Podcast by Amy Medling
DrAlyCohen - 2-2021
We are not certain why, but people with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) are found to have higher levels of BPA and other chemicals in their blood than those without PCOS, and it negatively impacts our hormones. We know there are unregulated man-made chemicals all around us, in our food, water, air, cosmetics, furniture, the list goes on. It can easily make you anxious and overwhelmed. We need practical advice on what to do and where to begin. Enter Dr. Aly Cohen. She is a board-certified rheumatologist and integrated medicine specialist, as well as an environmental health expert. Her new book makes the confusing understandable and the overwhelming easy. Listen in as we discuss:
- Endocrine (hormone) disrupting chemicals (EDCs) and their impact on PCOS, especially insulin resistance
- Practical (often free or inexpensive) tips on how to live healthy in the chemical world
- Foods which help our body detoxify
- Effect of toxins on epigenetics and PCOS
- Nutrients you need to offset some exposures
- Safer use of cell phones, tech toys, and gadgets
150- It's Not Just Acne- Getting to the Root of PCOS Acne
Acne is one of the most common, frustrating, and heartbreaking symptoms of PCOS. Dr. Shayne Peter is a functional medicine doctor and holistic dermatology specialist who's helped thousands of women resolve their acne. In this podcast we discuss nutritional deficiencies, skin care products, and the role of hormones in getting to the root cause of acne. Listen in or read the transcript as we discuss:
- clues acne can give you about your health
- minerals and vitamins that can help resolve PCOS acne
- skin care products that help and hurt
- role of the microbiome on acne
- impact of alcohol on acne
149 - Jodi - Cohen - 1-2021.mp3
Jodi Cohen is a best-selling author, award-winning journalist, and founder of Vibrant Blue Oils. She is also the author of the brand new, fantastic book, Essential Oils to Boost the Brain and Heal the Body. Essential oils can be a powerful tool in your PCOS toolbox.
Jodi offers practical advice that we can all use. Listen in or read the transcript as we discuss:
- Ways to use essential oils to manage PCOS symptoms such as sleep, stress, fatigue, anxiety, brain fog, depression, blood sugar challenges, and more
- Adrenal blend for chronic stress
- Inhaling vs. topical vs. ingesting essential oils
- Fastest way to calm anxiety or a panic attack
- Essential oils to improve vagus nerve function and why you need that
148- Vegetarian or Vegan Diet for PCOS?
There is no such thing as a “PCOS Diet.” Each person is different, and we each respond to different foods in unique ways. The heart of the PCOS Diva message is to find the foods that fuel your body, reduce inflammation, and leave you feeling great. A plant-rich diet is key for most people, but is a vegetarian or vegan diet right for you? Registered Dietitian Martha McKittrick returns to the podcast to answer this question and many more. Listen in or read the transcript as we discuss:
- Pros and cons of a vegetarian/vegan diet
- How to get enough protein on a plant-based diet without too many carbs
- Practical tips on how to add more plant-based foods at every meal
- How to approach soy and dairy
- Supplements to consider when going vegetarian
147- Epstein-Barr Virus the Root of Your Symptoms?
If you have PCOS and also struggle with autoimmune issues like Hashimoto's, IBS, celiac, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, or chronic fatigue syndrome, then this episode is for you. Dr. Kasia Kines, one of the world’s leading experts on the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and Amy discuss the possible underlying factor of all of those autoimmune issues, as well as other symptoms that you haven't really been able to get to the root of such as celiac, MS, rheumatoid arthritis, IBD, and diabetes. Did you have mononucleosis (mono) in your youth? Listen in (or read the transcript) as we discuss:
- What is Epstein-Barr virus?
- Could EBV be triggering some of your PCOS symptoms?
- Possible EBV symptoms including chronic brain fog, achiness, autoimmune disorders, enlarged lymph nodes, headaches, low platelets, mouth ulceration, skin rashes, mast cell issues, or allergies
- Steps you can take to recover
- Suggested lab tests
146 - The Opportunity in Your Diagnosis with Stacey Robbins
Stacey Robbins is an inspiration. I love her sense of humor and sage approach to illness, healing, aging, and life in general. She encourages us to use every circumstance, including a diagnosis, to transform our victim mindset, rediscover our sense of humor, and learn to love ourselves again. Listen in (or read the transcript) as we discuss her journey through PCOS and Hashimoto’s, extreme weight gain and loss, healing, and finding the path to loving herself. Many of us will find commonality with her as she describes how it took her diagnosis to convince her to listen to her body, seize the opportunity, and heal from the soul out. No matter where you are in your journey, you owe it to yourself to hear her wisdom about how to heal and truly thrive.
Customer ReviewsSee All
Amy and her guests provide amazing insight and guidance to managing PCOS. Engaging and informative, a must-listen podcast if you’re looking for information about PCOS!
Finally A Comprehensive Understanding of PCOS
I couldn’t believe it when I stumbled across this podcast and site online. After two diligent years of researching and reading countless medical articles trying to understand adrenal PCOS and all the symptoms (acne, androgenic hair loss, high DHEAS) it was such a relief to see that over half of these podcasts were the exact topics I’ve been trying to find and learn more about. So few practitioners even recognize various PCOS types no less all the minutiae physiologically and genetically within each category. It’s information sharing like this that helps us take control of our health! Thank you for bringing to light and showing a willingness to explore such a difficult syndrome that plagues so many women! (As if we didn’t have enough to worry about!)
I just recently started listening to PCOS Diva and i absolutely love it! I listen on my way to and from work and I look forward to it every day! Listening makes me motivated and excited that I am becoming more educated from experts. 10/10 recommend!!