The reason it is your duty and obligation to become great at communication, the art of persuasion, and selling yourself.
* One of THE greatest skills and practices that will be key in making you succeed as a business owner (moving forward this is the game changer).
* The power of journaling not only for personal development but in helping you solve problems and thinking better – Nate’s examples of how he uses it.
* My “Thinking Time” process and how it helps me prevent mistakes, create strategy, and outlining vision - it’s rarely done by business owners.
* Nate explains “meditative inquiry” and how it helps him get clear, focused, and stress-free (with some powerful questions).
* Why you should NOT use music, pre-workout, podcasts or anything else to distract yourself during training, rather do THIS.
* How to train yourself to be able to be calm in discomfort that carries to all areas of your life.
* What is Internal Family Systems therapy and how it’s helped Nate change his life and how it can help you (how to embrace all parts of yo...
EP117: The Power of Communication and Why You MUST Get Better at It as a Coach and Human w/ Brett Bartholomew
Vigor Life Podcast · EP117: The Power of Communication and Why You MUST Get Better at It as a Coach w/ Brett Bartholomew
I finally got my good friend Brett Bartholomew on the show to talk about something we both feel very strongly about: the power of communication. Brett speaks on this on so many levels – including his must have book, Conscious Coaching and his program Bought In.
Brett Bartholomew is a strength and conditioning coach, author, consultant, and Founder of Art of Coaching. His experience includes working with athletes both in the team environment and private sector – along with members of the United States Special Forces and members of Fortune 500 companies. Taken together, Brett has coached a diverse range of athletes from across 23 sports world-wide—at levels ranging from youth athletes to Olympians. He’s supported numerous Super Bowl and World Series Champions, along with several professional fighters in both professional boxing as well as the UFC.
In this episode we dive into the nuts and bolts of communication, why it's so important, and the reason you must get better at it— no matter where you currently are with your skill level. We explain why.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
* 3 key areas in life where communication is a must and why improving it will get you better results and give you a competitive advantage.
* Communication represents the very essence of human condition - and yet it's rarely taught OR evaluated so that coaches can improve.
* Poor communication can cost you results and your livelihood, and how to avoid having your job taken by robots in near future (listen to the predictions of how many jobs will be lost to this).
* Why you should be filming yourself speaking and communicating on a consistent basis and asking for constructive feedback.
* Only 6% of people do THIS and why you have an opportunity to put yourself in the upper echelon of coaches.
* The 8 components of the communication process. Brett breaks them down so you can hear how you can improve as a communicator.
* Context is KEY and why it's one of the most important parts of communication. We discuss HOW to practically change.
* Verbal, non-verbal, and para-verbal communication, the missing links that are preventing you from being the best communicator.
* Brett and I dive into examples of communication that you can use to improve how you communicate.
* Most people are so scared to fail that they avoid working on communication and receiving feedback – which turns into failure in coaching, sales, marketing, and because of that: business.
* Evolution of coaches and entrepreneurs and THE biggest mistake they’re making that are stopping them from improving.
* A powerful example/story of how lack of communication could have prevented a loss of thousands of lives, and how YOU may be losing results because of your communication.
* The important factors of online communication and strategies and tips to instantly improve it and differentiate yourself.
* Want to sell better and more? Follow these mindsets and strategies Brett and I share that will help you overcome the obstacle of being great at sales.
* Execute, expand,
EP115: Raise Your Coaching Game and High Performance Secrets From The Best of The Best w/ Alan Stein Jr.
Vigor Life Podcast · EP115: Raise Your Coaching Game and High Performance Secrets from the Best w/ Alan Stein Jr.
When at the airport I always make a pitstop at the bookstore. While traveling to a speaking engagement, a book title entered my line of vision: "Raise Your Game.” As I read the cover, chapter topics and testimonials I knew I had to get it. Especially given it was from the world of basketball. From first crack, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in two days and knew I needed to get the author, Alan Stein Jr on the podcast to talk about the principles.
I later realized both Alan and I were featured in Anthony Renna’s book, “Be Like The Best”, which led me to connecting with Alan… and here we are.
Alan is a world-renowned coach, speaker and author. He spent 15+ years working the highest performing basketball players on the planet and now teaches audiences how to utilize the same strategies in business that elite athletes use to perform at a world-class level. Alan specializes in improving individual and organizational leadership, performance and accountability. He inspires and empowers everyone he works with to take immediate action and improve mindset, habits and productivity.
In this podcast we talk about principles for success, coaching, and leadership and the values and behaviors that support it to help you raise your game.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN
* The two foundational principles that success is built on and that you must adhere to if you’re going to win long-term.
* What Alan learned from Kobe Bryant about the basics, that made him the best in the world at his craft.
* Why knowing yourself first is crucial to creating a change in your life and business, as well as impacting others.
* The basics of what you’re trying to improve—whether it be your craft, your business, your marriage—and how to break them down into skill work.
* How Alan addresses “shiny object syndrome” and lack of attention by using praise, setting expectations and defining a role.
* What not to do to ensure that you're not being disrespectful to the process, your craft, and the game. Whatever your game may be.
* The importance of environment when it comes to buying into the basics and why you should seek out environments that trigger positive behaviors.
* How to get rid of distractions so you can perform at the highest level. The most disciplined people have the least amount of distractions.
* Create systems and processes to make sticking to habits easier. We share examples.
* How Kevin Durant transformed himself after hating strength training but still showed up weekly to put in work.
* People take what you do over what you say. Why you should model the behavior of your role models, and how this will help you become a high character person.
* Alan's exercise to discover your values and the process steps to become that person.
* What to do when someone has not bought into the team, and the vision.
* The self-check and the responsibility you must take as a coach to help your clients and people around you become better. Nix blaming, making excuses, and complaining.
Customer ReviewsSee All
Authentic and amazingly practical
Luka is world-class when it comes to fitness, performance, health and mindset - check out his IG and Youtube if you don’t believe me.
It’s no surprise that Vigor Life is an extension of this - no matter the topic, you’re guaranteed to gain something from every episode. Can’t recommend VL (and all of Luka’s content) enough! 🙌
Invaulable fitness and training expertise
Luke & Tex, hosts of the Vigor Life podcast, highlights all aspects of fitness, training and more in this can’t miss podcast! The hosts and expert guests offer insightful advice and information that is helpful to anyone that listens!
Luka, host of the Vigor Life Podcast, highlights all aspects of fitness, nutrition and more in this can’t miss podcast! The host and expert guests offer insightful advice and information that is helpful to anyone that listens!